Re: [Meditation Society of America] Re: The Comfort of Silence/ and a group i...

  • richesbysheila@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 13, 2005
      While it is true that talking can create a breach into pure, unadulterated silence---we are still human beings--and a social sort. Not talking or communicating can mean a loss of deep and lovely connections. Surely there is a balance between meditative paradise and communing with our fellow beings.
      I like the idea that when one is in touch with the deeper dimensions, words and thoughts flow from this, and less from our heads. I know--I know--often a thin, thin line.
      Still and all, I'll opt for continuing communication--and connections!
                                                Sheila
    • Don James
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 14, 2005
        richesbysheila@a... wrote:
        > While it is true that talking can create a breach into pure,
        unadulterated
        > silence---we are still human beings--and a social sort. Not talking
        or
        > communicating can mean a loss of deep and lovely connections.
        Surely there is a balance
        > between meditative paradise and communing with our fellow beings.
        > I like the idea that when one is in touch with the deeper
        dimensions, words
        > and thoughts flow from this, and less from our heads. I know--I
        know--often a
        > thin, thin line.
        > Still and all, I'll opt for continuing communication--and
        connections!
        > Sheila

        -there are other ways of communicating besides talking. Actually,
        enlightenment is communicated between teacher and student in silence.
        When our mind becomes silent, we become telepathic and can communicate
        on the level of touch on the subtle plane. I've never spoken with
        Ammachi but I have the richest communications with her, richer than
        any I've ever had with any other human. So you may think you lose but
        the gain is richer than the loss.
      • richesbysheila@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 14, 2005
          I understand that kind of silent and deep communication--it is truly divine. But what I was pointing to is that, as of yet, most of us have not evolved to that level, on a full time basis. So we do still talk. Given that, it becomes how can/do we do so in the kindest, most meaningful ways? Meditative awareness isn't a 'thing' to talk about/point to--it is a beingness, essence, experiential reality that we carry with us, throughout all the interactions we have in this life, whatever this life, this world, may be.
          Not easy to talk about. Not easy to maintain. I'm trying.
        • Don James
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 14, 2005
            richesbysheila@a... wrote:
            > I understand that kind of silent and deep communication--it is
            truly divine.
            > But what I was pointing to is that, as of yet, most of us have not
            evolved to
            > that level, on a full time basis. So we do still talk. Given that,
            it becomes
            > how can/do we do so in the kindest, most meaningful ways?
            Meditative awareness
            > isn't a 'thing' to talk about/point to--it is a beingness, essence,
            > experiential reality that we carry with us, throughout all the
            interactions we have in
            > this life, whatever this life, this world, may be.
            > Not easy to talk about. Not easy to maintain. I'm trying.

            -what helps me is spending a lot of time in silence being focussed on
            that meditative awareness, and when I do talk, to still stay focussed
            on that meditative awareness at the same time. And take note of
            myself when I feel a spike in the energy and use that to adjust my
            feeling and words.
          • Jeff Belyea
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 15, 2005
              Yes, effort precedes grace,

              but...

              once the taproot of meditation
              is reached, the essence of
              which you speak maintains itself -

              silently, effortlessly, continuously,
              as a flowing river; as a constant
              undercurrent of all life's interactions.

              This is the peace that passes
              understanding, and must be directly
              experienced to be truly understood.

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 15, 2005
                Are you saying that you experience this, effortlessly and continuously?
                Are you really saying, claiming that?
                Really?
                If so, bless you.
                I rather thought that, if this were so, there would be no assertion involved? Or am I wrong?
                I'm not being intentionally abrasive here--just skeptically curious.
              • Jeff Belyea
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 15, 2005
                  On the commonly considered
                  conscious level, effort is
                  required. Logic and ration
                  are used as considerations
                  for action; such as, how a
                  conscious act might be out
                  of kindness and compassion.

                  On another level, there is
                  no conscious consideration
                  or intented action, but an
                  automatic autonomic system
                  at work. Breathing is such.
                  Enlightened awareness, too.

                  One who speaks (writes) of
                  the taproot of meditation,
                  a place of perfect harmony
                  in which the meditator may
                  consciously enjoy an inner
                  view of an effortless way,
                  will not be mugged in such
                  a grossly transparent way.

                  Sorry, Sheila. This one is
                  not a newcomer to the mean
                  streets of the skeptically
                  curious. Not to dodge your
                  pure inquiry, here are the
                  answers to the 4 questions:

                  Yes.

                  Yes.

                  (Thank you)

                  No, that is new pablum zen.
                  You assumed the assertion,
                  and then held a gun to the
                  head of the one you mugged.
                  The gun is only a metaphor.

                  Yes.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 16, 2005
                    richesbysheila@a... wrote:

                    I understand that kind of silent and deep communication--it is truly
                    divine. But what I was pointing to is that, as of yet, most of us
                    have not evolved to that level, on a full time basis. So we do still
                    talk. Given that, it becomes how can/do we do so in the kindest, most
                    meaningful ways?

                    -In that case, then I think we need to talk about how we DO get to
                    that silent, telepathic communion on a full-time basis. I don't think
                    without that there will be any genuine communication on the talking
                    level. There needs to be that dimension that connects us not just to
                    the energies of the universe but to the energies of each other so
                    that we truly feel our communion when we interact with each other.

                    Meditative awareness isn't a 'thing' to talk about

                    -no, but there are actions we can take to cultivate it. Such as
                    practicing meditation and how we do that. Or how do we meditate in
                    other venues such as typing a message to someone on an internet yahoo
                    group forum.

                    /point to--it is a beingness, essence, experiential reality that we
                    carry with us, throughout all the interactions we have in this life,
                    whatever this life, this world, may be.
                    Not easy to talk about. Not easy to maintain. I'm trying.

                    -and you will suceed, it certainly sounds like it.
                  • richesbysheila@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 16, 2005
                      Thanks for the feedback--and the encouraging support. Much appreciated.
                                                                 Sheila