Re: [Meditation Society of America] Re: The Comfort of Silence/ and a group i...

  • richesbysheila@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 15, 2005
      Are you saying that you experience this, effortlessly and continuously?
      Are you really saying, claiming that?
      Really?
      If so, bless you.
      I rather thought that, if this were so, there would be no assertion involved? Or am I wrong?
      I'm not being intentionally abrasive here--just skeptically curious.
    • Jeff Belyea
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 15, 2005
        On the commonly considered
        conscious level, effort is
        required. Logic and ration
        are used as considerations
        for action; such as, how a
        conscious act might be out
        of kindness and compassion.

        On another level, there is
        no conscious consideration
        or intented action, but an
        automatic autonomic system
        at work. Breathing is such.
        Enlightened awareness, too.

        One who speaks (writes) of
        the taproot of meditation,
        a place of perfect harmony
        in which the meditator may
        consciously enjoy an inner
        view of an effortless way,
        will not be mugged in such
        a grossly transparent way.

        Sorry, Sheila. This one is
        not a newcomer to the mean
        streets of the skeptically
        curious. Not to dodge your
        pure inquiry, here are the
        answers to the 4 questions:

        Yes.

        Yes.

        (Thank you)

        No, that is new pablum zen.
        You assumed the assertion,
        and then held a gun to the
        head of the one you mugged.
        The gun is only a metaphor.

        Yes.

        richesbysheila@a... wrote:
        > Are you saying that you experience this, effortlessly and
        continuously?
        > Are you really saying, claiming that?
        > Really?
        > If so, bless you.
        > I rather thought that, if this were so, there would be no assertion
        involved?
        > Or am I wrong?
        > I'm not being intentionally abrasive here--just skeptically curious.
      • Don James
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 16, 2005
          richesbysheila@a... wrote:

          I understand that kind of silent and deep communication--it is truly
          divine. But what I was pointing to is that, as of yet, most of us
          have not evolved to that level, on a full time basis. So we do still
          talk. Given that, it becomes how can/do we do so in the kindest, most
          meaningful ways?

          -In that case, then I think we need to talk about how we DO get to
          that silent, telepathic communion on a full-time basis. I don't think
          without that there will be any genuine communication on the talking
          level. There needs to be that dimension that connects us not just to
          the energies of the universe but to the energies of each other so
          that we truly feel our communion when we interact with each other.

          Meditative awareness isn't a 'thing' to talk about

          -no, but there are actions we can take to cultivate it. Such as
          practicing meditation and how we do that. Or how do we meditate in
          other venues such as typing a message to someone on an internet yahoo
          group forum.

          /point to--it is a beingness, essence, experiential reality that we
          carry with us, throughout all the interactions we have in this life,
          whatever this life, this world, may be.
          Not easy to talk about. Not easy to maintain. I'm trying.

          -and you will suceed, it certainly sounds like it.
        • richesbysheila@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 16, 2005
            Thanks for the feedback--and the encouraging support. Much appreciated.
                                                       Sheila