Sleep after meditation

  • Tony Osime
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 20, 2005
      Does the quality of sleep differ just after meditation?

      After I meditated this morning, I decided to take a little nap since I still
      had some time.

      When I woke, I felt as if I had had one of the best periods of sleep in a
      very long time. I wondered if my meditation session had anything to do with
      it?

      Since we usually practice meditation when we are not sleepy to avoid
      sleeping, we seldom experience post meditation sleep - in my case at least.

      What has been your experience with post meditation sleep? Have you used it
      in any way?

      ...Tony
    • Don James
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 21, 2005
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Osime"
        <tony.osime@f...> wrote:
        > Does the quality of sleep differ just after meditation?
        >
        > After I meditated this morning, I decided to take a little nap
        since I still
        > had some time.
        >
        > When I woke, I felt as if I had had one of the best periods of
        sleep in a
        > very long time. I wondered if my meditation session had anything to
        do with
        > it?
        >
        > Since we usually practice meditation when we are not sleepy to avoid
        > sleeping, we seldom experience post meditation sleep - in my case
        at least.

        > What has been your experience with post meditation sleep? Have you
        used it
        > in any way?
        >
        > ...Tony

        The goal is to be in a meditative state all the time, so meditating
        before you sleep is going to produce a deeper meditative state. Esp
        if you don't dream or if your dreams are relaxing. Like the guy who
        asked the man on the street in NY "how do I get to Carnegie Hall?"
        and the guy answered "practice, practice, practice". Same goes for
        how do you get enlightened?