Journal Entry-Eve

  • eveneon
    Message 1 of 37 , Nov 11, 2002
      Date: November 11, 2002
      Time: 8:15am, 45 minutes (open)
      Position: Sitting on bed, cross-legged, eyes closed, hands resting on
      lap
      Technique: Body and breath awareness

      Mind chatter was high today and my concentration was medium. Began
      chanting OM silently but decided to stop after a while, and just
      focus on the sound of my breath going in and out. Sometimes it's hard
      to distinguish between observing my thoughts and engaging in them. I
      am just reminded of Bob saying that witnessing is always silent; it
      doesn't comment on what is happening during meditation. It helps to
      remember to say to myself to just observe and learn, and not try so
      hard to not think. Watch and learn.
      There was constant but mild back pain, otherwise my body felt pretty
      relaxed. Ended my session by gently moving hands around before
      opening my eyes to help bring my awareness back into the room more
      slowly.
    • Tony
      Message 37 of 37 , Nov 15, 2002
        Hi Eve,

        The sound you can hear comes up not only during meditation but at any time
        you become present enough to "listen" to yourself.

        I have found I have up to 5 or more different voices depending on the
        situation and my frame of mind. My typical voice is a logical, reasoning
        type of person - a bit like a college professor I think! I sometimes have
        the voice of child-like astonishment. A very long time ago (over 25 years) I
        was very surprised to hear a dark, mysterious, frightening voice telling me
        to stop playing mind games and go to sleep.

        As you get to know your different voices you get a better picture of your
        frame of mind at the time. The next stage might involve switching voices
        when you need a different way of looking at a situation. A further stage
        still might be inventing a new voice to achieve a desired effect. But maybe
        that is going too far in the wrong direction. Keeping it simple might be a
        better approach. If it happens we notice a change in voice at any time we
        can simply take that into account.

        ...Tony