Re: [Meditation Society of America] Re: The Comfort of Silence/ and a group i...

  • richesbysheila@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 14, 2005
      I understand that kind of silent and deep communication--it is truly divine. But what I was pointing to is that, as of yet, most of us have not evolved to that level, on a full time basis. So we do still talk. Given that, it becomes how can/do we do so in the kindest, most meaningful ways? Meditative awareness isn't a 'thing' to talk about/point to--it is a beingness, essence, experiential reality that we carry with us, throughout all the interactions we have in this life, whatever this life, this world, may be.
      Not easy to talk about. Not easy to maintain. I'm trying.
    • Don James
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 14, 2005
        richesbysheila@a... wrote:
        > I understand that kind of silent and deep communication--it is
        truly divine.
        > But what I was pointing to is that, as of yet, most of us have not
        evolved to
        > that level, on a full time basis. So we do still talk. Given that,
        it becomes
        > how can/do we do so in the kindest, most meaningful ways?
        Meditative awareness
        > isn't a 'thing' to talk about/point to--it is a beingness, essence,
        > experiential reality that we carry with us, throughout all the
        interactions we have in
        > this life, whatever this life, this world, may be.
        > Not easy to talk about. Not easy to maintain. I'm trying.

        -what helps me is spending a lot of time in silence being focussed on
        that meditative awareness, and when I do talk, to still stay focussed
        on that meditative awareness at the same time. And take note of
        myself when I feel a spike in the energy and use that to adjust my
        feeling and words.
      • Jeff Belyea
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 15, 2005
          Yes, effort precedes grace,

          but...

          once the taproot of meditation
          is reached, the essence of
          which you speak maintains itself -

          silently, effortlessly, continuously,
          as a flowing river; as a constant
          undercurrent of all life's interactions.

          This is the peace that passes
          understanding, and must be directly
          experienced to be truly understood.

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 15, 2005
            Are you saying that you experience this, effortlessly and continuously?
            Are you really saying, claiming that?
            Really?
            If so, bless you.
            I rather thought that, if this were so, there would be no assertion involved? Or am I wrong?
            I'm not being intentionally abrasive here--just skeptically curious.
          • Jeff Belyea
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 15, 2005
              On the commonly considered
              conscious level, effort is
              required. Logic and ration
              are used as considerations
              for action; such as, how a
              conscious act might be out
              of kindness and compassion.

              On another level, there is
              no conscious consideration
              or intented action, but an
              automatic autonomic system
              at work. Breathing is such.
              Enlightened awareness, too.

              One who speaks (writes) of
              the taproot of meditation,
              a place of perfect harmony
              in which the meditator may
              consciously enjoy an inner
              view of an effortless way,
              will not be mugged in such
              a grossly transparent way.

              Sorry, Sheila. This one is
              not a newcomer to the mean
              streets of the skeptically
              curious. Not to dodge your
              pure inquiry, here are the
              answers to the 4 questions:

              Yes.

              Yes.

              (Thank you)

              No, that is new pablum zen.
              You assumed the assertion,
              and then held a gun to the
              head of the one you mugged.
              The gun is only a metaphor.

              Yes.

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 16, 2005
                richesbysheila@a... wrote:

                I understand that kind of silent and deep communication--it is truly
                divine. But what I was pointing to is that, as of yet, most of us
                have not evolved to that level, on a full time basis. So we do still
                talk. Given that, it becomes how can/do we do so in the kindest, most
                meaningful ways?

                -In that case, then I think we need to talk about how we DO get to
                that silent, telepathic communion on a full-time basis. I don't think
                without that there will be any genuine communication on the talking
                level. There needs to be that dimension that connects us not just to
                the energies of the universe but to the energies of each other so
                that we truly feel our communion when we interact with each other.

                Meditative awareness isn't a 'thing' to talk about

                -no, but there are actions we can take to cultivate it. Such as
                practicing meditation and how we do that. Or how do we meditate in
                other venues such as typing a message to someone on an internet yahoo
                group forum.

                /point to--it is a beingness, essence, experiential reality that we
                carry with us, throughout all the interactions we have in this life,
                whatever this life, this world, may be.
                Not easy to talk about. Not easy to maintain. I'm trying.

                -and you will suceed, it certainly sounds like it.
              • richesbysheila@aol.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 16, 2005
                  Thanks for the feedback--and the encouraging support. Much appreciated.
                                                             Sheila