Re: Tango Zen: Walking Dance Meditation

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 11, 2005
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "tangozenhouse"
      <tangozenhouse@y...> wrote:

      > Bob,
      > Am I missing something or what? Do you eat goldfish? I thought
      > combining Tango with Zen was wierd.

      The goldfish eating reference was an attempt at
      humorously demonstrating how silly the Tango/Zen
      combo claim can be seen to be.

      > I don't know whether you noticed on my web site, where many dancers
      > dance with their eyes closed. Do you think they become mindful while
      > dancing?

      Possibly, but so could people eating goldfish,
      or doing any other activity. There are over
      6 billion people who have their eyes closed
      for about 8 hours every night, but I see no
      reason to conclude that they are being mindful
      in the sense that it denotes a meditative state.
      This kind of claim brings to mind a famous
      political debate where one vice-presidental
      candidate pointed to himself as being like
      Jack Kennedy and the other candidate said to him
      "I knew Jack Kennedy, and you Sir, are no Jack Kennedy".
      Within minutes of your posting about your site,
      I received an email from a friend who definitly knows
      a mindful/Zen state, who indicated that they were
      (and I'm quoting here) "ROTFLMAO!" So, I know I'm
      not the only one who sees your site as more dealing
      with selling dancing lessons, and very questionably
      having anything "real" dealing with Zen, mindfulnes,
      or anything similar.

      One of the very few things we don't cater to here in
      this group is helping publicize commercial ventures,
      and that's what your site seems to be to me. And to
      me it seems that the Zen aspect was just added on to
      add a unique spin to Tango dancing as a sales device,
      and what you are offering is a dancing experience and
      not a "Zen" one. And by not commenting on this, I could
      in a way be a party to leading people who are seeking
      a "real" Zen experience to be led to your dance studio
      instead of a place where "Zen" is experiential and not
      just a word in an ad.

      If my conclusions are wrong, so be it. But as the
      moderator of this group, I have to go with my gut
      feelings and with what I feel is right, and other
      similar cliches, and (here comes another cliche)
      I'm just calling it as I see it. If you care to,
      I'll be glad to hear your side of what I've just
      pontificated about. And I will be as empty a cup
      as I can be, to allow you to fill me with your
      Tango inspired Zen mindfulness wisdom.

      Prace and blessings,
      Bob

      > Chan

      > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Chan Park
      > > <tangozenhouse@y...> wrote:
      > > > Hello,
      > > > My name is Chan Park, and I am new member to this
      > > > group. I am not sure whether it is appropriate.
      > > > However, I'd like to cordially invite you to visit my
      > > > web site, www.TangoZen.com.
      > > >
      > > > Tango Zen is an innovative yet natural form of
      > > > meditation you can practice while dancing Tango.
      > > > Building on the striking similarities between Tango
      > > > and Zen, Tango Zen describes a literal step-by-step
      > > > method that is both rhythmic and simple to pursue in
      > > > order to accomplish a peaceful way of being.
      > > >
      > > > I look forward to hearing your comments and opinions
      > > > on Tango Zen.
      > > >
      > > > Thank you.
      > > >
      > > > Chan
      > > >

      > > Dear Chan,
      > > It seemed to me that your site had a lot more to do with
      > > selling dance lessons than displaying "the striking
      > > similarities between Tango and Zen". Of course there is
      > > no activity that cannot have the word "meditation" or
      > > "mindfullness" or "zen", and so on, applied to them, and
      > > thus Tango dancing could be seen as a "zen" activity, but
      > > I don't see how it would be anymore so than bowling or
      > > eating goldfish.
      > > Peace and blessings,
      > > Bob
    • tangozenhouse
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 12, 2005
        Bob,
        Thank you for being humorous to make your point.

        Regarding your reference to the Vice-Presidential debate, it was
        between Senator Lloyd Bentsen and Vice-President Dan Quayle in 1988.
        Bntsen said, "Senator, I served with Jack Kennedy. I knew Jack
        Kennedy. Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine. Senator, you're no Jack
        Kennedy." Again I thank you for going far off your way to make your
        point.

        Regarding your reference to "a friend who definitly knows
        a mindful/Zen state," I think I kinda know who that is. However, I
        also have friends who I think they shoud know a mindful/Zen state
        according to their titles. They also have supported my pursuit of Zen
        through Tango. Here is a review forwarded by a friend of mine, who
        happens to be a Zen master:

        "Every lover of tango should read this book! By using the ancient Zen
        art of mindfulness, Chan Park has developed a unique way of teaching
        tango. Park's simple yet effective exercises lead directly to the kind
        of experience all dancers yearn for: to be free, intimate, elegant and
        unselfconscious on the dance floor. It is the royal road to Tango
        bliss! This book will give you a tongue-tip taste of Zen and may even
        serve as a first step on a spiritual path. Tango Zen is illustrated
        with evocative photos that capture the intimacy and quiet joy of tango
        embrace, and is laced with inspiring quotes by a wide variety of
        dancers and spiritual teachers."

        Zen mindfulness wisdom, your cup or gut seems to be filled already. I
        have no desire to entertain or argue with your gut feelings.
        Especially, when my gut feelings tell me that you are afraid of
        dancing or dancers.

        Tango Here Now,

        Chan

        B--- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, medit8ionsociety

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 12, 2005
          <tangozenhouse@y...> wrote:

          > Bob,
          > Thank you for being humorous to make your point.
          >
          > Regarding your reference to the Vice-Presidential debate, it was
          > between Senator Lloyd Bentsen and Vice-President Dan Quayle in 1988.
          > Bntsen said, "Senator, I served with Jack Kennedy. I knew Jack
          > Kennedy. Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine. Senator, you're no Jack
          > Kennedy." Again I thank you for going far off your way to make your
          > point.
          >
          > Regarding your reference to "a friend who definitly knows
          > a mindful/Zen state," I think I kinda know who that is. However, I
          > also have friends who I think they shoud know a mindful/Zen state
          > according to their titles. They also have supported my pursuit of Zen
          > through Tango. Here is a review forwarded by a friend of mine, who
          > happens to be a Zen master:
          >
          > "Every lover of tango should read this book! By using the ancient Zen
          > art of mindfulness, Chan Park has developed a unique way of teaching
          > tango. Park's simple yet effective exercises lead directly to the kind
          > of experience all dancers yearn for: to be free, intimate, elegant and
          > unselfconscious on the dance floor. It is the royal road to Tango
          > bliss! This book will give you a tongue-tip taste of Zen and may even
          > serve as a first step on a spiritual path. Tango Zen is illustrated
          > with evocative photos that capture the intimacy and quiet joy of tango
          > embrace, and is laced with inspiring quotes by a wide variety of
          > dancers and spiritual teachers."

          > Zen mindfulness wisdom, your cup or gut seems to be filled already. I
          > have no desire to entertain or argue with your gut feelings.
          > Especially, when my gut feelings tell me that you are afraid of
          > dancing or dancers.
          >
          > Tango Here Now,
          >
          > Chan

          Dear Chan,
          Your condescending attitude is noted, and this is the last
          free ad for your dancing studio that will be posted on this
          group. I can agree that you may have a tongue-tip size taste
          of Zen, as supposedly quantified by a Zen master, but that
          certainly doesn't qualify you to claim any spiritual merit.
          That's just another dance you're doing. And actually that
          isn't very much is it? When you are full of Zen and not just
          dancing around it, come around again. In the mean time,
          I suggest you post on dance related groups. And gut outta here!