Weekly Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

    Message 1 of 32 , May 7, 2005
      "Unfortunately, the ego also got into religion. When it's `I, me
      mine,' its all egoistic. `My religion, my God.' Religion is not for
      that--it's to get rid of the ego, to clean up the ego. Many more
      people have died in the name of God and religion than in all the wars
      and natural calamities. Is that the purpose of religion? Is that what
      all these great sages and saints taught us? No. Strictly speaking, we
      all have a religion of our own. Every individual has his or her own
      religion, but with a common purpose: to experience the God within. The
      meaning of `religion' is getting back, to go back to God.

      God bless you. Om Shanthi, Shanthi, Shanthi."

      Subscribe for free to Weekly Words of Wisdom by sending an email to:
      wlist@...
      Message 32 of 32 , Jan 3, 2009
        What Makes You Beautiful?

        "The more you worry about your weight,
        the more sick you become. The worry itself
        causes increase in weight because many
        people eat a lot when they worry. The more
        you think of weight, the more weight you
        will have. As you think, so you become.
        Worry is the most dangerous disease. Keep
        the mind healthy always. If someone doesn't
        want to like you because of your weight, that
        person is interested only in your flesh, not
        in your qualities. What will make a person
        beautiful? The beauty of wisdom that dawns
        through tranquility of mind. We have enough
        troubles and worries. Yogis should not be
        bothered with weight issues. Let us think
        of more important things in life that could
        bring peace, joy and harmony.

        For more by and about Swamiji:
        http://yogaville.org/