Introvert v extrovert meditators

  • Tony Osime
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 16, 2005
      Hello everyone,

      I took a training course last week which included the Myers-Briggs
      personality type profile. I found that I was strongly introvert -
      (INTJ). I wondered if this has any relationship to meditation? For
      instance, would introvert people be more natural meditators since they
      live so much of their lives "within" their minds? Also, would different
      approaches to meditation be more suitable for extrovert or introvert
      types. For example, my liking of inner sounds meditation seems to suit
      my introvert nature.

      Any thoughts or comments please.

      ...Tony
    • mlcanow
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 16, 2005
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Osime" <
        tony.osime@f...> wrote:
        > Hello everyone,
        >
        > I took a training course last week which included the Myers-Briggs
        > personality type profile. I found that I was strongly introvert -
        > (INTJ). I wondered if this has any relationship to meditation? For
        > instance, would introvert people be more natural meditators since they
        > live so much of their lives "within" their minds? Also, would different
        > approaches to meditation be more suitable for extrovert or introvert
        > types. For example, my liking of inner sounds meditation seems to suit
        > my introvert nature.
        >
        > Any thoughts or comments please.
        >
        > ...Tony

        It appears to me that it would be wonderful if you stay within yourself and not
        think about what would be better for others. If sound meditation is good for you,
        then stay with it. Wandering around so many different technics is not good for
        advancing. And a good way to stay within is to stay in your Self, not in your
        thoughts. Your true nature is that of the Self, not the personality.
      • �:-)
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 17, 2005

          hey Tony,

          from my p.o.v. people answer questions in the web

          similiar to lessons and training courses, offered

          everywhere: an approach ''seekers-in-mind'' to

          ''learn-meditation-from-mind'' - sorry: so the results.

          sorry: these results are in most cases opposite

          to the expectations - therefore the

          customers only dare to share,

          what fits to their expectations.

          n0by

          sorry: so the results

          p.s.: understanding starts with a smile

          - not a slime, sorry....

            Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 13:20:49 +0100
             From: "Tony Osime" <tony.osime@...>
          Subject: Introvert v extrovert meditators

          Hello everyone,

          I took a training course last week which included the Myers-Briggs
          personality type profile. I found that I was strongly introvert -
          (INTJ). I wondered if this has any relationship to meditation? For
          instance, would introvert people be more natural meditators since they
          live so much of their lives "within" their minds? Also, would different
          approaches to meditation be more suitable for extrovert or introvert
          types. For example, my liking of inner sounds meditation seems to suit
          my introvert nature.

          Any thoughts or comments please.

          ...Tony

          Do you Yahoo!?
        • Tony Osime
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 17, 2005
            -------------------
            It appears to me that it would be wonderful if you stay within yourself
            and not
            think about what would be better for others. If sound meditation is good
            for you,
            then stay with it. Wandering around so many different technics is not
            good for
            advancing. And a good way to stay within is to stay in your Self, not in
            your
            thoughts. Your true nature is that of the Self, not the personality.
            -------------------
            Thanks (mlcanow?) for this very profound comment. What you say makes
            sense - even to my mind! My mind now asks, what is the role of thought?
            How does it relate to the Self?

            ...Tony

          • Jason Fishman
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 17, 2005
              Hi Tony,

              Introvert as a description isn't very helpful for meditation.
              If there were a majority of meditators that took a similar
              test they would most likely be described in the same manner.

              Meditation isn't a group activity and for the entirety of
              practice, the focus is self-situated, as-if there are
              those that are not self oriented, even in group activities.

              If we meditate to better relate to others or the world at large
              then it remains a self focus in reflection.To be a healthy self
              or learn of love or anger or any assorted trait, all are self
              oriented activities, which benifits are seen through
              the eyes of the other to formulate those traits
              for themselves.

              The encompassing qualifier for meditation can be said to
              dissolve any hinderence to self by exposing the ways of
              the reflective other, without introversed or extroverted
              focus.

              Peace and Love

              Tony Osime <tony.osime@...> wrote:
              Hello everyone,

              I took a training course last week which included the Myers-Briggs
              personality type profile. I found that I was strongly introvert -
              (INTJ). I wondered if this has any relationship to meditation? For
              instance, would introvert people be more natural meditators since they
              live so much of their lives "within" their minds? Also, would different
              approaches to meditation be more suitable for extrovert or introvert
              types. For example, my liking of inner sounds meditation seems to suit
              my introvert nature.

              Any thoughts or comments please.

              ...Tony

              Do you Yahoo!?

