yoga nidra was Re: vipassana/jody

  • Nina
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 13, 2005
      Oh yea, that's one of my favorite approaches.

      Though technically not meditation, another approach
      I'm appreciating these days is yoga nidra - deep
      relaxation, or what is also translated as 'yogic
      sleep', a hypnogogic state of mind. I have always
      gravitated towards meditation lying down, but had
      been told this was not advisable: "you'll fall asleep"
      (lol, I thought they were right, because in a sense
      I WAS falling asleep!), "your spine has to be upright",
      etc. Then one day, I stumbled across a name for what
      I had been doing all along by intuitive preference -
      yoga nidra. Well, it's been nice to compare with what
      others are doing. There is plenty of info and even some
      CDs for sale on the web - simply google 'yoga nidra'.

      I've been teaching a couple of 'deep relaxation / yoga
      nidra' classes for a while now. People love it. I love
      leading them. I talk them through several foci/techniques,
      then give them something to focus on internally (such as
      mental alternate nostril breathing, counted) and then
      shut up and let them 'take over'. We usually end class with
      15 or so minutes of seated meditation. People tell me they
      are much more able to sit in meditation after yoga nidra
      and they are amazed by how deeply rested/refreshed they feel.
      It is amazing how such a simple practice can radically reset
      a person physically, mentally and emotionally. Overall, a
      very satisfying way to spend a few hours of my week...

      Nina