Zen and the Art of Knifemaking

    Message 1 of 27 , Dec 18, 2004
      Here's another example of making knives meditatively in spite of
      having 10 thumbs. A little bit of stabilizing meditation methodology
      (I like Nina's referring to this as 'intuitive' IE: just do it!) , and
      a little bit of analytical type meditation (since I lack any real
      skill, I read a lot of knife info on forums). What you will see in the
      photo section, pics #55 and 56, is a damascus steel Gut Hook blade,
      brass mosaic pins, a brass guard, and juniper burl wood (possibly the
      most beautiful of all woods?). Use a little left brain, and a bit of
      right, let it mix together, get your chatterer out of the way, and let
      your hands and eyes do their thing, and out pops a knife.
      BTW, I really appreciate all the kind comments from my fellow
      meditator/knife appreciators. It has been a big surprise that so many
      others have this obsession...er, I mean interest.
      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 24, 2005
        New knife posted in the photo section (#61 & 62)
        is a "Goliath" blade (14") with a juniper
        burl handle. Also pictured is a hand made blade
        created using the stock removal method. This
        involves using your eyes and hands, working with a
        metal band saw, grinder, belt sander, files and
        sandpaper, to form a blade from a block of steel.
        So, using tools to make a tool, one of the oldest
        functions of humankind continues to take place.
        Message 3 of 27 , Jul 6, 2005
          The family that blades together stays together.
          The newest knife that has appeared is a Bowie
          made of heat treated 1095 steel with a Juniper
          Burl wood handle. It was made by me, my son and
          my daughter-in-law during their visit last week.
          It was so much fun sharing the sparks flying,
          the wood taking shape and and the smells of a
          shop alive with machinery and laughter. It will
          soon be on it's way to Arkansas where I hope the
          kids will enjoy it as much as we did its creation.
          You can see it in the photo section (pic#74).
          Message 4 of 27 , Aug 21, 2005
            Pictures #78 and 79 in the photo section show the
            latest knife to appear. It has an ironwood
            handle and sterling silver guard, as well as a 1095
            steel blade and a 12" overall length. I have found out
            that the 3-D effect that changes the woods flamelike
            appearance as the sunlight hits the wood from different
            angles is called chatoyancy. It is caused by sap that
            creates a transparant layer, which lets the light
            reflect in different directions off the grain at the
            heart of the wood. It's beauty is remarkable. This
            seems to me to be analagous to how meditation creates
            a transparancy in us that lets our light shine forth.
            So, all I can say (I imagine for the 1st time ever on
            a "spiritual" forum) is "Let's be chatoyant!":-)
            Message 5 of 27 , Apr 8, 2006
              In the Photo section, Miscellaneous Album,
              pictures 81 and 82 are of the latest in the
              ongoing series of having knives appear from
              what was simply steel, brass, and wood. This
              was the first time I had used Box Elder Burl
              wood and it was the most friendly one I have
              ever worked with. It seemed to assume its shape
              easier than any other wood I've used. As I do
              various motions with my body it is like magic
              witnessing the knife make its appearance. Very
              thought stopping and just as transcendant as
              many of the meditation techniques I've done.
              And as usual, the "doing" requires a great degree
              of being present in the moment, or one can easily
              end up with fewer fingers and appendages.
              Message 6 of 27 , Sep 24, 2006
                There is a new picture (#9) in the Photo
                section titled Zen and the Art of Knifemaking.
                It shows 10 blades ready to be heat treated,
                and then to have guards and handles put on
                them. It has taken months to get them to be
                as they now are from their original state of
                solid steel bars. From the time the first one
                was finished to the time the last one was
                done, I found many things about knifemaking
                that were unknown to me at the start. This
                led me to redoing the way that the first one
                was constructed, and now it should be very
                much more likely to last years longer in heavy
                use than it would have before. This came only
                by persevering in my quest to gain greater
                proficiency in this craft. This was very
                similar to the way I see people develop in
                their meditation practice. At first we may have
                little knowledge of how, where, and when to do
                what. But soon we get some hold on the "how-to",
                and all the rest, and have some experiences that
                bring us to greater understanding, and eventually
                this leads us to be able to fine tune our practice.
                And we become more functional for years after. And
                so, I suggest that you persevere in this most
                beneficial craft.
              • corkey galloway

