Re: [Meditation Society of America] Qualified non-dualism or non-dualism

  • Bruce Morgen
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 3 12:48 PM
      jasonjamesmorgan wrote:

      >Hello,
      >
      >1. If you were to get a splinter in your foot, do you remove it?

      Of course!

      >Or do you realize there is no foot, no splinter, no pain.

      That too....

      >Ramana sat to close to the fire once and severely burnt his legs.

      The revered saint was also
      a foolish little man in a
      dhoti.

      >2. I am told you non-dual types believe in nothing.

      Who are these "non-dual types?"
      Non-duality, being who and what
      we are, requires no belief.
      Given that as a visceral and
      ongoing realization, the psyche
      has no need to believe other
      than as a simple, situationsal
      survival device -- e.g. the
      local weather forecast.

      >Do you believe
      >in yourself? If you only accept your awareness, do you accept mine?

      There isn't anything above
      that requires belief or
      acceptance from here, is
      there? There questions
      are moot.

      >If you accept mine, you must accept God.

      See above -- awareness has no
      owner, and acceptance isn't
      necessary or relevant.

      >That in which we live, move
      >and have our being.

      ...aka "maya," the essentially
      illusory realm of form, the
      manifest universe -- is this
      "God?"

      >Qualified non-dualism.

      Iirc, Jesus is reported to have
      said," Be thou in this world but
      no of it."

      >3. Do you accept qualified non-dualism? Or do you only practice non-
      >dualsim?

      The suffix "ism" implies a
      belief system, therefore the
      adherent of "non-dualism" is
      a believer more akin to a
      conventional religionist than
      to the realizer(s) s/he sees
      as "guru" or some such.

      >If so, do you have sex, enjoy food, etc.?

      Yes, intensely. :-P

      >The difference
      >between tasting sugar and being sugar. Do you act non-dual(ie
      >Ramana) or are you a hipocrit and really practice qualified non-
      >dualism(ie papaji). Act non-dual as well as talk non-dual.

      The realizer is human, Ramana
      had a sheltered life and the
      option of eccentrically
      acting out "non-dual" for his
      chelas visitors.

      >Namaste
      >Om Namah Shivaya
      >Jason James Morgan

      Right back atcha!
    • jasonjamesmorgan
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 3 1:09 PM
        Hello,

        You say ramana had a shelterd life. This I dont get. Leaving home,
        to sit on a mountain side the rest of the life, with no concern for
        food or shelter????? This is non-dual. The ashram was not built
        around him for many years, who sheltered him before this?

        Working and paying rent, buying food, having sex etc. this is
        qualified non-dual"ism". There is no shame in this. Just be real.

        Your skillfull avoidence of my questions, I see right thru. Do you
        accept my awareness? Or am I a figment of your imagination?

        Why do you remove the splinter? Because you feel, you are aware of
        your foot. Was ramana aware of his legs? As for calling him
        foolish, I know you mean this this in a loving, joking context, but
        come on. I mean, do you really believe that the satguru for the 1900
        was a fool?

        Namaste
        Om Namah Shivaya
        Jason James Morgan

      • Bruce Morgen
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 3 1:25 PM
          jasonjamesmorgan wrote:

          >Hello,
          >
          >You say ramana had a shelterd life. This I dont get. Leaving home,
          >to sit on a mountain side the rest of the life, with no concern for
          >food or shelter????? This is non-dual.

          ...or very canny, given the
          culture he lived in....

          >The ashram was not built
          >around him for many years, who sheltered him before this?

          A "sheltered life" doesn't
          imply physical shelter.

          >Working and paying rent, buying food, having sex etc. this is
          >qualified non-dual"ism". There is no shame in this. Just be real.

          Thanks for the reassuring
          instruction. ;-)

          >Your skillfull avoidence of my questions, I see right thru. Do you
          >accept my awareness? Or am I a figment of your imagination?

          Your question remains moot
          -- the closing elaboration
          is just plain silly. There
          are organisms and there is
          awareness, which is only
          nominally owned by
          organisms.

          >Why do you remove the splinter? Because you feel, you are aware of
          >your foot. Was ramana aware of his legs?

