what is healing???

  • rajeevi0416
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 28, 2005
      All the words in this section are as spoken by Nithyananda Swamiji.
      Reading them carefully and trying to understand them deeply will
      bring about a radical change within us. When we transform inside, the
      outside transforms automatically.

      Please visit www.dhyanapeetam.org

      What is healing?
      In Swamiji's words, "Healing is restoring Physical and Mental Health.
      There are seven Energy centres in our body called the seven chakras.
      They manage our physical, mental and emotional activities. Due to our
      emotions or some other reason, if any one of them gets disturbed,
      disease prevails. Different diseases are associated with the
      different chakras . If you can activate or energise the chakras by a
      meditation technique, then you can free yourself from dis-ease."

      Can you pass energy to people? "Certainly" says Swamiji. "Energy is
      subtle matter. When it is gross, it is Matter and when it is subtle,
      it is Energy. As per Albert Einstein's theory of relativity, Energy
      becomes Matter and Matter becomes Energy. When people asked Einstein
      how energy becomes matter, he replied 'here ends Science and starts
      Spirituality'. Where Einstein ends, the Upanishads start .

      Diseases like diabetes and blood pressure that have their roots in
      the psychosomatic level and have no direct cure in the field of
      Medical Science can be healed through meditation techniques. If you
      are unable to adopt the Meditation techniques yourself, then another
      person does it and passes the Energy to you through ' Ananda
      Healing ' - Swamiji's technique of harnessing the Divine Energy to
      channel it into people to energise and heal them.

      When asked, "Will meditation really help?", Swamiji says, "There is
      no need to speak in the language of belief or faith. To know that an
      apple is tasty, you dont have to have any belief - just have a bite
      and you will understand!"

      The First Healing Miracle:
      As a Realised Soul, Swamiji came wandering to the banks of Cauvery to
      a place called Bahavani Sangamam (in Mukkoodal in South India). His
      first healing miracle was with a man called Ilampillai Ramaswamy who
      was the Chieftain of the village called Ilampillai. He was suffering
      from lung cancer and came to Swamiji for his blessings. Even as he
      spoke, blood spurted from his mouth. Swamiji gave him vibuthi (Holy
      Ash) and he could feel the energy passing through his body during the
      three healing sessions with Swamiji. Medical tests proved that he was
      completely cured.
    • Nina
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 29, 2005
        Interesting reading. I like the part about
        energy and matter representing two 'snapshots'
        along a spectrum of 'what is possible'. It made
        me consider what might be denser than matter and
        lighter than energy. It also made me think of
        how within stillness, it is possible to hear
        the subtle beginnings of movement which might
        then amplify into larger movement, without losing
        that sense of stillness. There was also a question
        this reading recalled...

        Something I've been wondering about lately is the
        adoption of another culture of spirituality to
        'teach' and 'learn' about spirit. While saying
        that I love what Nithyananda had to say and that
        Rajeev felt resonant enough with it to post it,
        I also wonder what meaning and resonance the
        Upanishads (since the Upanishads were mentioned)
        may hold for westerners without the linguistic
        and cultural heritage that the intended audience
        for the Upanishads held/holds. Is anything lost
        in translation? Or, is the mind flexible enough
        to fully translate the meaning?

        The real context of this wondering for me has to
        do with the (local) presumption that in order to
        study yoga, one must learn Sanskrit. So, in some
        classes you have teachers who will use both the
        English and Sanskrit names of poses, but more often
        than not, you are learning to associate a series
        of physical moves with what is in the beginning a
        collection of foreign syllables. Eventually, you
        create a somatic meaning that is associated with
        what becomes identifiable as a word, but is it
        the meaning that is intended? It seems to me that
        the Sanskrit names, for someone familiar with
        Sanskrit in a linguistic-cultural sense, would
        most likely have been chosen to represent some
        abstract, perhaps metaphorical sense of the physical
        position, the asana, or the 'seat of consciousness'.
        For someone who has a linguistic-cultural grounding
        in Sanskrit, the larger meaning as regards the
        metaphor-by-way-of-word would resonate with the mind
        prior to making even the first move into the asana.

