[Meditation Society of America] Re: The Comfort of Silence/ and a group i...

  • Jeff Belyea
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 15, 2005
      Yes, effort precedes grace,

      but...

      once the taproot of meditation
      is reached, the essence of
      which you speak maintains itself -

      silently, effortlessly, continuously,
      as a flowing river; as a constant
      undercurrent of all life's interactions.

      This is the peace that passes
      understanding, and must be directly
      experienced to be truly understood.

      richesbysheila@a... wrote:
      > I understand that kind of silent and deep communication--it is
      truly divine.
      > But what I was pointing to is that, as of yet, most of us have not
      evolved to
      > that level, on a full time basis. So we do still talk. Given that,
      it becomes
      > how can/do we do so in the kindest, most meaningful ways?
      Meditative awareness
    • richesbysheila@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 15, 2005
        Are you saying that you experience this, effortlessly and continuously?
        Are you really saying, claiming that?
        Really?
        If so, bless you.
        I rather thought that, if this were so, there would be no assertion involved? Or am I wrong?
        I'm not being intentionally abrasive here--just skeptically curious.
      • Jeff Belyea
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 15, 2005
          On the commonly considered
          conscious level, effort is
          required. Logic and ration
          are used as considerations
          for action; such as, how a
          conscious act might be out
          of kindness and compassion.

          On another level, there is
          no conscious consideration
          or intented action, but an
          automatic autonomic system
          at work. Breathing is such.
          Enlightened awareness, too.

          One who speaks (writes) of
          the taproot of meditation,
          a place of perfect harmony
          in which the meditator may
          consciously enjoy an inner
          view of an effortless way,
          will not be mugged in such
          a grossly transparent way.

          Sorry, Sheila. This one is
          not a newcomer to the mean
          streets of the skeptically
          curious. Not to dodge your
          pure inquiry, here are the
          answers to the 4 questions:

          Yes.

          Yes.

          (Thank you)

          No, that is new pablum zen.
          You assumed the assertion,
          and then held a gun to the
          head of the one you mugged.
          The gun is only a metaphor.

          Yes.

          richesbysheila@a... wrote:
          > Are you saying that you experience this, effortlessly and
          continuously?
          > Are you really saying, claiming that?
          > Really?
          > If so, bless you.
          > I rather thought that, if this were so, there would be no assertion
          involved?
          > Or am I wrong?
          > I'm not being intentionally abrasive here--just skeptically curious.
        • Don James
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 16, 2005
            richesbysheila@a... wrote:

            I understand that kind of silent and deep communication--it is truly
            divine. But what I was pointing to is that, as of yet, most of us
            have not evolved to that level, on a full time basis. So we do still
            talk. Given that, it becomes how can/do we do so in the kindest, most
            meaningful ways?

            -In that case, then I think we need to talk about how we DO get to
            that silent, telepathic communion on a full-time basis. I don't think
            without that there will be any genuine communication on the talking
            level. There needs to be that dimension that connects us not just to
            the energies of the universe but to the energies of each other so
            that we truly feel our communion when we interact with each other.

            Meditative awareness isn't a 'thing' to talk about

            -no, but there are actions we can take to cultivate it. Such as
            practicing meditation and how we do that. Or how do we meditate in
            other venues such as typing a message to someone on an internet yahoo
            group forum.

            /point to--it is a beingness, essence, experiential reality that we
            carry with us, throughout all the interactions we have in this life,
            whatever this life, this world, may be.
            Not easy to talk about. Not easy to maintain. I'm trying.

            -and you will suceed, it certainly sounds like it.
          • richesbysheila@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 16, 2005
              Thanks for the feedback--and the encouraging support. Much appreciated.
                                                         Sheila