Re: Setting goals in meditation

  • jogeshwarmahanta
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2005
      Dear Tony,
      Namaskar.
      Goal is already set-achieving pure conscience and independence from
      time and space. It is difficult to conceive for a beginner. So the
      subgoal is-beauty, gracefulness, strength and toughness. Without
      these, evolution of conscience is difficult. Goal setting helps to
      evolve in the direction of goal(s) and cross the hurdles/hindrances
      on the way. Thanks.
      Regards,
      Jogeshwar.
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Osime"
      <tony.osime@f...> wrote:
      > Hello,
      >
      > Please can I have your thoughts and experience on setting goals in
      > meditation.
      >
      > Should we set goals?
      > How do goals influence meditation?
      > Are there different types (or levels) of goals?
      > Is not setting a goal itself an indirect goal?
      > Are goals and 'not goals' simply forms of mind chatter?
      >
      > Thanks...Tony
    • Tony Osime
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 2, 2005
        Thanks Sandeep,

        ..Real meditation, being a thoughtless state, is free from goals, which
        is itself a form of thought.

        So if we approach meditation thinking I must meditate for 'x' minutes or
        I must achieve a certain state of mind, that process is simply a state
        of mind created by thoughts. Real meditation just happens. We might
        create a 'memory' of the meditation experience but we need to be careful
        and appreciate that the memory is not separate from the influence of
        thought and expectations.

        My sense is that a lot more happens during meditation than we are
        conscious of. Our best attitude towards meditation is no attitude at
        all.

        ...Tony
      • Tony Osime
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 3, 2005
          Thanks jogeshwarmahanta and Sandeep,

          I appreciate your comments on setting goals in meditation. I feel quite
          liberated from the constraints of goal setting. My meditation has a more
          natural and relaxed feel.
        • jogeshwarmahanta
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 3, 2005
            -Dear Tony,
            Namaskar.
            Welcome. Whenever you need, my experience is availble for you.