          Who knows? Who cares?

          >As for calling him
          >foolish, I know you mean this this in a loving, joking context, but
          >come on. I mean, do you really believe that the satguru for the 1900
          >was a fool?

          Yes, and also of course a
          sage. His "sheltered" status
          facilitated both -- those of
          us with householder
          responsibilities don't have
          the option of acting out
          non-duality so overtly.

          >Namaste
          >Om Namah Shivaya
          >Jason James Morgan
          >

          >--- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Morgen
          ><editor@j...> wrote:
          >

          >>jasonjamesmorgan wrote:
          >>

          >>>Hello,
          >>>
          >>>1. If you were to get a splinter in your foot, do you remove it?
          >>>

          >>Of course!
          >>

          >>>Or do you realize there is no foot, no splinter, no pain.
          >>>

          >>That too....
          >>

          >>>Ramana sat to close to the fire once and severely burnt his legs.
          >>>

          >>The revered saint was also
          >>a foolish little man in a
          >>dhoti.
          >>

          >>>2. I am told you non-dual types believe in nothing.
          >>>

          >>Who are these "non-dual types?"
          >>Non-duality, being who and what
          >>we are, requires no belief.
          >>Given that as a visceral and
          >>ongoing realization, the psyche
          >>has no need to believe other
          >>than as a simple, situationsal
          >>survival device -- e.g. the
          >>local weather forecast.
          >>

          >>>Do you believe
          >>>in yourself? If you only accept your awareness, do you accept
          >>>

          >mine?
          >

          >>There isn't anything above
          >>that requires belief or
          >>acceptance from here, is
          >>there? There questions
          >>are moot.
          >>

          >>>If you accept mine, you must accept God.
          >>>

          >>See above -- awareness has no
          >>owner, and acceptance isn't
          >>necessary or relevant.
          >>

          >>>That in which we live, move
          >>>and have our being.
          >>>

          >>...aka "maya," the essentially
          >>illusory realm of form, the
          >>manifest universe -- is this
          >>"God?"
          >>

          >>>Qualified non-dualism.
          >>>

          >>Iirc, Jesus is reported to have
          >>said," Be thou in this world but
          >>no of it."
          >>

          >>>3. Do you accept qualified non-dualism? Or do you only practice
          >>>

          >non-
          >

          >>>dualsim?
          >>>

          >>The suffix "ism" implies a
          >>belief system, therefore the
          >>adherent of "non-dualism" is
          >>a believer more akin to a
          >>conventional religionist than
          >>to the realizer(s) s/he sees
          >>as "guru" or some such.
          >>

          >>>If so, do you have sex, enjoy food, etc.?
          >>>

          >>Yes, intensely. :-P
          >>

          >>>The difference
          >>>between tasting sugar and being sugar. Do you act non-dual(ie
          >>>Ramana) or are you a hipocrit and really practice qualified non-
          >>>dualism(ie papaji). Act non-dual as well as talk non-dual.
          >>>

          >>The realizer is human, Ramana
          >>had a sheltered life and the
          >>option of eccentrically
          >>acting out "non-dual" for his
          >>chelas visitors.
          >>

          >>>Namaste
          >>>Om Namah Shivaya
          >>>Jason James Morgan
          >>>

          >>Right back atcha!

        • jasonjamesmorgan
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 3 1:38 PM
            Hello,

            Thanks for playing with me.

            > Your question remains moot
            > -- the closing elaboration
            > is just plain silly. There
            > are organisms and there is
            > awareness, which is only
            > nominally owned by
            > organisms.

            This is qualified non-dualsim.

            > Yes, and also of course a
            > sage. His "sheltered" status
            > facilitated both -- those of
            > us with householder
            > responsibilities don't have
            > the option of acting out
            > non-duality so overtly.

            Was not Ramana a housholder before he left. This seems a copout, and
            an insult to ramanas greatness. Of course indian society does
            support the renuciates. But if you were so inclined, you could
            renounce the world here in the west as well. Homeless shelters would
            feed you and house you, etc.

            This is my point, westerners need to realize the difference between
            qualified non-dualsim and non-dualism.

