Why do I need to pay $2,500 to learn Meditation correctly?

  • Eric Boulton
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 7, 2005
      I am having no luck finding a good place or person to teach me meditation. I am convinced that it is better to learn it from a teacher instead of from a book. Does everybody agree with this?There is one of these Transcendental Meditation centers here locally (Portland, OR).

      http://www.tm.org/

      I found out it costs $2,500 to have them teach you. I think they leave this little bit of information off their web-site so they don't scare too many people off before the get you into their sales talk meetings. Has anybody here taken this course and feel that you can not learn what they are teaching anywhere else?

      The other places I find seem to be connected to cult like religions.
      Can somebody give me some tips of how the find someone to teach me and what it should cost.
      Thank You

    • Roland
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 7, 2005
        A free 10 day Vipassana meditation course( donation) that I recommend for anyone who will make the time..not religious but has words from Buddha..check it out

        Main site:

        Papers on Vipassana:

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 8, 2005
          Dear Eric,
          The best way to learn about meditation is not from books, CD's, or
          even from classes or personal instruction. It is by meditating. Our
          site has dozens of techniques that are $2500 cheaper (free) then the
          TM method. They teach mantra techniques and, in a way, sell you a
          word to say over and over. The mantra which has been well accepted
          for thousands of years and by millions of people as the "best" is OM.
          At this URL you will find an easy to follw "how-to" about OM:
          And if that doesn't suit you well, there are many many more on the
          site in the Archive and Meditation Concepts sections that should be
          more than you'll ever need to experience first hand what people,
          classes, books, etc., can only point to conceptually. And if you have
          any questions, this forum is available for clarification.
          I feel there is no better thing you can do for your Self than
          meditate. I wish you well.
        • �:-)
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 9, 2005

            Dear People,

            how can _you_ DO meditation?
            can my mind order my brain -
            in the notorious stubborn German way:

            ''MEDITATE NOW!''

            Will my mind bow down to my mind's
            order and follow my mind's device:
            ''Yes Master-Mind, always your servant!''

            That means from my experience:
            either meditation happens by grace -
            otherwise mind forces body into some exercises!

            For $2,500, ok, can you expect better results?
            The ones, who have paid this money,
            will they not be convinced to get IT - worth the prize?

            Will these customers enjoy this compassionate elegy?
            Please it's parody - you'll get free of charge
            - except yur precious time to pay attention:

            GoodBye with love, hugs and blessings!

            Everybody needs someone, someone to love.
            Some love their pet, some love their car,
            some love their football-movie-music-star,
            but highest love of all is for my God,
            who else but my Guru represents God?
            Heaven on Earth, what a bliss to bow
            down to the feet of the Awakened Ones!
            Hallejuha, enlightened Kingdom has come!
            My Guru pays attention to my little life
            not worthy to breath same air with HIM!
            My Guru showers on my life tons of love
            my Guru shares HIS blessed air with us!

            Yes, years are passing by more quickly,
            came alone in life, have to leave it alone,
            but meanwhile everybody needs someone,
            someone to love, what a drag: a real man
            is as hard to find like a real woman
            next door and best friends have all
            misunderstood my love completly but:
            Hosiannah, Hallelujah, my Guru has
            mercy, ultimate love and acceptance,
            higly qualified to see through my masks
            lights up my white-light aura with bliss!

            M0RE: SEX, M0NEY & P0WER ! ! !

            With my Gurus touch all pain fades away,
            eternally filled with ecstasy trembling
            one inch below the navel me forcing down
            on my knees, tears in my eyes and the
            heart beats: Bum, Bum, my Guru inside,
            me in my Guru like Russian puppets
            together connected to Eternity,
            Hallelujah, White Light Bliss!

            Help, handle over some napkins,
            just in these tears of happiness
            my pee is running down my legs
            in ultimate relaxation, Hallelujah,
            my Guru has come, come to meee!

            We all know, donations   are not part
            of our Western Culture and not yet
            known in E-Mail-Guru-Groups but,
            when you feel touched, share
            thankfully your bytes.

            For blessings focussed on you personally
            your picture is absolutly necassary.
            Cheques are accepted as well.

            When you join the n0by-list, your reward:
            Watch more than 200 Guru-ESO-Photos!

            Deutsch ist auch willkomm! AMEN

            yours

            n0by

[...]

            Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!
          • jodyrrr
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 9, 2005
              http://www.dhamma.org/

              Vipassana meditation, while based in Buddhism,
              is refreshingly free of ideology and myth. It
              is very effective in terms of bringing changes
              to how we see ourselves and how our minds move
              in the world.
            • Nina
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 13, 2005
                Oh yea, that's one of my favorite approaches.

                Though technically not meditation, another approach
                I'm appreciating these days is yoga nidra - deep
                relaxation, or what is also translated as 'yogic
                sleep', a hypnogogic state of mind. I have always
                gravitated towards meditation lying down, but had
                been told this was not advisable: "you'll fall asleep"
                (lol, I thought they were right, because in a sense
                I WAS falling asleep!), "your spine has to be upright",
                etc. Then one day, I stumbled across a name for what
                I had been doing all along by intuitive preference -
                yoga nidra. Well, it's been nice to compare with what
                others are doing. There is plenty of info and even some
                CDs for sale on the web - simply google 'yoga nidra'.

                I've been teaching a couple of 'deep relaxation / yoga
                nidra' classes for a while now. People love it. I love
                leading them. I talk them through several foci/techniques,
                then give them something to focus on internally (such as
                mental alternate nostril breathing, counted) and then
                shut up and let them 'take over'. We usually end class with
                15 or so minutes of seated meditation. People tell me they
                are much more able to sit in meditation after yoga nidra
                and they are amazed by how deeply rested/refreshed they feel.
                It is amazing how such a simple practice can radically reset
                a person physically, mentally and emotionally. Overall, a
                very satisfying way to spend a few hours of my week...

                Nina