Re: Why do I need to pay $2,500 to learn Meditation correctly?

  • jodyrrr
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 9, 2005
      http://www.dhamma.org/

      Vipassana meditation, while based in Buddhism,
      is refreshingly free of ideology and myth. It
      is very effective in terms of bringing changes
      to how we see ourselves and how our minds move
      in the world.
    • Nina
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 13, 2005
        Oh yea, that's one of my favorite approaches.

        Though technically not meditation, another approach
        I'm appreciating these days is yoga nidra - deep
        relaxation, or what is also translated as 'yogic
        sleep', a hypnogogic state of mind. I have always
        gravitated towards meditation lying down, but had
        been told this was not advisable: "you'll fall asleep"
        (lol, I thought they were right, because in a sense
        I WAS falling asleep!), "your spine has to be upright",
        etc. Then one day, I stumbled across a name for what
        I had been doing all along by intuitive preference -
        yoga nidra. Well, it's been nice to compare with what
        others are doing. There is plenty of info and even some
        CDs for sale on the web - simply google 'yoga nidra'.

        I've been teaching a couple of 'deep relaxation / yoga
        nidra' classes for a while now. People love it. I love
        leading them. I talk them through several foci/techniques,
        then give them something to focus on internally (such as
        mental alternate nostril breathing, counted) and then
        shut up and let them 'take over'. We usually end class with
        15 or so minutes of seated meditation. People tell me they
        are much more able to sit in meditation after yoga nidra
        and they are amazed by how deeply rested/refreshed they feel.
        It is amazing how such a simple practice can radically reset
        a person physically, mentally and emotionally. Overall, a
        very satisfying way to spend a few hours of my week...

        Nina