            The difference between tasting sugar(qualified non-dualism) and being
            sugar(non-dual)

            non-dualism is ramana.
            qualified non-dualism is ramakrishna
            A hipocrit who says he is sugar, but really tastes sugar is Papaji.

            There is nothing wrong with tasting the sugar. Unless they delude
            themselves with papaji teachings and only talk the talk, and dont
            walk the walk.

            Much love
            Namaste
            Om Namah Shivaya
            Jason James Morgan
          • Bruce Morgen
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 3 2:32 PM
              jasonjamesmorgan wrote:

              >Hello,
              >
              >Thanks for playing with me.
              >

              >>Your question remains moot
              >>-- the closing elaboration
              >>is just plain silly. There
              >>are organisms and there is
              >>awareness, which is only
              >>nominally owned by
              >>organisms.
              >>

              >This is qualified non-dualsim.

              OK, label noted.

              >>Yes, and also of course a
              >>sage. His "sheltered" status
              >>facilitated both -- those of
              >>us with householder
              >>responsibilities don't have
              >>the option of acting out
              >>non-duality so overtly.
              >>

              >Was not Ramana a housholder before he left.

              No, he went from his parents'
              home directly to renunciation
              afaik.

              >This seems a copout, and
              >an insult to ramanas greatness.

              If Bhagavan is insulted,
              perhaps he'll somehow let me
              know -- I'll gladly apologize.
              :-P

              >Of course indian society does
              >support the renuciates.

              Indeed it does.

              >But if you were so inclined, you could
              >renounce the world here in the west as well. Homeless shelters would
              >feed you and house you, etc.

              Free dental care might be a
              nice bonus!

              >This is my point, westerners need to realize the difference between
              >qualified non-dualsim and non-dualism.

              If you say so -- I don't see
              any such need, especially since
              it would be such a remarkable
              event for a Ramana-like course
              of life to occur here in the
              west. The cultural acceptance
              of the sadhu as a respectable,
              even revered member of society
              is what facilitated (along with
              his personal determination, of
              course) the iconic Ramana so
              many of use admire today. I
              would maintain that such would
              not be possible in the west.
              The same goes for the Buddha,
              who also made his livelihood
              with a beggar's bowl -- for
              such a life to occur requires
              tolerance, approval, and support
              from those who must earn their
              daily bread. That is not to be
              had in the cities of America and
              Europe today.

              >The difference between tasting sugar(qualified non-dualism) and being
              >sugar(non-dual)
              >
              >non-dualism is ramana.
              >qualified non-dualism is ramakrishna
              >A hipocrit who says he is sugar, but really tastes sugar is Papaji.

              We all taste, even Ramana
              did. Imo he was skillfully
              playing a chosen role as an
              extended teaching device.

              >There is nothing wrong with tasting the sugar.

              There is no choice about it
              -- to be incarnated is to
              taste. Period.

              >Unless they delude
              >themselves with papaji teachings and only talk the talk, and dont
              >walk the walk.

              It seems we are in agreement
              concerning Papaji and his
              several western disciples
              with their untenable reliance
              on Adviataspeak[tm]. :-)

              >Much love
              >Namaste
              >Om Namah Shivaya
              >Jason James Morgan

              ...and to you, sir!
            • jasonjamesmorgan
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 3 3:26 PM
                Hello,

                Honestly, I dont feel that being recognized for your renuciation has
                anything to do with it. What of the dudes that go into the forest,
                and are never helped. I have heard of one renuciate, who has rich
                family in toronto, but spends his time on the streets of calgary. He
                seemed to me, to be just like any other renuciate you might meet in
                india.

                Although I have found that eating and sleeping with homeless addicts
                is not conducive to sadhana, I do not think it would make it
                impossible. Who knows how many people renounce in north america.
                For as you say, who would be here to revere them. They would go
                unnoticed.

                I know I was not steadfast eneogh to be a renunciate here in
                calgary. But that may be because of my former relation to the
                underground.

                Anyways, much love to you, and thank you for your time.
                I salute you.