        Arguably, this sort of grounding (the mind taking a
        'position' prior to the body expressing that position)
        is not possible for someone learning Sanskrit during
        and after commencing the learning of the physical
        position, or even someone learning Sanskrit in adulthood.
        While it is possible to learn new languages later in life
        and even become fluent in an accent, studies have shown
        that the critical window for language acquisition
        occurs in the womb and the months shortly thereafter -
        these are the months where the mind sorts and orders
        sounds into the form of language beginning in the nervous
        system (response) and developing eventually into speech
        (action). (Some have even gone so far as to state that there
        might be some genetic or cellular heritage related to linguistic
        predisposition.) The language that is acquired during this
        time is the language that forms the 'circuit board' that can
        be shown to structure conceptual possibilities.

        As an adult, each time a word is spoken, it triggers within
        the body a particular array of psychosomatic responses
        associated with a person's history with use of that word, right
        back through preverbal associations with the syllables and
        simple sounds of that word. Sanskrit is a powerful language,
        because it seems to recognize the power of syllable and
        sound in a way that not many other languages do. However,
        my question centers on whether this power is available for
        everyone, even someone who does not have a linguistic
        cultural grounding in Sanskrit that sources well into his/her
        preverbal developmental stages. For instance, are the associations
        we garner as adult American-English speakers when we say
        "Padmasana" the originally intended associations, or even
        the associations garnered by someone with a preverbal relationship
        with the syllables and sounds of Sanskrit?

        What prompted me to write this post was Rajeev's discussion
        of healing within the context of Nithyananda Swamiji, not
        explicitly about Sanskrit, but close to the issue of culture
        influencing a perception of spiritual tenets. The primary
        questions for me after reading the story were: where do I
        find 'myself' within this story, and, is it relevant to the
        intention of the story? With imagination and empathy, I can
        find myself in both Swamiji and the chieftain he healed,
        Ilampillai Ramaswamy. I might even have a particular sense
        of what south India is like, though I have never traveled
        there and don't recall seeing images of it on the internet.
        I might have a general idea about India formed by my friendships
        with Americans of Indian heritage, movies I have seen, and
        what I have heard about India while studying yoga in the USA.
        But what am I missing, and are these missing, unspoken pieces,
        rooted in language and culture, critical to my full understanding
        of the meaning behind the tale?

        It reminds me that all traditions, all languages and cultures,
        carry with them an expression of the divine, and in this case,
        a story about healing. Once, at the invitation of my elderly
        neighbor, I found myself at a local revival sponsored by a
        collection of Christian churches. It struck me how the ministers,
        from a variety of protestant denominations, seemed to be offering
        timeless messages in a language that was directly related to
        the experience of the audience. Most surprisingly, towards the
        end of the service, one of the ministers got up to speak about
        healing... in a way that mirrored Nithyananda Swamiji's story
        in a way that a mirror with warbled glass might mirror a person's
        face. He spoke about the nature of healing, using words and
        stories that spoke directly to the experience of the people in
        the audience, in a familiarly accented voice. Most remarkably,
        after the service, people were invited to come forward to be
        healed. How was this performed? The ministers and those seeking
        relief kneeled before each other over a rail, and then embraced,
        touching foreheads as the minister lightly touched the seeker's
        occiput and stated a variation on 'so be it'. It struck me that
        here are westerners who are, perhaps unconsciously, working with
        the energy centers of the body and a very precise way.

        It has me wondering about the wisdom of using Sanskrit as
        the primary linguistic metaphor for western students of yoga.
        Certainly, it adds another dimension to view something from
        a perspective outside of your own, to try on another 'thinking
        cap' in a way. However, can a western student access yoga
        through Sanskrit?

        This is not to question that yoga, that which may be described
        or taught using Sanskrit, is accessible to western students.
        It is only to bring up a reflection on what might describe
        yoga in a way that is eminently accessible for westerners...
        and... if I might go so far as to narrow it down... an audience
        that is often comprised of predominantly western women (as
        far as the makeup of most hatha yoga classes). What is the
        metaphorical language that goes to the root of yoga via
        the 'being of a western woman'?

        Well, Rajeev, quite a springboard you have provided here...
        :) Nina