Setting goals in meditation

  • Tony Osime
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 2, 2005
      Thanks Sandeep,

      ..Real meditation, being a thoughtless state, is free from goals, which
      is itself a form of thought.

      So if we approach meditation thinking I must meditate for 'x' minutes or
      I must achieve a certain state of mind, that process is simply a state
      of mind created by thoughts. Real meditation just happens. We might
      create a 'memory' of the meditation experience but we need to be careful
      and appreciate that the memory is not separate from the influence of
      thought and expectations.

      My sense is that a lot more happens during meditation than we are
      conscious of. Our best attitude towards meditation is no attitude at
      all.

      ...Tony
    • Tony Osime
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 3, 2005
        Thanks jogeshwarmahanta and Sandeep,

        I appreciate your comments on setting goals in meditation. I feel quite
        liberated from the constraints of goal setting. My meditation has a more
        natural and relaxed feel.
      • jogeshwarmahanta
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 3, 2005
          -Dear Tony,
          Namaskar.
          Welcome. Whenever you need, my experience is availble for you.
          Thanks.
          Regards.
          Jogeshwar.

          -- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Osime"