            • Savitri &Kamalakar Rambhatla
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 19, 2005
                Tony:
                I see your points and feel at times the same. However at the end of the day intro or extro it is you who need to find the right mix and balance a state of equanimity. Meditation will take you beyond thoughts and mind. As our Swamiji Nithyananda  www.dhyanapeetam.org says, one should try as many techniques as possible , and once you find the technique suitable to you stick with it and practice.  Jai Gurudev

                Sri Nithya Swabav

                Tony Osime <tony.osime@...> wrote:

                -------------------
                It appears to me that it would be wonderful if you stay within yourself
                and not
                think about what would be better for others. If sound meditation is good
                for you,
                then stay with it. Wandering around so many different technics is not
                good for
                advancing. And a good way to stay within is to stay in your Self, not in
                your
                thoughts. Your true nature is that of the Self, not the personality.
                -------------------
                Thanks (mlcanow?) for this very profound comment. What you say makes
                sense - even to my mind! My mind now asks, what is the role of thought?
                How does it relate to the Self?

                ...Tony

              • jogeshwarmahanta
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 22, 2005
                  <tony.osime@f...> wrote:
                  > Hello everyone,
                  >
                  > I took a training course last week which included the Myers-Briggs
                  > personality type profile. I found that I was strongly introvert -
                  > (INTJ). I wondered if this has any relationship to meditation? For
                  > instance, would introvert people be more natural meditators since
                  they
                  > live so much of their lives "within" their minds? Also, would
                  different
                  > approaches to meditation be more suitable for extrovert or
                  introvert
                  > types. For example, my liking of inner sounds meditation seems to
                  suit
                  > my introvert nature.
                  >
                  > Any thoughts or comments please.
                  >
                  > ...Tony

                  Dear Tony,
                  Namaskar.
                  By now you have got a good deal of advice. Have you settled your
                  mind? Basically I am too an introvert but it has never occured to my
                  mind whether or not I shall succeed.From 1959 to 1975 I was a great
                  failure. Since 1975 I am progressing.The path is infinite. However,
                  in case you need any further advice or you have any query you are
                  most welcome.Thanks.
                  Regards,
                  jogeshwar.
                • n0by
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 22, 2005
                    what are loosing since then?

                    ........Since 1975 I am progressing................
                  • jogeshwarmahanta
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 22, 2005
                      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "n0by"
                      <n0by4you@y...> wrote:

                      > what are loosing since then?
                      >

                      > ........Since 1975 I am progressing................

                      Dear n0by,
                      Namskar.
                      Since then I have lost a lot. Some losses have corresponding gains.
                      Some are only losses. Will my losses help you in gaining? Will you
                      please specify your meditative gains? Thanks.
                      Regards,
                      Jogeshwar.
                    • n0by
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 23, 2005
                        :-) thanks, sir, thanks for your kind question

                        :-( no interest in any kind of bargains

                        :-( special not in ''spiritual'' ones

                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 23, 2005
                          <n0by4you@y...> wrote:

                          > :-) thanks, sir, thanks for your kind question
                          >
                          > :-( no interest in any kind of bargains
                          >
                          > :-( special not in ''spiritual'' ones
                          >

                          > Will my losses help you in gaining? Will you please specify your
                          > meditative gains?

                          Dear n0by,
                          Namaskar.
                          So you had only interest to know my losses and nothing beyond?
                          Thanks.
                          Regards,
                          Jogeshwar.
                        • n0by
                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 24, 2005
                            Deareast Jogeshwar,

                            isn't the faszination in e-mails
                            the meeting on personal level,
                            the simple human being with loss,
                            gained with esoteric educations
                            - as well as gain in peace after
                            the loss of worldly burden :-)

                            can you understand from this
                            my very simple approach my
                            desire to look at people's
                            face, whom are donated my
                            work words - provokations
                            for the strong ones, for
                            others will flatteries do :-)

                            yours

                            n0by

                            > Dear n0by,
                            > Namaskar.
                            > So you had only interest to know my losses and nothing beyond?
                            > Thanks.
                            > Regards,
                            > Jogeshwar.
                          • jogeshwarmahanta
                            Message 13 of 15 , Feb 24, 2005
                              --My dear n0by,
                              Namaskar. Thanks for slightly elaborating your
                              message. I have already answered that I have lost a lot. But the
                              losses are not in the sense you think, Details you can get in due
                              course.
                              In Chapter 2 of Madbhagavat Geeta( Sankhya Yoga)
                              detail description of Sthita Prajna (stable minded) is given at
                              length. The summary words are : naika duhkhesu udbighnamana sukhesu
                              bigata spruha, that is, maintaining equilibrium both in joy and
                              sorrow. Aproaximating this state of mind is the foundation of Yoga.
                              So question of bargain is out of question. I conceive
                              life as a river. It takes out from somewhere and gives elsewhere.
                              There is no one to one correlation. OK? Thanks.
                              Regards,
                              Jogeshwar.

