[Meditation Society of America] Re: The Comfort of Silence/ and a group i...

  • Don James
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 14, 2005
      richesbysheila@a... wrote:
      > I understand that kind of silent and deep communication--it is
      truly divine.
      > But what I was pointing to is that, as of yet, most of us have not
      evolved to
      > that level, on a full time basis. So we do still talk. Given that,
      it becomes
      > how can/do we do so in the kindest, most meaningful ways?
      Meditative awareness
      > isn't a 'thing' to talk about/point to--it is a beingness, essence,
      > experiential reality that we carry with us, throughout all the
      interactions we have in
      > this life, whatever this life, this world, may be.
      > Not easy to talk about. Not easy to maintain. I'm trying.

      -what helps me is spending a lot of time in silence being focussed on
      that meditative awareness, and when I do talk, to still stay focussed
      on that meditative awareness at the same time. And take note of
      myself when I feel a spike in the energy and use that to adjust my
      feeling and words.
    • Jeff Belyea
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 15, 2005
        Yes, effort precedes grace,

        but...

        once the taproot of meditation
        is reached, the essence of
        which you speak maintains itself -

        silently, effortlessly, continuously,
        as a flowing river; as a constant
        undercurrent of all life's interactions.

        This is the peace that passes
        understanding, and must be directly
        experienced to be truly understood.

      • richesbysheila@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 15, 2005
          Are you saying that you experience this, effortlessly and continuously?
          Are you really saying, claiming that?
          Really?
          If so, bless you.
          I rather thought that, if this were so, there would be no assertion involved? Or am I wrong?
          I'm not being intentionally abrasive here--just skeptically curious.
        • Jeff Belyea
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 15, 2005
            On the commonly considered
            conscious level, effort is
            required. Logic and ration
            are used as considerations
            for action; such as, how a
            conscious act might be out
            of kindness and compassion.

            On another level, there is
            no conscious consideration
            or intented action, but an
            automatic autonomic system
            at work. Breathing is such.
            Enlightened awareness, too.

            One who speaks (writes) of
            the taproot of meditation,
            a place of perfect harmony
            in which the meditator may
            consciously enjoy an inner
            view of an effortless way,
            will not be mugged in such
            a grossly transparent way.

            Sorry, Sheila. This one is
            not a newcomer to the mean
            streets of the skeptically
            curious. Not to dodge your
            pure inquiry, here are the
            answers to the 4 questions:

            Yes.

            Yes.

            (Thank you)

            No, that is new pablum zen.
            You assumed the assertion,
            and then held a gun to the
            head of the one you mugged.
            The gun is only a metaphor.

            Yes.

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 16, 2005
              richesbysheila@a... wrote:

              I understand that kind of silent and deep communication--it is truly
              divine. But what I was pointing to is that, as of yet, most of us
              have not evolved to that level, on a full time basis. So we do still
              talk. Given that, it becomes how can/do we do so in the kindest, most
              meaningful ways?

              -In that case, then I think we need to talk about how we DO get to
              that silent, telepathic communion on a full-time basis. I don't think
              without that there will be any genuine communication on the talking
              level. There needs to be that dimension that connects us not just to
              the energies of the universe but to the energies of each other so
              that we truly feel our communion when we interact with each other.

              Meditative awareness isn't a 'thing' to talk about

              -no, but there are actions we can take to cultivate it. Such as
              practicing meditation and how we do that. Or how do we meditate in
              other venues such as typing a message to someone on an internet yahoo
              group forum.

              /point to--it is a beingness, essence, experiential reality that we
              carry with us, throughout all the interactions we have in this life,
              whatever this life, this world, may be.
              Not easy to talk about. Not easy to maintain. I'm trying.

              -and you will suceed, it certainly sounds like it.
            • richesbysheila@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 16, 2005
                Thanks for the feedback--and the encouraging support. Much appreciated.
                                                           Sheila