Meditation Insights 2

  • Tony Osime
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 14 6:14 AM
      This is a slightly different insight, so I thought I should start a new
      thread.

      My previous sense of how the whole mind worked was similar to a person
      "me" going from room to room in a house. In normal waking life we spend
      almost all our time in one room (the one with all the mind chatter!). In
      meditation we release our attachment to that room and wonder to other
      rooms - other "minds", and see what is happening there.

      My previous understanding was that each room was frozen (i.e. the light
      was off) until "I" went in there, switched on the light and observed
      whatever I found. My current understanding is that there is continuous
      activity in all rooms. However, my memory of what happens is only "on"
      in whichever room "I" happen to go into.

      The implications? By practicing meditation we can get used to spending
      time in different rooms. This makes it easier to enter these rooms
      during day to day activity. Also by moving from room to room, we see our
      "real" selves as being independent of whichever room we happen to be in.
      We become more of the watcher of what happens in each room. Lastly, our
      development is not limited to what we "remember" as experience. Our
      memory might only contain a small fraction of all that goes on.

      ...Tony