Re: [Meditation Society of America] Setting goals in meditation

  • Sandeep
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 2, 2005

      Sent: Wednesday, March 02, 2005 9:15 PM
      Subject: [Meditation Society of America] Setting goals in meditation

      Thanks Sandeep,

      .Real meditation, being a thoughtless state, is free from goals, which
      is itself a form of thought.

      Yes, the conceptualization in the form of a technique labelled as meditation......

      ...is not meditation.

      Which does not mean that techniques are not teeming like candy bars, all over the place.

      So if we approach meditation thinking I must meditate for 'x' minutes or
      I  must achieve a certain state of mind, that process is simply a state
      of mind created by thoughts.

      Absolutely.

      The mind can only produce ....... mind-crap.

      That crap may smell profound, exalted....even "Samadhic" ....

      ....but the mind cannot conceive what it has no clue about.

      And thus all it can do is to go round and round the mulberry bush, which it has itself planted.

      The idea of Samadhi (the holy Grail for all meditators) .....

      ....births the experience of Samadhi, which is as much an ideation.....

      .. as much is the base idea.

       Real meditation just happens.

      Yes, in which the very concept of "meditation", "real"..."unreal", "becoming", "goals", "progress/failures towards such goals"......

      .......all that hoopla is absent.

       We might
      create a 'memory' of the meditation experience

      "That" (using a mere term, for this dialogue).........not being an experience, or an occuring state to an entity.......

      ........memory cannot touch it.

      We loosely use the term "happens .......but "that"..........is not an event in time.

       but we need to be careful
      and appreciate that the memory is not separate from the influence of
      thought and expectations.

      Memory is not influenced by thought.

      Memory is thought.

      As much is expectation is another thought.

      As much is the goal of the "state of thoughtlessness".......nothing but yet another thought.

      My sense is that a lot more happens during meditation than we are
      conscious of. Our best attitude towards meditation is no attitude at
      all.

      There is no best attitude.

      There is no attitude actually.

      Striving for meditation...or for that matter striving for anything.......

      .is akin ....

      .....the striving to build that turreted rock castle....

      .... with that beautiful moat around it, ....

      ...filled with rosewater..... and white Paramhansa swans swimming about.... alongside little yellow duckies.

      In your last night-sleep dream.

    • n0by
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 3, 2005
        What mind produces ......... these wise-words?

        :-)

        The mind can only produce ....... mind-crap.
      • jogeshwarmahanta
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 3, 2005
          Dear n0by,
          Namaskar.