                  Message 8 of 27 , Oct 13, 2006
                    There are 2 new pictures in the Photo
                    section titled Zen and the Art of
                    Knifemaking (#10 and 11) that are of
                    the latest knife to appear. This one
                    is a Japanese style kitchen knife that
                    Bette, my wife, will be using to cut
                    up veggies. It's the 1st one that I have
                    made for a specific use and the first
                    that I have made for her, so I had
                    a very definite intention when I started
                    its construction.
                    I had a nice bar of damascus steel to use
                    and also a beautiful block of Ironwood to
                    use for the handle. Motivated by wanting
                    to do something good enough for Bette,
                    who always has done everything for me
                    so very well, and also wanting to do
                    justice to the fine materials I had
                    to work with, I witnessed myself having
                    a special feeling as I went about the
                    different steps that are involved in knife
                    making. I would describe this as "having an
                    aim" more than simply desiring something.
                    This aim, the intention, the gratitude for
                    the opportunity to (in a very small way)
                    "repay" Bette, gave my actions an energy that
                    carried with it an easier than usual flow
                    that brought this knife to birth without
                    "me" seeming to be there with the usual
                    inner chatter that I witness so often as
                    I try to "do" things. No judging, no ongoing
                    commentary, just movements with a "dedication"
                    that was palpable. I had no feeling at all that
                    "I" was doing anything. Then, a knife was there.
                    It's 11 1/2" long, 2 1/4" wide, and has a brass
                    and nickle silver mosaic pin and a nickle silver
                    bolster. The 6 1/2" blade has a hollow grind and
                    is very thin and sharp. I don't know if there is
                    any of me in this knife, but I'm sure there is a
                    lot of Bette and lots of gratitude too.
                  • kurt_kurosawa
                    Message 9 of 27 , Nov 5, 2006
                      I sent a post but I don't know where (your account is set up not to
                      receive e-mail), so at the risk of repeating myself and generally
                      being totally off-topic:

                      - About the smell, it pays to wear a respirator. The particulates in
                      the air can be themselves harmful, little sharp shards of steel that
                      you don't want moving and grooving in your lungs when you cough.
                      Then there's the chemical aspect, e.g. cocobolo is toxic and other
                      natural materials may be allergens. And since you're working with
                      bone from (presumably) overseas, it would be hard to completely
                      discount the possibility of inhaling microorganisms/spores.

                      - I see you're using 1095, a very good steel, but if you're getting
                      a little "boomerang" in the quench, you might want to give O-1 a
                      stab (so to speak). I love O-1, so forgiving and can be
                      differentially drawn. For the quench, get a coffee can full of auto
                      tranny fluid, heat it to 125 F (by sticking a bar of hot steel and a
                      candy thermometer in it).

                      - 5160 is cheaper; it's (as the name says) nominally 0.60% carbon
                      but it also has 0.2% silicon and 0.7% chromium. A little tougher and
                      can be hardened up near the 60s. I'm in the Tidewater Virginia area
                      and if you live nearby (you don't want to pay shipping) I have a few
                      pounds (maybe something like 30 feet in 3 or 3.5 foot lengths) of
                      1/4 x 1" 5160 I can give you free.

