Mediation Insights

  • Tony Osime
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 14, 2005
      Thanks for a such a beautiful description..."No agenda mediation".

      Letting go, to me, means more than simple surrender. We can think that
      we have surrender and are ready for whatever comes in meditation,
      however, when something truly unique and unusual comes along, our
      instinctive fear of the unknown kicks in and we withdraw until we have
      understood what is happening.

      One experience comes to mind. I was practicing inner sounds mediation
      when, out of nowhere I heard a continuous bell-like sound from within
      grow louder. It started faintly but grew louder very quickly. My fear
      was that it would grow louder until it (my mind) exploded. Since I had
      no previous experience to guide me I startled myself out of the session.
      Afterwards, I regretted doing that. My sense was that I had triggered
      something and it needed to run its course. By stopping it before it had
      completed its passage I had prevented myself from moving to a higher
      plane. What is odd is that I have nothing to support this idea except
      wishful thinking maybe.

      The point though is that "acceptance" means accepting the unknown, no
      matter how strange. Not simply saying I accept whatever comes - so long
      as it is not unpleasant. My sense is that until we release that inner
      defense mechanism, many paths of meditation will never open up.
      Mediating with absolute acceptance will, I feel, give different results
      to meditation with tacit acceptance.

      Message: 4
      Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 16:32:25 EST
      From: richesbysheila@...
      Subject: Re: Mediation Insights

      I believe this is what is meant by "surrender." And, yes, it is
      our normal minds. But it is, I venture to say, much closer to truly
      connected--to that which we can't name or coceptualize--or even know!
      Are we really
      ready and willing to do this? I wonder.
      And I sure hope so.
      Interesting. For those of us who say we want to be 'enlightened'--yet
      want to remain in control, and to direct the higher energies we tap
      Thanks for sharing your observations/insights.I have been experiencing
      similar ones in my meditation. Today, as I efforted at going in deeper,
      and was
      becoming enmeshed in my own thoughts, I found myself just letting go,
      nothing, just allowing my thoughts to go, not looking for or expecting
      I, too, found myself going deeper. But, as you said, I had to (also)
      give up
      my right/desire to glean something from this. I had to just sit, not
      not understanding, no agenda. And, upon coming out, I still had no
      or insight. I do believe that, today, I was experiencing something
      No agenda meditation--either going in, during, or coming out. Now, what
      you make of that???

      [This message contained attachments]

      Yahoo! Groups Links