Re: Introvert v extrovert meditators

  • mlcanow
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 16, 2005
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Osime" <
      tony.osime@f...> wrote:
      > Hello everyone,
      >
      > I took a training course last week which included the Myers-Briggs
      > personality type profile. I found that I was strongly introvert -
      > (INTJ). I wondered if this has any relationship to meditation? For
      > instance, would introvert people be more natural meditators since they
      > live so much of their lives "within" their minds? Also, would different
      > approaches to meditation be more suitable for extrovert or introvert
      > types. For example, my liking of inner sounds meditation seems to suit
      > my introvert nature.
      >
      > Any thoughts or comments please.
      >
      > ...Tony

      It appears to me that it would be wonderful if you stay within yourself and not
      think about what would be better for others. If sound meditation is good for you,
      then stay with it. Wandering around so many different technics is not good for
      advancing. And a good way to stay within is to stay in your Self, not in your
      thoughts. Your true nature is that of the Self, not the personality.
    • �:-)
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 17, 2005

        hey Tony,

        from my p.o.v. people answer questions in the web

        similiar to lessons and training courses, offered

        everywhere: an approach ''seekers-in-mind'' to

        ''learn-meditation-from-mind'' - sorry: so the results.

        sorry: these results are in most cases opposite

        to the expectations - therefore the

        customers only dare to share,

        what fits to their expectations.

        n0by

        sorry: so the results

        p.s.: understanding starts with a smile

        - not a slime, sorry....

          Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 13:20:49 +0100
           From: "Tony Osime" <tony.osime@...>
        Subject: Introvert v extrovert meditators

        Hello everyone,

        I took a training course last week which included the Myers-Briggs
        personality type profile. I found that I was strongly introvert -
        (INTJ). I wondered if this has any relationship to meditation? For
        instance, would introvert people be more natural meditators since they
        live so much of their lives "within" their minds? Also, would different
        approaches to meditation be more suitable for extrovert or introvert
        types. For example, my liking of inner sounds meditation seems to suit
        my introvert nature.

        Any thoughts or comments please.

        ...Tony

        Do you Yahoo!?
      • Tony Osime
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 17, 2005
          -------------------
          It appears to me that it would be wonderful if you stay within yourself
          and not
          think about what would be better for others. If sound meditation is good
          for you,
          then stay with it. Wandering around so many different technics is not
          good for
          advancing. And a good way to stay within is to stay in your Self, not in
          your
          thoughts. Your true nature is that of the Self, not the personality.
          -------------------
          Thanks (mlcanow?) for this very profound comment. What you say makes
          sense - even to my mind! My mind now asks, what is the role of thought?
          How does it relate to the Self?

          ...Tony

        • Jason Fishman
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 17, 2005
            Hi Tony,

            Introvert as a description isn't very helpful for meditation.
            If there were a majority of meditators that took a similar
            test they would most likely be described in the same manner.

            Meditation isn't a group activity and for the entirety of
            practice, the focus is self-situated, as-if there are
            those that are not self oriented, even in group activities.

            If we meditate to better relate to others or the world at large
            then it remains a self focus in reflection.To be a healthy self
            or learn of love or anger or any assorted trait, all are self
            oriented activities, which benifits are seen through
            the eyes of the other to formulate those traits
            for themselves.

            The encompassing qualifier for meditation can be said to
            dissolve any hinderence to self by exposing the ways of
            the reflective other, without introversed or extroverted
            focus.

            Peace and Love

            Tony Osime <tony.osime@...> wrote:
            Hello everyone,

            I took a training course last week which included the Myers-Briggs
            personality type profile. I found that I was strongly introvert -
            (INTJ). I wondered if this has any relationship to meditation? For
            instance, would introvert people be more natural meditators since they
            live so much of their lives "within" their minds? Also, would different
            approaches to meditation be more suitable for extrovert or introvert
            types. For example, my liking of inner sounds meditation seems to suit
            my introvert nature.

            Any thoughts or comments please.

            ...Tony

            Do you Yahoo!?