                      Best, Kurt

                      PS my favorite meditational incense is sweet coal smoke, see if the
                      library has books by Alexander Weygers, he explains how to make your
                      own forge from a coffee can and anvil from a piece of railroad
                      track, and gives instruction on beating hot steel.
                      Message 10 of 27 , Nov 5, 2006
                        Yo Kurt,
                        Thanks for all the great advise. I think you have
                        well demonstrated one of the most surprising
                        things I have found out about in the past 2 years,
                        and that is that the community of knifemakers is
                        one of the most generous in freely sharing their
                        knowledge, and more so than virtually any other group
                        I have been involved with. And unfortunately, that
                        includes many groups who are supposedly dedicated
                        to seeking "Truth". But, you have also found one of
                        the truly selfless people in the...shall we call it
                        ... "Enlightenment Community", and that is Sandeep.
                        For much more of his sharing, check out his excellent
                        web site: http://www.the-covenant.net/
                        Now for some Zen and the Art of Knifemaking talk:
                        I have just posted the latest knife that has brought
                        together steel, wood, and brass to produce a tool that
                        should last for much longer than the physical human
                        body that was involved in its arising. It can be seen
                        in photo's #13 and 14. 1095 steel again for the 12 3/4"
                        blade and 17 1/2" total length. Much like a regular
                        practice of meditation fills one up with a stable
                        spiritual energy, the beautiful buckeye burl wood has
                        been through a process called stabilization that has
                        strenghtened it and will keep it from warping and
                        losing its functional ability for years to come. It's
                        hand formed brass guard will protect the users hands
                        just as faith and prayer are said to do. I do intend
                        to use other types of steel in the future as it is my
                        nature to want to experiment with many ways to do the
                        same thing (as can be seen by the dozens of different
                        meditation techniques on our web site, Meditation Station
                        http://www.meditationsociety.com ). And if I lived closer
                        I would certainly take you up on your kind offer of steel,
                        but I live in the Lancaster area, just outside Philly.
                        As for using proper respiratory safety equiptment, you are
                        100% correct. And I do. Just as we should have an environment
                        that is free from negative stressors when we meditate,
                        every place we are in should be free from toxicity.
                        It was after the fact that I found my work area
                        filled with the (potentially dangerous) stink
                        of odors that grinding bone had released. And that was
                        with using an air cleansing machine! And just like it may take
                        quite a while for the negative mental, emotional and physical
                        things we begin with to be cleansed with our meditative
                        practice, it took several days of keeping the doors open
                        and the air filtering going to get the air clean again.
                        In any event, I've rattled on perhaps too much.
                        Thanks again for sharing.

                        snip

                        Message 11 of 27 , Dec 21, 2006
                          The photo section now has 2 new pictures
                          in the Zen and the Art of Knifemaking
                          albums (pics 15 and 16). The first is
                          a 12 1/2" long maple burl handled knife
                          with a brass guard and a 1095 steel blade.
                          The second is 19 3/4" long and has a
                          beadblasted 1095 steel blade, and a brass
                          and steel guard with a buckeye burl handle.
                          I again found the focusing that takes place
                          during the construction process brings about
                          an excellent "high". Unlike tossing around
                          concepts and words to make some point, you
                          must be very focused and one-pointed when
                          working with tools, machines, and sharp things,
                          or some of the points you make can quickly end
                          up in you. And there is no doubt that the more
                          one practices, the better one gets at IT.

