Thoughts

  • lovepeaceyes2000
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 11, 2005
      Was asked of me and I wondered, so I pass it to you my brothers and
      sisters: Will Western Buddhism become its own form of Buddhism, like
      Zen or Tibetan Buddhism?

      How much of what has been brought to the West is Buddhist vs
      cultural?

      Will we see a time when dharma centers have chairs and no cushions?
      When everything is done exclusively in the vernacular (except the
      mantras)?

      Thoughts?

      Rama
    • jasonjamesmorgan
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 11, 2005
        Hello,

        Remembered this, when I read your question.
        Namaste
        Om Namah Shivaya
        Jason James Morgan

        www.celibacy.info

        Freaked Out In San Francisco
        By simply upholding the moral dharma the Dalai Lama manages to shock
        California's "gay buddhists"

        Your Holiness, what do you think of homosexuality?
        Dalai Lama:
        "It's part of what we Buddhists call 'bad sexual conduct.'
        Sexual organs were created for reproduction between the male element and
        the female element and everything that deviates from that is not
        acceptable from a Buddhist point of view. Between a man and [another]
        man,a woman and another woman, in the mouth, the anus,or even using a
        hand." (the DL mimes masturbation)...
        So you share this view with Christianity?
        Dalai Lama:
        "We share much more than that: the same philosophy of love of one's
        neighbor, the aspiration to elevate a human being above his/her vices,
        compassion and forgiveness..."
        June 1997, San Francisco

        COMMENT: The Dalai Lama was meeting with an odd bunch, San
        Francisco's "gay buddhists." A silly development of recent years is
        that of social radicals adopting Buddhism as a pet religion. I imagine
        it serves to mark their contempt for the religions of their forebears,
        as well as offering trendy glamour. In California it is much more
        important to appear to be something than to actually be anything. Maybe
        for decided homosexuals Buddhism is a good luck charm to clutch on that
        perilous flight from anscestral wisdom and natural order.

        Unfortunately for them, all strains of Buddhism -- and the eastern
        religions in general -- are as morally rigorous as the Christianity
        they flee. Even arguably more so. After the Dalai Lama briefed them on
        the obvious, the "gay buddhists" expressed dismay. Formerly a darling
        of the liberal "new age," suddenly the Dalai Lama was a backward old
        monk needing an update; needing to get with the program.

        Californians, sad to say, are expert at dumbing down the dharma
        (Buddhism), and mucking up the yoga (Hinduism). Tirelessly inventive as
        gays are, the "gay buddhists" of Saint Francisco promptly announced the
        need for a "new 21st century buddhism." I surmise they mean a "new"
        Buddhism that better comports with, um, old-fashioned carnal desire. It
        is a pity that before they got a fancy for this profound and venerable
        religion they didn't note Buddha's pivotal teaching: the killing out of
        lust and desire. Abundant verses in the literature go beyond hinting:

        "From lust comes grief, from lust comes fear; he who is free from lust
        neither sorrows nor fears."
        --The Dhammapada

        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "lovepeaceyes2000"
        <lovepeaceyes2000@y...> wrote:

        > Was asked of me and I wondered, so I pass it to you my brothers and
        > sisters: Will Western Buddhism become its own form of Buddhism, like
        > Zen or Tibetan Buddhism?
        >
        > How much of what has been brought to the West is Buddhist vs
        > cultural?
        >
        > Will we see a time when dharma centers have chairs and no cushions?
        > When everything is done exclusively in the vernacular (except the
        > mantras)?
        >
        > Thoughts?
        >
        > Rama
      • jodyrrr
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 11, 2005
          There you go, ignorantly disparaging your hero.

          Tsk, tsk.

          --jody.

          --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, jasonjamesmorgan