Re: [Meditation Society of America] Weekly Words of Wisdom - Why do we need religion?

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2005
      <munkiman4u@y...> wrote:
      > Hi Bob,
      > eh? That's a nice excuse for something that seperates us so deeply.
      > We think it's a way to join-up forces in the scattered way that is
      > the disorderly universe. Through and through we are all
      > not even one and there is no other way, religous natural or
      > otherwise :-)
      > -Peace
      > --- medit8ionsociety <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      > >
      > > "Why do we need religion? It helps us go within and find that we
      > > are
      > > all made in the image of God, to find that God is our Source.
      > > Everything in Nature is trying to go back to its source. The soil
      > > nourishes the seed which grows into a big tree. Ultimately the
      > > falls down, breaks into pieces, becomes soil again. All rivers
      > > different names, different colors, different tastes, but they all
      > > have
      > > the same purpose. All the rivers are running towards the Mother
      > > Ocean.
      > > That is the goal. For religious unity, we don't have to all join
      > > the
      > > same religion, we don't have to convert from our original faith.
      > > All
      > > religions are for the same purpose, all take us to the same
      > >
      > > God bless you. Om Shanthi, Shanthi, Shanthi."
      > >
      > > H.H. Sri Gurudev Swami Satchidananda
      > >
      > > For more information about Swamiji:
      > > http://www.swamisatchidananda.org

      Yo Sri Jasonji,
      Good thought provoking and/or thought
      stopping post. I know that at some point
      it is very common for a "seeker" to
      question the continuation of following
      his religion. Often it is due to taking
      a more universal perspective of spirituality
      than the religion often infers IE: My way is
      the only right way. But I think Swamiji was
      very much into respecting the roots of all
      religions and often stated that there was
      no reason to give up on any religion, but
      rather take a better look at what it really
      is about. And it is easy to see that the
      Church/organization parts of religions may
      be messed up and actually 180 degrees away
      from what the religion actually was intended
      to be (a vehicle to be at one with God/Truth/etc.)
      Swamiji himself was as ecumenical as
      you can get, and never layed his own Hindu
      religion on anyone as the only way to go.
      He had as close personal friends a
      posse that included a Catholic priest, a Rabbi,
      a Lama, and a Zen monk. And as this diverse group
      of people played, danced and meditated together,
      it was obvious that in spite of the different robes
      they wore, they were all on the same page spiritually.

      In one way, there is no "Way", but for millions of
      people, and for thousands of years, religions have
      been a way to "Realization", which is the "real"
      point and task of "Religion".
      Peace and blessing,