                          When done working on any specific craft or task,
                          the intense inner and outer focus that was idealy
                          used during the creative process need not end just
                          because you leave your workshop, as the whole world is
                          your real working environment, and perfect attention in
                          every moment is always appropriate...and a great "high".
                          Message 12 of 27 , May 29 10:26 PM
                            In the Photos section, in the Zen and
                            the Art of Knifemaking album, pictures
                            29, 30, 31, 32, and 33 show a few of the
                            newest knives to appear. They once were
                            just steel, brass, nickle-silver, and
                            exotic woods, and now they are tools that
                            can be expected to last far longer than
                            the collection of atomic and pre-atomic
                            materials that held them and attended
                            to their arrival. "I" did not will them into
                            existence or do much else but serve as
                            a vehicle of their transport from one form
                            to another. It's also a time when different
                            labels can be attached to them, but will
                            that in any way help or prevent their use?
                            Of course, it can be said and seen by some
                            that originally they were just other
                            forms of atomic and pre-atomic material
                            that Mother Earth, or who/whatever caused
                            to come together. And now can't we say if
                            not see that that has again happened? Can
                            I/we really say in honesty "I did that!"?
                            The same collection of flesh and bones and
                            emotion and mentation producing material
                            can be pointed to in one way as "doing", but in reality
                            aren't thoughts, emotions, and bodily activity
                            just things that happen to the neurology of
                            the physical body that we reside in for a given
                            moment. And when that body is asleep, doesn't
                            mental, emotional, and physical activity cease
                            occurring? Your neuro-system is on Pause. But
                            the Earth isn't, and the Solar System isn't,
                            and the Milky Way Galaxy isn't, and our local
                            Galactic Cluster isn't, and our Super Galactic Cluster
                            isn't, and this and other universes aren't on Pause.
                            And don't their action and interaction "count"?
                            And yet we claim to be able to make things happen!
                            Even if we are awake, can we assert for sure
                            that we won't trip on our face when we get up from
                            reading this? And yet we claim we have "will".
                            And "self-control". And "can do". Isn't that hilarious!
                            But there is one thing we can do and that is to
                            witness our life as it takes place. We have been
                            given this freedom, but it is the rare wo/man that
                            takes advantage of this great Grace. And most just
                            look out of the 5 sense box they are stuck in and
                            judge, compare and comment on what flows by, rehashing
                            the past and fantasizing about the future, and never
                            look within to the infinite and eternal that is
                            ever present and available. And here's where
                            meditation comes in. There is no better way to cease the
                            filling up our our box with chatter and litter. And
                            when the box is empty of trash, it can and will fill
                            with the beauty of the universe. The gift that humans
                            have been given is the freedom to ascend and transcend
                            the trap that each sense and trying to make sense
                            brings about. When we just (as St John said) "Let IT Be",
                            and do no-thing, then we're really doing something.
                            And sometimes what happens is pretty sharp!
                            Message 13 of 27 , Nov 9, 2007
                              Since I last posted pictures of the
                              knives that I had a hand (actually 2
                              hands) in making, there have been
                              a dozen more that have appeared.
                              They can be seen in pictures #84 to 112 at:
                              http://tinyurl.com/54ma6
                              I have no real idea how they came to be
                              a part of this dream that pretends to be
                              "my life", but when I look around, they
                              seem solidly present. I have really grown
                              to appreciate the fine beauty of their
                              wood handles and the form they have taken
                              in a way that is similar to the way I
                              appreciate more traditional art work.
                              Prior to taking part in this craft,
                              knives were just knives and wood was
                              just wood to me. I am now in awe
                              of the amazing textures and designs
                              that are in the woods and acknowledge
                              the artist who created them as a master.
                              But as a witness to my inner chatter,
                              I see that the potential to criticize
                              this great display of divine beauty
                              is ever present. And I laugh, fascinated
                              by the moronic commentary that would
                              interrupt my contact with the gift I
                              have been given in my ability to
                              appreciate and "get off on" something
                              so exquisite. So I tell my chatterer
                              to be still and embrace the moment and
                              then let it go. And then smile with
                              the silence and emptiness that shouts
                              with joy as it fills with bliss. Now
                              that's some sharp knives!
                              Message 14 of 27 , May 6 7:48 PM
                                In the photo section, you will find additions
                                to the Zen and the Art of Knifemaking folder;
                                pictures 40, 41, 42, and 43. They show a
                                dagger that has a Damascus steel blade and an
                                Ironwood handle. I think you may agree with the
                                general feeling among knife makers that Ironwood
                                is the most beautiful wood, and Damascus is the
                                most beautiful type of steel. They both are
                                fine examples of why I think that nature provides
                                the most beautiful art works. While witnessing
                                the creation of this knife I was aware that what
                                needed to be done by my hands and eyes would be
                                conflicted if I let my emotions get involved, and
                                similarly I saw that mental chattering would be
                                distractive and not helpful. Once a method has
                                been programmed into our body and brain, it is best
                                to just let it happen. I'm always humbled when I
                                see the end result and always get further unable
                                to deny the reality that all that happens is "Thy
                                will be done" in action. And, that if we in our
                                arrogance think that we can "do" anything, it is
                                very common for the universe to demonstrate how
                                naive an attitude that is. For instance, can you
                                be 100% sure that you won't fall on your face when
                                you get up from reading this? Well, since I've rid
                                myself of thinking I can make knives and have
                                accepted that I can just be a tool for their coming
                                into being, I've fallen on my face much less often
                                when taking part in the knifemaking process. And I've
                                found that as St Martha says, "That's a good thing".
                              • Aideen McKenna
                                Message 15 of 27 , May 6 9:35 PM

                                  Actually, she says “That’s a Good Thing”.  You can hear the capital letters when she says it.

