Re: Qualified non-dualism or non-dualism as per Papa Ramdas

  • jasonjamesmorgan
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 4 8:33 PM
      Hello,

      Beautiful qoutes. I always loved how Sri Ramakrishna explained
      things. So crafty, so honest.

      I believe Sri Ramakrishna and Sri Chatainya proved that the end
      results of the bhakti sadhana is non-dual realization.

      I believe Sri Adi Sankara and Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi proved
      that the end result of the gnana sadhana is non-dual realization.

      A muslim, a christian, a jew, and indian, and an american indian go
      to the same well, collect the same water, but call the water and the
      bucket that collects it by different names.

      I salute you
      Om Namah Shivaya
      Jason James Morgan

      <no_reply@y...> wrote:

      > Some insight by Papa Ramdas.........
      >
      > Once, to illustrate the futility of empty, theoretical advaitic
      > knowledge, Papa narrated the following story. He was staying in a
      > small mandir in Jhansi when a man approached him and asked, "Who
      are you?"

      > "I am Ramdas," he replied simply.
      >
      > "No, you speak a lie there," returned his visitor. "You are Ram
      > Himself. When you declare you are Ramdas, you do not know what you
      > say. God is everything and in everything. He is in you and so you
      are
      > He. Confess it right away.
      >
      > "True, dear friend," Ramdas replied, "God is everything. But at the
      > same time, it must be noted God is one, and when He is in you and
      > everywhere around you, may I humbly ask to whom you are putting this
      > question?"
      >
      > After a little reflection, the man could only answer, "Well, I have
      > put the question to myself ".
      >
      > Papa always stressed the necessity of absolute honesty and sincerity
      > as essential in the great Quest. Better an honest, dualistic bhakti
      > than a hypocritical advaita. Whereas bhakti, however dualistic, will
      > lead ultimately to jnana as jnana mata, the mother of jnana, advaita
      > practised only with the head leads merely to confusion and
      hypocrisy.

      > Another incident illustrates this point well. When Papa was staying
      at
      > Mount Abu he was taken to meet a "great saint", Swami
      Kaivalyananda, a
      > young sannyasin living in a cave, his body completely shaved, but
      > surrounded by a number of books.
      >
      > Papa approached him and prostrated.
      >
      > With a look of surprise, the sannyasin asked, "To whom are you
      > offering this salutation?"
      >
      > "To Ram," Papa replied.
      >
      > "Who are you?"
      >
      > "Ramdas. "
      >
      > "Ramdas. Ramdas, funny, isn't it? There is only one Truth. Why do
      you
      > assume this false duality?"
      >
      > "It is Ram Himself, being One, who has chosen to be many. "
      >
      > "Wrong," retorted the advaitin. "He is always One; many is false,
      > illusion."
      >
      > "Truth has become God and His devotee for the sake of lila, the
      divine
      > play," Papa responded.
      >
      > "Why play?"
      >
      > "For love and bliss; so when Ramdas prostrates before you, it is
      > yourself who do it in the form of Ramdas," Papa went on.
      >
      > "Bosh!" cut in the sannyasin. "There is only one, never two." "Then
      > whom are you talking, dear Swamiji," asked Papa, pulling out his
      > brahmastra.
      >
      > The sannyasin reflected a while and had to reply, "To myself".
      >
      > "Exactly. You assume there are two although in the light of absolute
      > Truth there is only one."
      >
      > "No, no--no realised person believes in duality," maintained the
      > advaitin, getting jumpy. "Here, take this book and read it. You will
      > understand things more clearly, I assure you. It is written by me."
      He
      > pressed Papa to accept it. Noticing the author's name on the cover,
      > Papa noted that he referred to himself as "Swami Kaivalyananda,
      M.A."!