Right Effort

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 17, 2002
      A friend of ours was walking down a deserted Mexican beach at
      sunset. As he walked along, he began to see another man in the
      distance. As he grew nearer, he noticed that the local native
      kept leaning down, picking something up and throwing it out into
      the water. Time and again he kept hurling things out into the
      ocean.

      As our friend approached even closer, he noticed that the man was
      picking up starfish that had been washed up on the beach and, one
      at a time, was throwing them back into the water.

      Our friend was puzzled. He approached the man and said, Good
      evening, friend. I was wondering what you were doing."

      "I'm throwing these starfish back into the ocean. You see it's
      low tide right now and all of these starfish have washed up onto
      shore. If I don't throw them back into the sea, they'll die up
      here from lack of oxygen."

      "I understand," my friend replied, "but there must be thousands of
      starfish on this beach. There are simply too many. And don't you
      realize that this is probably happening on hundreds of beaches all
      up and down the coast. Can't you see that you can't possibly make
      a difference?"

      The local native smiled, bent down and picked up yet another
      starfish; and as he threw it back into the sea, he replied,"Made a
      difference to that one."