Attention and freedom/free will

  • ser_el_ser
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 13, 2005
      It is really a joy to read the latest posts here.

      Once there was a group of people asking about freedom, free will, etc.
      We can notice that there are the conditionings of mind, the different influences and
      circumstances around us, the position of the planets in the astral chart... :).....and
      who knows how many things that apparently keep us tortured and suffering because
      we feel we are not free, or because things don´t go the way we would like.

      I have come to the conclusion that the only true freedom -or free will- consists in the
      ability of foccusing attention in any direction, or any intended direction we choose.
      This has been my experience, that this is absolute free will. Nothing and nobody can
      obstruct this if we do not allow it to be so. Maybe not easy for the beginner, but very
      possible and trainable.

      This freedom is available to anybody at any moment.
      In fact, this is what we all do. In most cases, without even noticing it, not being
      conscious of it. Allowing the fleeting thoughts to trap our attention, without the
      understanding that this thoughts will leave sooner or later, that there is always the
      possibility of not paying attention to them, or to do so, if this is the choice.

      So whenever there is an intention, a sensation, perception, feeling, intuition,
      projection, there is a place where we are foccusing attention.

      The main purpose of meditation is to learn to foccus attention on attention itself.
      Then freedom is felt in its biggest form... and with it, a joy not comparable to
      anything else.

      Somebody said reccently in this forum that meditation does not lead us to any
      place, I think M. Read. I agree, of course, but in mentioning these things I would add
      that meditation allows one to discover that the "place", the goal, the mystery, is
      always the case and possible in attention itself...now. Let´s Grace be.

      In this sense, attention not being directed to anything is pure Self. And attention
      directed to an object (gross or subtle) is maya or the world or the life of the
      individual, or suffering in the case of not being conscious of this happening life is.

      Feeling very good to see so much light arround.

      Maria L