Mediation Insights

  • Tony Osime
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 13, 2005
      For some months now my mediation had stayed at a superficial level. I
      noticed that I had more mind chatter, although it did not seem that much
      more than normal. The result however, was that I seldom went deeper than the
      first two levels. So today, I tried some subtle variations.

      I started by appreciating that rather than having "one" mind I have
      "several" minds working seamlessly to give the impression of one mind. The
      dominate mind was the one producing the mind chatter. What was happening
      recently was that it was maintaining a firmer grip over the other "minds".
      By not releasing control, I was not able to access the "higher" minds as I
      normally did during meditation.

      The question now was how to get the mind chatter "mind" to release control.
      Usually, simply reducing the physical sensations was sufficient to start the
      process (reducing the stimuli from my five senses). The second step was to
      listen for the most subtle inner sound. When I locked onto that sound, I
      would normally go deeper into meditation as the subtle sound grew louder.

      The insight I had today was that it was not so much the subtle sound that
      was important but the attitude of listening. It is paying deep attention
      anticipating something, without knowing what it would be. That "attitude"
      took me deeper into my meditation instantly. It was independent of there
      being a subtle inner sound.

      As I went into the deeper stages, I noticed the usual physical symptoms with
      their corresponding inner sounds. However the normal feelings of euphoria
      were not as strong. When I came out of the mediation, the room seemed
      brighter and sharper.

      I had a few other insights. One was that at deeper levels of mediation, the
      thought recording mechanism might have to be turned off - meaning that parts
      of the mediation may not be remembered at the end of the session. The logic
      of this was startling - imagine doing something and not remembering that you
      did it (anyone see the film "Memento"?).

      Look forward to your thoughts and comments.

    • Tony Osime
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 14, 2005
        Thanks for a such a beautiful description..."No agenda mediation".

        Letting go, to me, means more than simple surrender. We can think that
        we have surrender and are ready for whatever comes in meditation,
        however, when something truly unique and unusual comes along, our
        instinctive fear of the unknown kicks in and we withdraw until we have
        understood what is happening.

        One experience comes to mind. I was practicing inner sounds mediation
        when, out of nowhere I heard a continuous bell-like sound from within
        grow louder. It started faintly but grew louder very quickly. My fear
        was that it would grow louder until it (my mind) exploded. Since I had
        no previous experience to guide me I startled myself out of the session.
        Afterwards, I regretted doing that. My sense was that I had triggered
        something and it needed to run its course. By stopping it before it had
        completed its passage I had prevented myself from moving to a higher
        plane. What is odd is that I have nothing to support this idea except
        wishful thinking maybe.

        The point though is that "acceptance" means accepting the unknown, no
        matter how strange. Not simply saying I accept whatever comes - so long
        as it is not unpleasant. My sense is that until we release that inner
        defense mechanism, many paths of meditation will never open up.
        Mediating with absolute acceptance will, I feel, give different results
        to meditation with tacit acceptance.

        Message: 4
        Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 16:32:25 EST
        From: richesbysheila@...
        Subject: Re: Mediation Insights

        I believe this is what is meant by "surrender." And, yes, it is
        our normal minds. But it is, I venture to say, much closer to truly
        connected--to that which we can't name or coceptualize--or even know!
        Are we really
        ready and willing to do this? I wonder.
        And I sure hope so.
        Interesting. For those of us who say we want to be 'enlightened'--yet
        want to remain in control, and to direct the higher energies we tap
        Thanks for sharing your observations/insights.I have been experiencing
        similar ones in my meditation. Today, as I efforted at going in deeper,
        and was
        becoming enmeshed in my own thoughts, I found myself just letting go,
        nothing, just allowing my thoughts to go, not looking for or expecting
        I, too, found myself going deeper. But, as you said, I had to (also)
        give up
        my right/desire to glean something from this. I had to just sit, not
        not understanding, no agenda. And, upon coming out, I still had no
        or insight. I do believe that, today, I was experiencing something
        No agenda meditation--either going in, during, or coming out. Now, what
        you make of that???

        [This message contained attachments]

        Yahoo! Groups Links