          • Savitri &Kamalakar Rambhatla
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 19, 2005
              Tony:
              I see your points and feel at times the same. However at the end of the day intro or extro it is you who need to find the right mix and balance a state of equanimity. Meditation will take you beyond thoughts and mind. As our Swamiji Nithyananda  www.dhyanapeetam.org says, one should try as many techniques as possible , and once you find the technique suitable to you stick with it and practice.  Jai Gurudev

              Sri Nithya Swabav

              Tony Osime <tony.osime@...> wrote:

              -------------------
              It appears to me that it would be wonderful if you stay within yourself
              and not
              think about what would be better for others. If sound meditation is good
              for you,
              then stay with it. Wandering around so many different technics is not
              good for
              advancing. And a good way to stay within is to stay in your Self, not in
              your
              thoughts. Your true nature is that of the Self, not the personality.
              -------------------
              Thanks (mlcanow?) for this very profound comment. What you say makes
              sense - even to my mind! My mind now asks, what is the role of thought?
              How does it relate to the Self?

              ...Tony

            • jogeshwarmahanta
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 22, 2005
                <tony.osime@f...> wrote:
                > Hello everyone,
                >
                > I took a training course last week which included the Myers-Briggs
                > personality type profile. I found that I was strongly introvert -
                > (INTJ). I wondered if this has any relationship to meditation? For
                > instance, would introvert people be more natural meditators since
                they
                > live so much of their lives "within" their minds? Also, would
                different
                > approaches to meditation be more suitable for extrovert or
                introvert
                > types. For example, my liking of inner sounds meditation seems to
                suit
                > my introvert nature.
                >
                > Any thoughts or comments please.
                >
                > ...Tony

                Dear Tony,
                Namaskar.
                By now you have got a good deal of advice. Have you settled your
                mind? Basically I am too an introvert but it has never occured to my
                mind whether or not I shall succeed.From 1959 to 1975 I was a great
                failure. Since 1975 I am progressing.The path is infinite. However,
                in case you need any further advice or you have any query you are
                most welcome.Thanks.
                Regards,
                jogeshwar.
              • n0by
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 22, 2005
                  what are loosing since then?

                  ........Since 1975 I am progressing................
                • jogeshwarmahanta
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 22, 2005
                    --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "n0by"
                    <n0by4you@y...> wrote:

                    > what are loosing since then?
                    >

                    > ........Since 1975 I am progressing................

                    Dear n0by,
                    Namskar.
                    Since then I have lost a lot. Some losses have corresponding gains.
                    Some are only losses. Will my losses help you in gaining? Will you
                    please specify your meditative gains? Thanks.
                    Regards,
                    Jogeshwar.
                  • n0by
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 23, 2005
                      :-) thanks, sir, thanks for your kind question

                      :-( no interest in any kind of bargains

                      :-( special not in ''spiritual'' ones

                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 23, 2005
                        <n0by4you@y...> wrote:

                        > :-) thanks, sir, thanks for your kind question
                        >
                        > :-( no interest in any kind of bargains
                        >
                        > :-( special not in ''spiritual'' ones
                        >

                        > Will my losses help you in gaining? Will you please specify your
                        > meditative gains?

                        Dear n0by,
                        Namaskar.
                        So you had only interest to know my losses and nothing beyond?
                        Thanks.
                        Regards,
                        Jogeshwar.
                      • n0by
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 24, 2005
                          Deareast Jogeshwar,

                          isn't the faszination in e-mails
                          the meeting on personal level,
                          the simple human being with loss,
                          gained with esoteric educations
                          - as well as gain in peace after
                          the loss of worldly burden :-)

                          can you understand from this
                          my very simple approach my
                          desire to look at people's
                          face, whom are donated my
                          work words - provokations
                          for the strong ones, for
                          others will flatteries do :-)

                          yours

                          n0by

                          > Dear n0by,
                          > Namaskar.
                          > So you had only interest to know my losses and nothing beyond?
                          > Thanks.
                          > Regards,
                          > Jogeshwar.
                        • jogeshwarmahanta
                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 24, 2005
                            --My dear n0by,
                            Namaskar. Thanks for slightly elaborating your
                            message. I have already answered that I have lost a lot. But the
                            losses are not in the sense you think, Details you can get in due
                            course.
                            In Chapter 2 of Madbhagavat Geeta( Sankhya Yoga)
                            detail description of Sthita Prajna (stable minded) is given at
                            length. The summary words are : naika duhkhesu udbighnamana sukhesu
                            bigata spruha, that is, maintaining equilibrium both in joy and
                            sorrow. Aproaximating this state of mind is the foundation of Yoga.
                            So question of bargain is out of question. I conceive
                            life as a river. It takes out from somewhere and gives elsewhere.
                            There is no one to one correlation. OK? Thanks.
                            Regards,
                            Jogeshwar.

