Re: [Meditation Society of America] Weekly Words of Wisdom - Why do we need religion?

  • Jason Fishman
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 28, 2005
      Hi Bob,

      eh? That's a nice excuse for something that seperates us so deeply.

      We think it's a way to join-up forces in the scattered way that is
      the disorderly universe. Through and through we are all
      not even one and there is no other way, religous natural or
      otherwise :-)

      -Peace

      http://mail.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2005
        <munkiman4u@y...> wrote:
        > Hi Bob,
        >
        > eh? That's a nice excuse for something that seperates us so deeply.
        >
        > We think it's a way to join-up forces in the scattered way that is
        > the disorderly universe. Through and through we are all
        > not even one and there is no other way, religous natural or
        > otherwise :-)
        >
        > -Peace
        >
        > --- medit8ionsociety <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
        >

        > > "Why do we need religion? It helps us go within and find that we
        > > are
        > > all made in the image of God, to find that God is our Source.
        > > Everything in Nature is trying to go back to its source. The soil
        > > nourishes the seed which grows into a big tree. Ultimately the
        tree
        > > falls down, breaks into pieces, becomes soil again. All rivers
        have
        > > different names, different colors, different tastes, but they all
        > > have
        > > the same purpose. All the rivers are running towards the Mother
        > > Ocean.
        > > That is the goal. For religious unity, we don't have to all join
        > > the
        > > same religion, we don't have to convert from our original faith.
        > > All
        > > religions are for the same purpose, all take us to the same
        Source.

        > > God bless you. Om Shanthi, Shanthi, Shanthi."
        > >
        > > H.H. Sri Gurudev Swami Satchidananda
        > >
        > > For more information about Swamiji:
        > > http://www.swamisatchidananda.org

        Yo Sri Jasonji,
        Good thought provoking and/or thought
        stopping post. I know that at some point
        it is very common for a "seeker" to
        question the continuation of following
        his religion. Often it is due to taking
        a more universal perspective of spirituality
        than the religion often infers IE: My way is
        the only right way. But I think Swamiji was
        very much into respecting the roots of all
        religions and often stated that there was
        no reason to give up on any religion, but
        rather take a better look at what it really
        is about. And it is easy to see that the
        Church/organization parts of religions may
        be messed up and actually 180 degrees away
        from what the religion actually was intended
        to be (a vehicle to be at one with God/Truth/etc.)
        Swamiji himself was as ecumenical as
        you can get, and never layed his own Hindu
        religion on anyone as the only way to go.
        He had as close personal friends a
        posse that included a Catholic priest, a Rabbi,
        a Lama, and a Zen monk. And as this diverse group
        of people played, danced and meditated together,
        it was obvious that in spite of the different robes
        they wore, they were all on the same page spiritually.

        In one way, there is no "Way", but for millions of
        people, and for thousands of years, religions have
        been a way to "Realization", which is the "real"
        point and task of "Religion".
        Peace and blessing,