Setting goals in meditation

  • Tony Osime
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2005
      Hello,

      Please can I have your thoughts and experience on setting goals in
      meditation.

      Should we set goals?
      How do goals influence meditation?
      Are there different types (or levels) of goals?
      Is not setting a goal itself an indirect goal?
      Are goals and 'not goals' simply forms of mind chatter?

      Thanks...Tony
    • jogeshwarmahanta
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2005
        Dear Tony,
        Namaskar.
        Goal is already set-achieving pure conscience and independence from
        time and space. It is difficult to conceive for a beginner. So the
        subgoal is-beauty, gracefulness, strength and toughness. Without
        these, evolution of conscience is difficult. Goal setting helps to
        evolve in the direction of goal(s) and cross the hurdles/hindrances
        on the way. Thanks.
        Regards,
        Jogeshwar.
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Osime"
        <tony.osime@f...> wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > Please can I have your thoughts and experience on setting goals in
        > meditation.
        >
        > Should we set goals?
        > How do goals influence meditation?
        > Are there different types (or levels) of goals?
        > Is not setting a goal itself an indirect goal?
        > Are goals and 'not goals' simply forms of mind chatter?
        >
        > Thanks...Tony
      • Tony Osime
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 2, 2005
          Thanks Sandeep,

          ..Real meditation, being a thoughtless state, is free from goals, which
          is itself a form of thought.

          So if we approach meditation thinking I must meditate for 'x' minutes or
          I must achieve a certain state of mind, that process is simply a state
          of mind created by thoughts. Real meditation just happens. We might
          create a 'memory' of the meditation experience but we need to be careful
          and appreciate that the memory is not separate from the influence of
          thought and expectations.

          My sense is that a lot more happens during meditation than we are
          conscious of. Our best attitude towards meditation is no attitude at
          all.

          ...Tony
        • Tony Osime
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 3, 2005
            Thanks jogeshwarmahanta and Sandeep,

            I appreciate your comments on setting goals in meditation. I feel quite
            liberated from the constraints of goal setting. My meditation has a more
            natural and relaxed feel.
          • jogeshwarmahanta
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 3, 2005
              -Dear Tony,
              Namaskar.
              Welcome. Whenever you need, my experience is availble for you.