                Namaste
                Om Namah Shivaya
                Jason James Morgan

              • Greg Goode
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 4 4:53 AM
                  Section 1

                  Nice dialoguing, Bruce!

                  --Greg

                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 4 7:40 AM
                    Thank you, old friend -- and
                    thanks also to that fine
                    Canadian fellow who spells
                    his surname so strangely! :-)

                    Much love -- Bruce

                    Greg Goode wrote:

                    > Nice dialoguing, Bruce!
                    >

                    > --Greg

                  • Jeff Belyea
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 4 7:56 AM
                      Nice log rolling, Greg.

                      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Goode"
                      <goode@d...> wrote:
                      > Nice dialoguing, Bruce!
                      >

                      > --Greg
                      >

                      > ________________________________

                    • Bruce Morgen
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 4 8:07 AM
                        "The exchanging of favors or
                        praise, as among artists,
                        critics, or academics," Jeffji?
                        I confess I once attempted to
                        give Gregji an old snare drum,
                        but he turned me down, citing
                        lack of room for it in his
                        apartment.

                        Jeff Belyea wrote:

                        >Nice log rolling, Greg.
                        >
                        >--- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Goode"
                        ><goode@d...> wrote:
                        >

                        >>Nice dialoguing, Bruce!
                        >>

                        >>--Greg
                        >>

                        >>________________________________

                      • Jeff Belyea
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 4 8:17 AM
                          Snare drum: Advaitaspeak (TM)?

                          <editor@j...> wrote:

                          > "The exchanging of favors or
                          > praise, as among artists,
                          > critics, or academics," Jeffji?
                          > I confess I once attempted to
                          > give Gregji an old snare drum,
                          > but he turned me down, citing
                          > lack of room for it in his
                          > apartment.
                          >

                          > Jeff Belyea wrote:
                          >
                          > >Nice log rolling, Greg.
                          > >
                          > >--- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Goode"
                          > ><goode@d...> wrote:
                          > >

                          > >>Nice dialoguing, Bruce!
                          > >>

                          > >>--Greg
                          > >>

                          > >>________________________________

                        • Bruce Morgen
                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 4 8:49 AM
                            Not at all -- I found out
                            that he likes to hit things
                            rhythmically on occasion,
                            so I figured to give him
                            something appropriate for
                            that activity. Sometimes a
                            drum is just a drum and a
                            compliment is just a
                            compliment.

                            Jeff Belyea wrote:

                            >Snare drum: Advaitaspeak (TM)?
                            >
                            >--- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Morgen
                            ><editor@j...> wrote:
                            >

                            >>"The exchanging of favors or
                            >>praise, as among artists,
                            >>critics, or academics," Jeffji?
                            >>I confess I once attempted to
                            >>give Gregji an old snare drum,
                            >>but he turned me down, citing
                            >>lack of room for it in his
                            >>apartment.
                            >>

                            >>Jeff Belyea wrote:
                            >>

                            >>>Nice log rolling, Greg.
                            >>>
                            >>>--- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Goode"

                          • Jeff Belyea
                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 4 1:55 PM
                              And sometimes a pun
                              is just a pun.

                              <editor@j...> wrote:

                              > Not at all -- I found out
                              > that he likes to hit things
                              > rhythmically on occasion,
                              > so I figured to give him
                              > something appropriate for
                              > that activity. Sometimes a
                              > drum is just a drum and a
                              > compliment is just a
                              > compliment.
                              >

                              > Jeff Belyea wrote:
                              >
                              > >Snare drum: Advaitaspeak (TM)?
                              > >
                              > >--- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Morgen
                              > ><editor@j...> wrote:
                              > >

                              > >>"The exchanging of favors or
                              > >>praise, as among artists,
                              > >>critics, or academics," Jeffji?
                              > >>I confess I once attempted to
                              > >>give Gregji an old snare drum,
                              > >>but he turned me down, citing
                              > >>lack of room for it in his
                              > >>apartment.

                            • Sandeep
                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 7 10:34 AM
                                Yoo-hoo JJM,

                                A somewhat dated post...

                                Some two cents...

                                Message 15 of 16 , Apr 7 10:13 PM
                                  Hello,

                                  The Holy Mother prepares food according to the childs temperments.