                            ]
                            - In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"
                            <jogeshwarmahanta@y...> wrote:

                            > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "n0by"
                            > <n0by4you@y...> wrote:
                            > >

                            > > :-) thanks, sir, thanks for your kind question
                            > >
                            > > :-( no interest in any kind of bargains
                            > >
                            > > :-( special not in ''spiritual'' ones
                            > >

                            > > Will my losses help you in gaining? Will you please specify
                            your
                            > > meditative gains?
                            >

                            > Dear n0by,
                            > Namaskar.
                            > So you had only interest to know my losses and nothing beyond?
                            > Thanks.
                            > Regards,
                            > Jogeshwar.
                          • jeff wissler
                            Message 13 of 15 , Feb 25, 2005
                              I have 2 questions......

                              1.  how do i post to the forum....or better what is the URL there...I used to do it but cant figure it out anymore lol

                              2.  Has anyone ever had this feeling while meditating?

                              Whenever I meditate, I experience a VERY WIERD FEELING. The very first time it scared me and in that fear it quickly disappated. Since then I have learned to ride it out and it feels kewl and yet I dont know what it actually is. Ok, here is the description:

                              After a point of relaxing and getting a centered feeling, I get this feeling of falling, or maybe vibrating...i am not really sure....if anyone has ever had any blood drawn and almost passed out, it kinda like that but without the negative nausious feeling. It is like I am falling or slipping from myself in my mind....if that makes any sense.

                              I have allowed the feeling to just happen and it is sorta like going down a high rollercoaster--that wierd pressure and feeling against your body. Anyway, at the end of the feeling...which last about 20-45 seconds if I can manage not to "focus" on them, I am just normal and relaxed again.

                              What is this? Since I am not leaping out my body or having any lucid dreams in meditation or even visuals, I am wondereing whats going on. It feels a whole heck of alot more powerful then just "getting relaxed".

                              ANY IDEAS PEOPLES?

                              Jeff

                              <jogeshwarmahanta@y...> wrote:

                              > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "n0by"
                              > <n0by4you@y...> wrote:
                              > >

                              > > :-) thanks, sir, thanks for your kind question
                              > >
                              > > :-( no interest in any kind of bargains
                              > >
                              > > :-( special not in ''spiritual'' ones
                              > >

                              > > Will my losses  help you in gaining? Will you  please specify
                              your
                              > > meditative gains?
                              >

                              > Dear n0by,
                              >          Namaskar.
                              > So you had only interest to know my losses and nothing beyond?
                              > Thanks.
                              > Regards,
                              > Jogeshwar.

                              Do you Yahoo!?

                            • jogeshwarmahanta
                              Message 14 of 15 , Feb 27, 2005
                                Dear friend,
                                Namaskar.
                                I do not have such feeling. But be sure inward journey is an
                                exploration. Many feelings wiill come and vanish. Only thing is to
                                remain steady to achieve ones goal. Thanks.
                                regards,
                                Jogeshwar.
                                --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, jeff wissler
                                <wisslewj@y...> wrote:
> [...]
                                > So question of bargain is out of question. I
                                conceive
                                > life as a river. It takes out from somewhere and gives elsewhere.
                                > There is no one to one correlation. OK? Thanks.
                                > Regards,
                                > Jogeshwar.
                                >
                                > ]
                                > - In
                                > <jogeshwarmahanta@y...> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "n0by"
                                > > <n0by4you@y...> wrote:
                                > > >

                                > > > :-) thanks, sir, thanks for your kind question
                                > > >
                                > > > :-( no interest in any kind of bargains
                                > > >
                                > > > :-( special not in ''spiritual'' ones
                                > > >

                                > > > Will my losses help you in gaining? Will you please specify
                                > your
                                > > > meditative gains?
                                > >

                                > > Dear n0by,
                                > > Namaskar.
                                > > So you had only interest to know my losses and nothing beyond?

                                Service.

                                > Yahoo! Mail - Find what you need with new enhanced search. Learn
                                more.