                              ]
                              - In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"
                              <jogeshwarmahanta@y...> wrote:

                              > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "n0by"
                              > <n0by4you@y...> wrote:
                              > >

                              > > :-) thanks, sir, thanks for your kind question
                              > >
                              > > :-( no interest in any kind of bargains
                              > >
                              > > :-( special not in ''spiritual'' ones
                              > >

                              > > Will my losses help you in gaining? Will you please specify
                              your
                              > > meditative gains?
                              >

                              > Dear n0by,
                              > Namaskar.
                              > So you had only interest to know my losses and nothing beyond?
                              > Thanks.
                              > Regards,
                              > Jogeshwar.
                            • jeff wissler
                              Message 14 of 15 , Feb 25, 2005
                                I have 2 questions......

                                1.  how do i post to the forum....or better what is the URL there...I used to do it but cant figure it out anymore lol

                                2.  Has anyone ever had this feeling while meditating?

                                Whenever I meditate, I experience a VERY WIERD FEELING. The very first time it scared me and in that fear it quickly disappated. Since then I have learned to ride it out and it feels kewl and yet I dont know what it actually is. Ok, here is the description:

                                After a point of relaxing and getting a centered feeling, I get this feeling of falling, or maybe vibrating...i am not really sure....if anyone has ever had any blood drawn and almost passed out, it kinda like that but without the negative nausious feeling. It is like I am falling or slipping from myself in my mind....if that makes any sense.

                                I have allowed the feeling to just happen and it is sorta like going down a high rollercoaster--that wierd pressure and feeling against your body. Anyway, at the end of the feeling...which last about 20-45 seconds if I can manage not to "focus" on them, I am just normal and relaxed again.

                                What is this? Since I am not leaping out my body or having any lucid dreams in meditation or even visuals, I am wondereing whats going on. It feels a whole heck of alot more powerful then just "getting relaxed".

                                ANY IDEAS PEOPLES?

                                Jeff

                                <jogeshwarmahanta@y...> wrote:

                                > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "n0by"
                                > <n0by4you@y...> wrote:
                                > >

                                > > :-) thanks, sir, thanks for your kind question
                                > >
                                > > :-( no interest in any kind of bargains
                                > >
                                > > :-( special not in ''spiritual'' ones
                                > >

                                > > Will my losses  help you in gaining? Will you  please specify
                                your
                                > > meditative gains?
                                >

                                > Dear n0by,
                                >          Namaskar.
                                > So you had only interest to know my losses and nothing beyond?
                                > Thanks.
                                > Regards,
                                > Jogeshwar.

                                Do you Yahoo!?

                              • jogeshwarmahanta
                                Message 15 of 15 , Feb 27, 2005
                                  Dear friend,
                                  Namaskar.
                                  I do not have such feeling. But be sure inward journey is an
                                  exploration. Many feelings wiill come and vanish. Only thing is to
                                  remain steady to achieve ones goal. Thanks.
                                  regards,
                                  Jogeshwar.
                                  --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, jeff wissler
                                  <wisslewj@y...> wrote:
> [...]
                                  > So question of bargain is out of question. I
                                  conceive
                                  > life as a river. It takes out from somewhere and gives elsewhere.
                                  > There is no one to one correlation. OK? Thanks.
                                  > Regards,
                                  > Jogeshwar.
                                  >
                                  > ]
                                  > - In
                                  > <jogeshwarmahanta@y...> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "n0by"
                                  > > <n0by4you@y...> wrote:
                                  > > >

                                  > > > :-) thanks, sir, thanks for your kind question
                                  > > >
                                  > > > :-( no interest in any kind of bargains
                                  > > >
                                  > > > :-( special not in ''spiritual'' ones
                                  > > >

                                  > > > Will my losses help you in gaining? Will you please specify
                                  > your
                                  > > > meditative gains?
                                  > >

                                  > > Dear n0by,
                                  > > Namaskar.
                                  > > So you had only interest to know my losses and nothing beyond?

                                  Service.

                                  > Yahoo! Mail - Find what you need with new enhanced search. Learn
                                  more.