how tangents aren't tangents

  • Nina
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 29, 2004
      Hello, holiday greetings to everyone.

      I've copied below a letter about a group
      that is getting together locally. Someone
      has already responded and suggested we do
      some study of Ken Wilbur's 'integrated theory
      of everything', lol, since that is the nature
      of the group. At any rate, I know there are
      lots of perspectives available on this list,
      and so I wanted to loft this letter and see
      if anyone here gets inspired to propose
      some connections we might think to explore
      in our group.

      For those of you who have yogi wives,
      hint hint, nudge nudge, might you ask them
      if they have any input?

      thanks a whole bunch,
      Nina

      ---

      Hi, everyone! I hope you've all been having good holidays.

      Some of you may already have heard of the info in this
      message, so please forgive the repeat and lend space to
      the possibility that the ideas are evolving based on
      feedback I have received. The ideas may not be in the
      same form you have heard before. For the rest, please
      bear with me and read to the bottom of this long message.
      I thank you in advance for giving the content of this
      message consideration and offer you many thanks for all
      feedback you feel inspired to share with me. If you are
      interested in joining up, let me know!

      I am organizing an exploratory yoga practice with/for teachers
      and folks who have an established, regular practice of yoga.
      Since this is a group for teachers as well as practicioners,
      part of the aim would be to help each other grow in how/what
      we teach. The main aim is to explore, make connections, and
      feed our practices and understandings of yoga by looking
      beyond the limits of an assumed form of yoga. We will be
      getting together regularly for exchange, practice, and
      comraderie... and the fun of gaining new insights into yoga!

      The structure is essentially a 'derive'. The term sprang to use
      with a group called the Situationist International, a group created
      by Guy Debord in imitation of Andre Breton's leadership of the
      surrealist art and theory movement. Debord's group developed
      several social-aesthetic methods for breaking out of advanced
      capitalistic cultural systems. One of these methods was termed
      'derive'. A derive is a trip with no destination, which is diverted
      arbitrarily en route.

      In the mid 1990s, I spent several seasons practicing urban derive
      in Vienna, Austria, and grokked that what might seem arbitrary may
      not be so arbitrary, afterall. We are enmeshed in systems well beyond
      our comprehension, but that doesn't mean there is no system. It also
      doesn't bar the opportunity to have a few fleeting yet momentous
      insights into the entirety of that system.

      Where have we, as yogis, heard this before? You see, there is yoga
      all around us, in the most unexpected places!

      And so, in a way similar to the situationists, this group will begin
      our derive with starting points (see a few of these below),
      and travel to who-knows-where. All the while, we will, as a group,
      endeavor to understand the connections, the nourishment, and
      the wisdom that this who-knows-where offers us personally and as
      regards our practice and teaching of yoga.

      To get this group off to a good start, I have pulled together material
      for three solid starting points, delineated below. Depending on
      interest and availability of materials and guest demonstrators or
      teachers, we might begin with any one of the following and see
      where it takes us! As you can probably guess, any one of these
      starting points could take months to wander. If we're lucky,
      our group momentum will take us beyond expectations...

      ** A demonstration by a local sifu of the principles and forms
      of his martial art might lead to an exploration of how this may
      in-form our movement into and out of asana. Supplemental to this
      discussion, we might view a selection from a Douglas Fairbanks
      movie and go on to view Dona Holleman's video "A Fish in Search
      of Water", where she demonstrates her understanding of the link
      between martial arts, Douglas Fairbanks, and her yoga practice.
      Dona Holleman's video covers other ground, as well, and this,
      or something else, might lead us to more material...

      ** A class on how to develop awareness of the somatorespiratory
      wave taught by a local network chiropractor might facilitate
      exploration of how to incorporate this awareness into our practice
      and how we might work with this awareness while teaching and
      adjusting students. This discussion might lead us to explore the
      connection between the spine and breath as put forth by Continuum
      Movement and/or by Body Mind Centering work. How does yoga arise
      from the breath? What is the anatomy and physiology of this?
      How does this relate to the spine and the rest of the body?
      To help us understand how others answer these questions in
      practice, we might view videos of Vanda Scaravelli and Diane Long
      practicing yoga and then play with what we have grokked of their
      practice. Sandra Sabatini's book on the breath in yoga might be
      read out loud as we attempt to integrate her understandings as
      we practice. Perhaps there are other ways of exploring these
      questions, and we will have an opportunity to go there, as well...

      ** We might attend a Butoh workshop at one of the dance studios
      and follow that with explorations of how the sort of consciousness
      required to perform Butoh might express in the practice of yoga.
      Will this lead us to a discussion of shamanism? Perhaps a viewing
      of portions of Joseph Campbell's videos on the power of myth...
      and an exploration of asana as mythic iconography? Have you ever
      dreamed yourself in yoga asana or spontaneously gone into asana
      and wondered what that was about? Perhaps this will inspire us
      to share and demonstrate how we individually have connected with
      that sort of spontaneity, and this, in turn, will lead to other
      explorations...

      Below are some questions to you all. Feel free to email me
      or call me if you feel inspired to respond. (Oh, and especially
      if you are interested in joining up with us for this endeavor!)

      ** How has your yoga practice been inspired by other knowledge
      bases and practices?

      ** In what other knowledge bases and practices do you find
      connections with yoga?

      ** Do you know of anyone who might be interested in teaching a
      class to this group? Active participation and demonstration
      preferred to lecture... we want to be supported by guest teachers
      to experience their perspective in our own bodies and minds.

      ** Do you know of any videos that are somewhat documentary about yoga
      practice, discussing theory as much or moreso than leading a 'class',
      but which also demonstrate asana in regards to that theory?

      I would love to hear from you all what your thoughts are on
      such a group, particularly ideas for classes and what you think
      would make such an endeavor succeed.
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 29, 2004
        Yo Sri Ninaji,
        Very interesting post. It seems like this is dealing with the
        formation of a live-in-person group, or the expansion of one already
        established. Would this be correct, and if so, where would it be located?
        Personally, I'm copying this post to show to Bette, my yoga teaching
        wife, but I'm afraid that she is so busy doing new grandma yoga now
        that any input she gives will be pretty immature:)
        Good luck to all with this interesting project!