Weekly Words of Wisdom - Why do we need religion?

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 26, 2005
      "Why do we need religion? It helps us go within and find that we are
      all made in the image of God, to find that God is our Source.
      Everything in Nature is trying to go back to its source. The soil
      nourishes the seed which grows into a big tree. Ultimately the tree
      falls down, breaks into pieces, becomes soil again. All rivers have
      different names, different colors, different tastes, but they all have
      the same purpose. All the rivers are running towards the Mother Ocean.
      That is the goal. For religious unity, we don't have to all join the
      same religion, we don't have to convert from our original faith. All
      religions are for the same purpose, all take us to the same Source.

      God bless you. Om Shanthi, Shanthi, Shanthi."

      H.H. Sri Gurudev Swami Satchidananda

      For more information about Swamiji:
      http://www.swamisatchidananda.org
    • Jason Fishman
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 28, 2005
        Hi Bob,

        eh? That's a nice excuse for something that seperates us so deeply.

        We think it's a way to join-up forces in the scattered way that is
        the disorderly universe. Through and through we are all
        not even one and there is no other way, religous natural or
        otherwise :-)

        -Peace

        http://mail.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 1, 2005
          <munkiman4u@y...> wrote:
          > Hi Bob,
          >
          > eh? That's a nice excuse for something that seperates us so deeply.
          >
          > We think it's a way to join-up forces in the scattered way that is
          > the disorderly universe. Through and through we are all
          > not even one and there is no other way, religous natural or
          > otherwise :-)
          >
          > -Peace
          >
          > --- medit8ionsociety <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
          >

          > > "Why do we need religion? It helps us go within and find that we
          > > are
          > > all made in the image of God, to find that God is our Source.
          > > Everything in Nature is trying to go back to its source. The soil
          > > nourishes the seed which grows into a big tree. Ultimately the
          tree
          > > falls down, breaks into pieces, becomes soil again. All rivers
          have
          > > different names, different colors, different tastes, but they all
          > > have
          > > the same purpose. All the rivers are running towards the Mother
          > > Ocean.
          > > That is the goal. For religious unity, we don't have to all join
          > > the
          > > same religion, we don't have to convert from our original faith.
          > > All
          > > religions are for the same purpose, all take us to the same
          Source.

          > > God bless you. Om Shanthi, Shanthi, Shanthi."
          > >
          > > H.H. Sri Gurudev Swami Satchidananda
          > >
          > > For more information about Swamiji:
          > > http://www.swamisatchidananda.org

          Yo Sri Jasonji,
          Good thought provoking and/or thought
          stopping post. I know that at some point
          it is very common for a "seeker" to
          question the continuation of following
          his religion. Often it is due to taking
          a more universal perspective of spirituality
          than the religion often infers IE: My way is
          the only right way. But I think Swamiji was
          very much into respecting the roots of all
          religions and often stated that there was
          no reason to give up on any religion, but
          rather take a better look at what it really
          is about. And it is easy to see that the
          Church/organization parts of religions may
          be messed up and actually 180 degrees away
          from what the religion actually was intended
          to be (a vehicle to be at one with God/Truth/etc.)
          Swamiji himself was as ecumenical as
          you can get, and never layed his own Hindu
          religion on anyone as the only way to go.
          He had as close personal friends a
          posse that included a Catholic priest, a Rabbi,
          a Lama, and a Zen monk. And as this diverse group
          of people played, danced and meditated together,
          it was obvious that in spite of the different robes
          they wore, they were all on the same page spiritually.

          In one way, there is no "Way", but for millions of
          people, and for thousands of years, religions have
          been a way to "Realization", which is the "real"
          point and task of "Religion".
          Peace and blessing,