Witness Meditation

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 8, 2005
      In answer to an email question asking "What is the inner Witness that
      you often refer to", I have copied technique #42 from our web site,
      Meditation Station http://www.meditationsociety.com
      I hope this will be educational and beneficial to you. Enjoy!

      Witness Meditation

      You have a Witness within you that can observe your mind, body, and
      emotions. As long as your conciousness is attached to a human body,
      there will be stimuli impacting you from the environment. You will
      react physically, mentally, and emotionally - one way more than the
      other two. The predominant way you react is your primary problem; you
      are controlled by it.

      To demonstrate this, let's call a physically reactive person "Human
      #1", a mentally reactive person "Human #2", and an emotionally
      reactive person "Human #3".

      If you punch Human #1 in the arm, he may punch you back. Human #2 may
      start to analyze the situation in a way such as "I have just been
      struck. I may have suffered cellular damage. Perhaps I should run
      away." Human #3, when punched, may simply start crying. Everyone is
      either Human #1, #2, or #3. One is neither better nor worse than
      another; each one is a slave to reaction and suffers because of it.

      If you can quiet your mind, which will happen with meditation, your
      Witness can see in which way you are predominantly reactive. This will
      be the start of gaining inner freedom. Ultimately you will gain
      control of that primary controlling aspect and strengthen the other
      two until all are equally strong. You will then be a well-balanced,
      self-controlling person, able to act and not just react. This is Human #4.

      It all starts with knowing your Witness and this can start now. As you
      read this, be concious of your body; is there any unnecessary tension?
      Check your feet, legs, torso, arms, neck, head; are you using any
      unnecessary muscles? Command them to relax - they will. Now be
      conscious of your emotions; witness them now; are you happy, sad,
      joyous, depressed, feeling, or non-feeling? What is your intellect
      doing now? Are you fantasizing about something? Are you judging or
      comparing anything?

      Witness without comment, passion, or any reactivity. Simply witness.
      There is a conciousness looking out of your eyes, listening with your
      ears, smelling with your nose, tasting with your tongue, and feeling
      with your skin. It is aware of your emotions and mentation. Merge with
      this Conscious Witness. It is your Real Self. Know your Self, and know
      true infinite freedom, transcendent of mind, body, and emotions, which
      are all finite.