Re: Tango Zen: Walking Dance Meditation

  • tangozenhouse
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 11, 2005
      Bob,
      Am I missing something or what? Do you eat goldfish? I thought
      combining Tango with Zen was wierd.

      I don't know whether you noticed on my web site, where many dancers
      dance with their eyes closed. Do you think they become mindful while
      dancing?

      Chan

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 11, 2005
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "tangozenhouse"
        <tangozenhouse@y...> wrote:

        > Bob,
        > Am I missing something or what? Do you eat goldfish? I thought
        > combining Tango with Zen was wierd.

        The goldfish eating reference was an attempt at
        humorously demonstrating how silly the Tango/Zen
        combo claim can be seen to be.

        > I don't know whether you noticed on my web site, where many dancers
        > dance with their eyes closed. Do you think they become mindful while
        > dancing?

        Possibly, but so could people eating goldfish,
        or doing any other activity. There are over
        6 billion people who have their eyes closed
        for about 8 hours every night, but I see no
        reason to conclude that they are being mindful
        in the sense that it denotes a meditative state.
        This kind of claim brings to mind a famous
        political debate where one vice-presidental
        candidate pointed to himself as being like
        Jack Kennedy and the other candidate said to him
        "I knew Jack Kennedy, and you Sir, are no Jack Kennedy".
        Within minutes of your posting about your site,
        I received an email from a friend who definitly knows
        a mindful/Zen state, who indicated that they were
        (and I'm quoting here) "ROTFLMAO!" So, I know I'm
        not the only one who sees your site as more dealing
        with selling dancing lessons, and very questionably
        having anything "real" dealing with Zen, mindfulnes,
        or anything similar.

        One of the very few things we don't cater to here in
        this group is helping publicize commercial ventures,
        and that's what your site seems to be to me. And to
        me it seems that the Zen aspect was just added on to
        add a unique spin to Tango dancing as a sales device,
        and what you are offering is a dancing experience and
        not a "Zen" one. And by not commenting on this, I could
        in a way be a party to leading people who are seeking
        a "real" Zen experience to be led to your dance studio
        instead of a place where "Zen" is experiential and not
        just a word in an ad.

        If my conclusions are wrong, so be it. But as the
        moderator of this group, I have to go with my gut
        feelings and with what I feel is right, and other
        similar cliches, and (here comes another cliche)
        I'm just calling it as I see it. If you care to,
        I'll be glad to hear your side of what I've just
        pontificated about. And I will be as empty a cup
        as I can be, to allow you to fill me with your
        Tango inspired Zen mindfulness wisdom.

        Prace and blessings,
        Bob

        > Chan

        > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > >
        > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Chan Park
        > > <tangozenhouse@y...> wrote:
        > > > Hello,
        > > > My name is Chan Park, and I am new member to this
        > > > group. I am not sure whether it is appropriate.
        > > > However, I'd like to cordially invite you to visit my
        > > > web site, www.TangoZen.com.
        > > >
        > > > Tango Zen is an innovative yet natural form of
        > > > meditation you can practice while dancing Tango.
        > > > Building on the striking similarities between Tango
        > > > and Zen, Tango Zen describes a literal step-by-step
        > > > method that is both rhythmic and simple to pursue in
        > > > order to accomplish a peaceful way of being.
        > > >
        > > > I look forward to hearing your comments and opinions
        > > > on Tango Zen.
        > > >
        > > > Thank you.
        > > >
        > > > Chan
        > > >

        > > Dear Chan,
        > > It seemed to me that your site had a lot more to do with
        > > selling dance lessons than displaying "the striking
        > > similarities between Tango and Zen". Of course there is
        > > no activity that cannot have the word "meditation" or
        > > "mindfullness" or "zen", and so on, applied to them, and
        > > thus Tango dancing could be seen as a "zen" activity, but
        > > I don't see how it would be anymore so than bowling or
        > > eating goldfish.
        > > Peace and blessings,
        > > Bob
      • tangozenhouse
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 12, 2005
          Bob,
          Thank you for being humorous to make your point.