                                  Let us see if I can cook some good old fashion, home cooked non-dual
                                  Bhakti, non-dual Gnani style. I get the feeling it would be less
                                  spicy.

                                  --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Sandeep"
                                  <sandeep1960@y...> wrote:
                                  > Yoo-hoo JJM,
                                  >
                                  > A somewhat dated post...
                                  >
                                  > Some two cents...

                                  JJM. A mental splinter, like a thought can be removed with non-
                                  identification.

                                  A phiscial splinter, like a splinter :), can be removed with tweezers.

                                  The difference between sahaja savikalpa samadhi and sahaja nirvikalpa
                                  samadhi is that one dude would have moved back from the fire, to the
                                  other there was no fire, and no legs.

                                  I guess the defence mechanism of refutation might come from believing
                                  that you have the same power as the president.

                                  A king demand a yogi tell him a special mantra. The yogi refused.
                                  When asked he sayed it would not work for him. The king tripped out
                                  and demanded to know why. Just then the yogi tripped out and ordered
                                  a guard nearby to sieze the king. The guard did not even blink. The
                                  king then got angrier and odered the guard to sieze the yogi. The
                                  yogi became histarical with laughter when the gaurd grabbed him. The
                                  yogi said he had just demonstrated why it would not work.

                                  What if there is such things as avatars? Miracles........

                                  So this distinction is valid in my books.
                                  Ramana was the Man.

                                  If you want to know my description of the distinction between
                                  Savikalpa Samadhi and Nirvikalpa Samadhi, I am sure it is still
                                  floating around on web. Type my full name in exact search in
                                  google. Feel free to send me refutations. I enjoy learning more
                                  than teaching.

                                  > Ramana sat to close to the fire once and severely burnt his legs.
                                  >
                                  > Ramana did not.
                                  > Yes the psycho-somatic organism which maybe labeled "Ramana",
                                  Buddha", "George W Bush/Osama Ben laden".......

                                  > ......so long such an organism is "alive"..........if it sits on
                                  a hot stove, .......the organism will rapidly ascend.

                                  JJM. So sit on a hot stove. The natural abidance in the effulgence
                                  of Self, is preceded by the un-natural abidance in the effulgence of
                                  Self.

                                  He however was already boiled, a fresh pot.

                                  Sahaja Nirvikalpa Samadhi is different than Sahaja Savikalpa
                                  Samadhi. Those words of mine alluded to it.

                                  See different groups post at bottom( I just typed it and dont feel
                                  like retyping it)

                                  > 2. I am told you non-dual types believe in nothing.
                                  >

                                  > Not even that nothing.
                                  >
                                  > And there is no non-dual types.
                                  >
                                  > Or to put it in another manner........there is not a whit
                                  difference between a non-dual type and a dual-type.

                                  JJM. See post at bottom.

                                  > Do you believe in yourself?
                                  >

                                  > What is this "yourself"?

                                  JJM. Who read and then answered this post? That is "your"Self as I
                                  did not read and answer my post.

                                  > If you only accept your awareness, do you accept mine?
                                  >

                                  > There is no "your" or "my" awareness.

                                  JJM. Truth is apparent. So is honesty. Honesty is accepting neither
                                  duality or oneness as you say. So, honestly, Jason is mine, Sandeep
                                  is yours. I will hang on to Jason for the time being. If your
                                  looking to give away Sandeep, I'll pass.

                                  > If you accept mine, you must accept God. That in which we live,
                                  move
                                  > and have our being. Qualified non-dualism.
                                  >
                                  > Aceept whatever rocks.
                                  >
                                  > Reject whatever rocks
                                  >
                                  > Both sneezings of the dreamt up character of the last night sleep
                                  dream.

                                  JJM. The waking body is just as fleeting as the dream body. Where
                                  is your body in deep sleep, or nirvikalpa samdhi. Could we chat in
                                  the later "states". We are now. What does that tell ya?

                                  > 3. Do you accept qualified non-dualism? Or do you only practice
                                  non-
                                  > dualsim?
                                  >

                                  > What is qualified non-dualism?
                                  > What is the practice non-dualism?

