Time and meditation

  • Tony Osime
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 18, 2005
      I am curious to know how meditation influences our perception of time.

      I have noticed that when I meditate my sense of time seems to diminish.
      Almost every time I meditate, I have spent more time than I thought I
      had.

      Also, more recently, I feel comfortable meditating for very long periods
      of "real time". If I did not have something important to do, I feel
      could meditate for hours and not feel the urge to end my session.

      These experiences have helped me appreciate even more how subjective
      time is. While a clock measures objective time, it does not measure our
      feelings during that time. In the same period of time, two people doing
      the same activity can have completely different subjective measures of
      time.

      Meditation can help us appreciate our day to day, moment to moment
      perception of time.

      Please could you share how meditation has influenced your perception of
      time?

      ...Tony
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 18, 2005
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Osime"
        <tony.osime@f...> wrote:

        > I am curious to know how meditation influences our perception of time.
        >
        > I have noticed that when I meditate my sense of time seems to diminish.
        > Almost every time I meditate, I have spent more time than I thought I
        > had.
        >
        > Also, more recently, I feel comfortable meditating for very long periods
        > of "real time". If I did not have something important to do, I feel
        > could meditate for hours and not feel the urge to end my session.
        >

        > These experiences have helped me appreciate even more how subjective
        > time is. While a clock measures objective time, it does not measure our
        > feelings during that time. In the same period of time, two people doing
        > the same activity can have completely different subjective measures of
        > time.
        >
        > Meditation can help us appreciate our day to day, moment to moment
        > perception of time.
        >
        > Please could you share how meditation has influenced your perception of
        > time?
        >
        > ...Tony

        Yo Tonyji,
        What meditation offers is a timeless present.
        There is only NOW and our senses, emotions,
        and thoughts are all taking place in past tense
        and can't present the present. As we meditate,
        we take the inner Witness view, and can partake
        of the everchanging dream that human bodies
        broadcast from a neverchanging everpresent
        and timeless presence of consciousness, and
        no longer are mandated to simply react in a
        rote habitual manner. And this is real freedom
        and as the newly freed St Martha would say,
        "It's a good thing!"
        I'd say more, but I don't have the time :-)