WE ARE GOVERNED BY THE PAST

  • subhash naik
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 12, 2005
      Evolution has two forces.There is a push from the back and there is a pull from the
      front.If there is an evolutionary goal already laid down in the very far past when
      creation was brought into existence,then the very first organism which was
      created,has only the pull of evolution,there was nothing to push it from behind.But
      as life-forms advanced on the evolutionary path,they managed to create a large past
      for themselves,a historical past,a past of impressions which we call samskaras.
      Now it is precisely this past which,instead of pushing us from behind,manages to
      pull us back from behind.So the samskara(impressions) is a very important thing
      because it acts in an anti-evolutionary way.Instead of having a push from the back
      and a pull from the front,we have a pull from the front and an opposing pull from the
      back so that we are held powerlessly in a situation which we cannot overcome.This
      pull from the back is precisely what we have to overcome,because the pull from the
      front is always acting on us.
      We are slaves of our samskaras (impressions).This idea that we are achieving
      success,we are making our money,we are teaching our students,has gained such a
      strong hold on the human mind that we think we are achieving,we are doing.When
      we distinguish between the spiritual life and the worldly life,the worldly life is strictly
      governed by our past samskaras.But unfortunately,we don't realise that we are
      slaves of of our samskaras,not only of our wishes.Because wishes arise from
      samskaras. (cont.)
    • subhash naik
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 13, 2005
        I believe that when there are no samskaras(impressions),there will be no wishes.Till
        then,wishes come as something which impels us to action, to thought and action in
        a particular direction,and we think we are wishing,we are thinking,we are
        achieving.The successful people suffer from this illusion much more than he
        unsuccessful people,because you would find that poor people, unsuccessful
        people,dropouts, at least they appeal to God for help.The successful,the rich,they
        think they have achieved and they forget God.
        So we must remember that even our successes or our failures are part of our
        samskara (impressions) not our wisdom,not our work.When we associate our
        present success with our present activity or contary-wise,our present failure with our
        present activity,we are being even more fools because neither is true.The
        successful man of today is successful of a past samskara which gives him the
        good life that he is now enjoying.The miserable man of today is miserable because
        of some past samskara of which he is undergoing bhoga (result of th past action)
        today.His work may be good.Therefore you find there are good people who are
        putting in honest,sincere work,who get kicked out job after job and are on the
        streets. (CONT.)
      • subhash naik
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 13, 2005
          So when i come to understand that,"My material life is absolutely fixed,I am rich not
          because I am wise,not because I am intelligent,not because I have done wonders of
          financial jugglery,but because I am destined or, shall I say,punished to be
          rich!"Please rember the poor man is punished with poverty and the rich man is
          punished with riched.Both are bhoga of their respective samskaras.You are a slave
          of your riches as he is a slave of his poverety.You have no choice!
          So I request you to change before it is too late,because change of direction is
          possible at any instant of time.One does not have to wait.But when change is
          necessary and you wait,the longer you wait,the more you wait,the more troublesome
          that change is,the more expensive that chjange is.
          (By P.Rajagoplachari He is the president of SHRI RAM CHANDRA MISSION

          Next RELIGION AND SPRITUALITY
        • jogeshwarmahanta
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 13, 2005
            Dear Shri Naik,
            Namaskar. The very purpose of meditation is to get rid
            of the past. Prgress depends upon upto what extent one is
            deconditioned and reconditioned.
            Regards,
            jogeshwar.

            --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "subhash naik"