                                  JJM. Look it up.

                                  > If so, do you have sex, enjoy food, etc.?
                                  >
                                  > Very much.
                                  >
                                  > And you forgot a good Cohiba.
                                  >
                                  > Sex is mere humping,.......... while a good cigar..........now
                                  that's something.

                                  Jason also enjoys the odd joint, the odd cigarrete, mexican and
                                  italian food, and the Holy Mother. Does the none dual state allow of
                                  parts?

                                  If a tree falls in the forest does it make a sound? Only if there is
                                  an ear drum around. Other wise it is just vibration.

                                  The difference between tasting sugar, and being sugar.

                                  > The difference
                                  > between tasting sugar and being sugar.
                                  >

                                  > Being somewhat wet-behind the ears, can you please explain what
                                  is that difference?

                                  JJM. See above.

                                  > Do you act non-dual(ie
                                  > Ramana)
                                  >

                                  > That dude in the diaper was acting?

                                  Yes, the part of Ramana. He did not talk for many years, in the
                                  early years. I guess he was only doing guest appearnences at the
                                  time. And as for his action after, he compared it to a sleep
                                  walker. He said Jesus the Christ was not aware of his action. Have
                                  you ever driven home and not remebered getting, like sleep walking,
                                  it is just a metaphor to explain sahaja nirvikalpa samadhi. The pure
                                  expression of God.

                                  Living scripture.

                                  > or are you a hipocrit and really practice qualified non-
                                  > dualism(ie papaji).
                                  >
                                  > So non-hypocrisy lies in practicing non-qualified non-dualism?
                                  >
                                  > Can any "ism" escape a qualification?
                                  >
                                  > Non-qualification..............is not a qualification?
                                  >

                                  > Act non-dual as well as talk non-dual.
                                  >
                                  > How do you act non-dual?

                                  Sahaja Nirvikalpa Samadhi.

                                  The sadhana of gnani gets you to act right. No parts, no desire.
                                  Kill desire. Etc. No male or female, means no sex. Shitty deal for
                                  some. An ape is attracted to an ape. Different races are attracted
                                  to their own somewhat. Daughter end up with husbands like their
                                  dads. Attraction is a mental creation, enforced by past influences.

                                  If you were non-dual, would you like blondes or brunnettes better?
                                  Bunk question in the non-dual standpoint.

                                  Anyways, If I had posted the below before you posted your response,
                                  which one would you have responded to, and what would have been the
                                  thought and context.

                                  Posted on the "direct approach" group.

                                  "Hello,

                                  Natural abidance in the effulgence of Self, is preceded by un-natural
                                  abidance in the effulgence of Self.

                                  This whole group, Ramana, Sankara, Patanjali, Ramakrishna, etc. etc.,
                                  vedanta, religion, the very chance to experience realization, would
                                  not be without the cause.

                                  So to deny the former, is to deny the present.

                                  Without duality, there would be no whole. Get it.

                                  Thank the dudes that remain un-awakened, as they give the chance for
                                  us to be the polar.

                                  Nirvikalpa samdhi admits of no parts, no body(hence death in most
                                  cases). So it is seen that the natural state would not allow our
                                  little chats. And where would be the fun in that.

                                  This is sahaja savikalpa samadhi we are injoying, or you would not be
                                  reading this.

                                  Sahaja savikalpa (dual) samadhi or the natural abidance in the
                                  effulgence of Self, is the kingdom of heaven, the kingdom of heaven
                                  is inside you. Enjoy it.

                                  But remember without hell, there is no heaven.

                                  Om Tat Sat.

                                  Ramakrishna was travelling in a cariage to some devotees house, they
                                  passed a bar, with revelors and drunk merry makers. He saw the
                                  revelry of the Holy Mother and went into samadhi. He shouted,
                                  congratulations and happiness for them, as he leaned out of the
                                  carrige and lost outward consciousness. One new devotee became
                                  concerned about the masters body. His concernes were quenched by an
                                  experienced devotee of the Master.

                                  Namaste
                                  Om Namah Shivaya
                                  Jason James Morgan"

                                  You dont have to accept God, to accept this.