[Meditation Society of America] Re: The Comfort of Silence/ and a group i...

  • Don James
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 14, 2005
      richesbysheila@a... wrote:
      > While it is true that talking can create a breach into pure,
      unadulterated
      > silence---we are still human beings--and a social sort. Not talking
      or
      > communicating can mean a loss of deep and lovely connections.
      Surely there is a balance
      > between meditative paradise and communing with our fellow beings.
      > I like the idea that when one is in touch with the deeper
      dimensions, words
      > and thoughts flow from this, and less from our heads. I know--I
      know--often a
      > thin, thin line.
      > Still and all, I'll opt for continuing communication--and
      connections!
      > Sheila

      -there are other ways of communicating besides talking. Actually,
      enlightenment is communicated between teacher and student in silence.
      When our mind becomes silent, we become telepathic and can communicate
      on the level of touch on the subtle plane. I've never spoken with
      Ammachi but I have the richest communications with her, richer than
      any I've ever had with any other human. So you may think you lose but
      the gain is richer than the loss.
    • richesbysheila@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 14, 2005
        I understand that kind of silent and deep communication--it is truly divine. But what I was pointing to is that, as of yet, most of us have not evolved to that level, on a full time basis. So we do still talk. Given that, it becomes how can/do we do so in the kindest, most meaningful ways? Meditative awareness isn't a 'thing' to talk about/point to--it is a beingness, essence, experiential reality that we carry with us, throughout all the interactions we have in this life, whatever this life, this world, may be.
        Not easy to talk about. Not easy to maintain. I'm trying.
      • Don James
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 14, 2005
          richesbysheila@a... wrote:
          > I understand that kind of silent and deep communication--it is
          truly divine.
          > But what I was pointing to is that, as of yet, most of us have not
          evolved to
          > that level, on a full time basis. So we do still talk. Given that,
          it becomes
          > how can/do we do so in the kindest, most meaningful ways?
          Meditative awareness
          > isn't a 'thing' to talk about/point to--it is a beingness, essence,
          > experiential reality that we carry with us, throughout all the
          interactions we have in
          > this life, whatever this life, this world, may be.
          > Not easy to talk about. Not easy to maintain. I'm trying.

          -what helps me is spending a lot of time in silence being focussed on
          that meditative awareness, and when I do talk, to still stay focussed
          on that meditative awareness at the same time. And take note of
          myself when I feel a spike in the energy and use that to adjust my
          feeling and words.
        • Jeff Belyea
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 15, 2005
            Yes, effort precedes grace,

            but...

            once the taproot of meditation
            is reached, the essence of
            which you speak maintains itself -

            silently, effortlessly, continuously,
            as a flowing river; as a constant
            undercurrent of all life's interactions.

            This is the peace that passes
            understanding, and must be directly
            experienced to be truly understood.

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 15, 2005
              Are you saying that you experience this, effortlessly and continuously?
              Are you really saying, claiming that?
              Really?
              If so, bless you.
              I rather thought that, if this were so, there would be no assertion involved? Or am I wrong?
              I'm not being intentionally abrasive here--just skeptically curious.
            • Jeff Belyea
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 15, 2005
                On the commonly considered
                conscious level, effort is
                required. Logic and ration
                are used as considerations
                for action; such as, how a
                conscious act might be out
                of kindness and compassion.

                On another level, there is
                no conscious consideration
                or intented action, but an
                automatic autonomic system
                at work. Breathing is such.
                Enlightened awareness, too.

                One who speaks (writes) of
                the taproot of meditation,
                a place of perfect harmony
                in which the meditator may
                consciously enjoy an inner
                view of an effortless way,
                will not be mugged in such
                a grossly transparent way.

                Sorry, Sheila. This one is
                not a newcomer to the mean
                streets of the skeptically
                curious. Not to dodge your
                pure inquiry, here are the
                answers to the 4 questions:

                Yes.

                Yes.

                (Thank you)

                No, that is new pablum zen.
                You assumed the assertion,
                and then held a gun to the
                head of the one you mugged.
                The gun is only a metaphor.

                Yes.

                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 16, 2005
                  richesbysheila@a... wrote:

                  I understand that kind of silent and deep communication--it is truly
                  divine. But what I was pointing to is that, as of yet, most of us
                  have not evolved to that level, on a full time basis. So we do still
                  talk. Given that, it becomes how can/do we do so in the kindest, most
                  meaningful ways?

                  -In that case, then I think we need to talk about how we DO get to
                  that silent, telepathic communion on a full-time basis. I don't think
                  without that there will be any genuine communication on the talking
                  level. There needs to be that dimension that connects us not just to
                  the energies of the universe but to the energies of each other so
                  that we truly feel our communion when we interact with each other.

                  Meditative awareness isn't a 'thing' to talk about

                  -no, but there are actions we can take to cultivate it. Such as
                  practicing meditation and how we do that. Or how do we meditate in
                  other venues such as typing a message to someone on an internet yahoo
                  group forum.

                  /point to--it is a beingness, essence, experiential reality that we
                  carry with us, throughout all the interactions we have in this life,
                  whatever this life, this world, may be.
                  Not easy to talk about. Not easy to maintain. I'm trying.

                  -and you will suceed, it certainly sounds like it.
                • richesbysheila@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 16, 2005
                    Thanks for the feedback--and the encouraging support. Much appreciated.
                                                               Sheila