          Regarding your reference to the Vice-Presidential debate, it was
          between Senator Lloyd Bentsen and Vice-President Dan Quayle in 1988.
          Bntsen said, "Senator, I served with Jack Kennedy. I knew Jack
          Kennedy. Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine. Senator, you're no Jack
          Kennedy." Again I thank you for going far off your way to make your
          point.

          Regarding your reference to "a friend who definitly knows
          a mindful/Zen state," I think I kinda know who that is. However, I
          also have friends who I think they shoud know a mindful/Zen state
          according to their titles. They also have supported my pursuit of Zen
          through Tango. Here is a review forwarded by a friend of mine, who
          happens to be a Zen master:

          "Every lover of tango should read this book! By using the ancient Zen
          art of mindfulness, Chan Park has developed a unique way of teaching
          tango. Park's simple yet effective exercises lead directly to the kind
          of experience all dancers yearn for: to be free, intimate, elegant and
          unselfconscious on the dance floor. It is the royal road to Tango
          bliss! This book will give you a tongue-tip taste of Zen and may even
          serve as a first step on a spiritual path. Tango Zen is illustrated
          with evocative photos that capture the intimacy and quiet joy of tango
          embrace, and is laced with inspiring quotes by a wide variety of
          dancers and spiritual teachers."

          Zen mindfulness wisdom, your cup or gut seems to be filled already. I
          have no desire to entertain or argue with your gut feelings.
          Especially, when my gut feelings tell me that you are afraid of
          dancing or dancers.

          Tango Here Now,

          Chan

          B--- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, medit8ionsociety

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 12, 2005
            <tangozenhouse@y...> wrote:

            > Bob,
            > Thank you for being humorous to make your point.
            >
            > Regarding your reference to the Vice-Presidential debate, it was
            > between Senator Lloyd Bentsen and Vice-President Dan Quayle in 1988.
            > Bntsen said, "Senator, I served with Jack Kennedy. I knew Jack
            > Kennedy. Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine. Senator, you're no Jack
            > Kennedy." Again I thank you for going far off your way to make your
            > point.
            >
            > Regarding your reference to "a friend who definitly knows
            > a mindful/Zen state," I think I kinda know who that is. However, I
            > also have friends who I think they shoud know a mindful/Zen state
            > according to their titles. They also have supported my pursuit of Zen
            > through Tango. Here is a review forwarded by a friend of mine, who
            > happens to be a Zen master:
            >
            > "Every lover of tango should read this book! By using the ancient Zen
            > art of mindfulness, Chan Park has developed a unique way of teaching
            > tango. Park's simple yet effective exercises lead directly to the kind
            > of experience all dancers yearn for: to be free, intimate, elegant and
            > unselfconscious on the dance floor. It is the royal road to Tango
            > bliss! This book will give you a tongue-tip taste of Zen and may even
            > serve as a first step on a spiritual path. Tango Zen is illustrated
            > with evocative photos that capture the intimacy and quiet joy of tango
            > embrace, and is laced with inspiring quotes by a wide variety of
            > dancers and spiritual teachers."

            > Zen mindfulness wisdom, your cup or gut seems to be filled already. I
            > have no desire to entertain or argue with your gut feelings.
            > Especially, when my gut feelings tell me that you are afraid of
            > dancing or dancers.
            >
            > Tango Here Now,
            >
            > Chan

            Dear Chan,
            Your condescending attitude is noted, and this is the last
            free ad for your dancing studio that will be posted on this
            group. I can agree that you may have a tongue-tip size taste
            of Zen, as supposedly quantified by a Zen master, but that
            certainly doesn't qualify you to claim any spiritual merit.
            That's just another dance you're doing. And actually that
            isn't very much is it? When you are full of Zen and not just
            dancing around it, come around again. In the mean time,
            I suggest you post on dance related groups. And gut outta here!