Re: [Meditation Society of America] Setting goals in meditation

  • Sandeep
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2005

      Sent: Tuesday, March 01, 2005 7:34 PM
      Subject: [Meditation Society of America] Setting goals in meditation

      Hello,

      Please can I have your thoughts and experience on setting goals in
      meditation.

      Should we set goals?
      How do goals influence meditation?
      Are there different types (or levels) of goals?
      Is not setting a goal itself an indirect goal?
      Are goals and 'not goals' simply forms of mind chatter?
      Yes.
      That is why meditation happens .....

      ....is not achieved by thought.

      (Action....... being nothing but the cognition of it, ....is thus nothing but once again a thought)

    • Sandeep
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 2, 2005

        Sent: Wednesday, March 02, 2005 9:15 PM

        Thanks Sandeep,

        .Real meditation, being a thoughtless state, is free from goals, which
        is itself a form of thought.

        Yes, the conceptualization in the form of a technique labelled as meditation......

        ...is not meditation.

        Which does not mean that techniques are not teeming like candy bars, all over the place.

        So if we approach meditation thinking I must meditate for 'x' minutes or
        I  must achieve a certain state of mind, that process is simply a state
        of mind created by thoughts.

        Absolutely.

        The mind can only produce ....... mind-crap.

        That crap may smell profound, exalted....even "Samadhic" ....

        ....but the mind cannot conceive what it has no clue about.

        And thus all it can do is to go round and round the mulberry bush, which it has itself planted.

        The idea of Samadhi (the holy Grail for all meditators) .....

        ....births the experience of Samadhi, which is as much an ideation.....

        .. as much is the base idea.

         Real meditation just happens.

        Yes, in which the very concept of "meditation", "real"..."unreal", "becoming", "goals", "progress/failures towards such goals"......

        .......all that hoopla is absent.

         We might
        create a 'memory' of the meditation experience

        "That" (using a mere term, for this dialogue).........not being an experience, or an occuring state to an entity.......

        ........memory cannot touch it.

        We loosely use the term "happens .......but "that"..........is not an event in time.

         but we need to be careful
        and appreciate that the memory is not separate from the influence of
        thought and expectations.

        Memory is not influenced by thought.

        Memory is thought.

        As much is expectation is another thought.

        As much is the goal of the "state of thoughtlessness".......nothing but yet another thought.

        My sense is that a lot more happens during meditation than we are
        conscious of. Our best attitude towards meditation is no attitude at
        all.

        There is no best attitude.

        There is no attitude actually.

        Striving for meditation...or for that matter striving for anything.......

        .is akin ....

        .....the striving to build that turreted rock castle....

        .... with that beautiful moat around it, ....

        ...filled with rosewater..... and white Paramhansa swans swimming about.... alongside little yellow duckies.

        In your last night-sleep dream.

      • n0by
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 3, 2005
          What mind produces ......... these wise-words?

          :-)

          The mind can only produce ....... mind-crap.
        • jogeshwarmahanta
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 3, 2005
            Dear n0by,
            Namaskar.