The Role of Sound of Meditation

  • swamitarakananda
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2005
      Friends-

      Here is an excerpt from an article, entitled "The Role of Sound in Meditation", which I
      thought might interest people:

      "...Why do we use sound in meditation? Why not use one of the other senses or
      faculties, since touch, sight, taste, and smell must also possess increasingly subtler
      forms until they reach the point of their emerging? It is true that these four faculties
      do have subtle forms, but only sound reaches to the ultimate point of emergence.

      The five senses correspond to the five elements of which all things consist. Those
      elements are ether, air, fire, water, and earth. That is, their grossest forms are those
      of sound, sight, touch, taste, and smell as perceived by the bodily senses. Because of
      this we use these terms to refer to them. But the water element is not just the liquid
      we call "water." It is much, much more, having roots into the astral and causal planes.
      The same is true of the other elements.

      When relative existence, individual or cosmic, begins, there is a chain of
      manifestation. First there is the out-turning of the consciousness itself. This
      modification on the cosmic level is the emerging of the Mahat Tattwa, the Great
      Element, that is the Personal or Saguna Brahman, spoken of in Christianity as "the
      Only-begotten of the Father" or "Son" of God. In the individual this is the sense of
      asmita : I-am-ness. Then the Pradhana [Prakriti] modifies itself into the five elements,
      beginning with the ether, and each succeeding element contains within itself some of
      the preceding elements. That is, air is not "pure" but is air mixed with some ether.
      Fire possesses some of the ether and air element. Water has some fire, air, and ether.
      Earth has some water, fire, air, and ether. So only ether is unmixed, and only ether is
      "touching" the principle of individualized consciousness. In other words, only ether is
      in direct contact with the spirit. Yet ether [akasha] pervades all the other elements as
      their prime constituent–actually as their source and core element. Sound is the quality
      (or faculty) of ether; touch is the quality of air; sight is the quality of fire; taste is the
      quality of water; and smell is the quality of earth. Sound, then, is the only thing that
      reaches back to the principle of consciousness. The other elements stop somewhere
      along the way.

      The five elements also correspond to the five levels or bodies known as koshas: the
      anandamaya, jnanamaya, manomaya, pranamaya, and annamaya bodies. These are
      the intelligence, intellectual, mental (sensory), biomagnetic, and physical bodies. The
      highest (most subtle) body is the etheric body (anandamaya kosha) which is the seat
      of sound or speech.

      Sound, then, is the direct means to return our awareness to the inmost level of our
      being and put us into touch with consciousness itself. In fact, consciousness is innate
      in sound. At the same time, sound rules all the levels of our being and has the ability
      to..."

      To read more, go to: http://www.atmajyoti.org/me_role_of_sound_meditation.asp

      Sorry for the teaser, but the entire article is to long for a forum.

      Happy New Year!