                                  Aideen

[...]

                                  Checked by AVG.

                                  Checked by AVG.

                                  Message 16 of 27 , May 7 5:34 AM
                                    "Aideen McKenna" <aideenmck@...> wrote:

                                    > Actually, she says "That's a Good Thing". You can hear the capital
                                    letters
                                    > when she says it.
                                    >
                                    > Aideen

                                    Yo Aideen,
                                    You're right - when she speaks, it's often in Caps.
                                    A small coincidence is that when my wife read the
                                    post she said that she tought all of the "Thy
                                    will be done" quote should be in caps. I guess
                                    all these Higher Power types command special attention!
                                    Knifemaking

                                    > In the photo section, you will find additions
                                    > to the Zen and the Art of Knifemaking folder;
                                    > pictures 40, 41, 42, and 43. They show a
                                    > dagger that has a Damascus steel blade and an
                                    > Ironwood handle. I think you may agree with the
                                    > general feeling among knife makers that Ironwood
                                    > is the most beautiful wood, and Damascus is the
                                    > most beautiful type of steel. They both are
                                    > fine examples of why I think that nature provides
                                    > the most beautiful art works. While witnessing
                                    > the creation of this knife I was aware that what
                                    > needed to be done by my hands and eyes would be
                                    > conflicted if I let my emotions get involved, and
                                    > similarly I saw that mental chattering would be
                                    > distractive and not helpful. Once a method has
                                    > been programmed into our body and brain, it is best
                                    > to just let it happen. I'm always humbled when I
                                    > see the end result and always get further unable
                                    > to deny the reality that all that happens is "Thy
                                    > will be done" in action. And, that if we in our
                                    > arrogance think that we can "do" anything, it is
                                    > very common for the universe to demonstrate how
                                    > naive an attitude that is. For instance, can you
                                    > be 100% sure that you won't fall on your face when
                                    > you get up from reading this? Well, since I've rid
                                    > myself of thinking I can make knives and have
                                    > accepted that I can just be a tool for their coming
                                    > into being, I've fallen on my face much less often
                                    > when taking part in the knifemaking process. And I've
                                    > found that as St Martha says, "That's a good thing".
                                    > Peace and blessings,
                                    > Bob

                                    > Checked by AVG.
                                    5/06/08
                                    > 5:17 PM

                                    > Checked by AVG.
                                    5/06/08

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Aug 11, 2008
                                      In the photo section, in the folder "Zen
                                      and the Art of Knifemaking", you will
                                      find a new knife that features Mammoth
                                      tooth handles. As I was witnessing the
                                      assembly of this knife taking place,
                                      there was a unique feeling of an ancient
                                      connection present. The obviousness of
                                      handling a 30,000 year old object and
                                      being extra careful to not mess it up
                                      also brought about a special awareness
                                      that is hard to label, but can perhaps be
                                      represented by saying that the usual "just
                                      witnessing and letting flow whatever may flow"
                                      attitude had an extra effortless effort
                                      energy added to it. I just saw an episode
                                      of "American Dad" last night where the Dad
                                      had souped up his car so he could drag
                                      race with it (to impress his wife), and at one
                                      point he hit a switch that ignited a nitro burst
                                      that made the car blast off extra quickly.
                                      And that's sort of how I felt during this
                                      particular knife making session. It really
                                      seemed to touch the semi-eternal nature of
                                      Mother Earth. I can't wait to see what using
                                      meteorite will feel like!
                                      The pics are # 45 and 46. And to see many
                                      more Zen and the Art of Knifemaking blades:
                                      http://www.bobroseknives.com
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Sep 25, 2009
                                        Once again I'll be displaying my knives,
                                        and like what seems like just very few knife
                                        makers do, talking about meditation. The show
                                        is in Easton PA and will be held Sat and
                                        Sun from 9 to 5. I expect to only be there
                                        for Sat as there is an Eagles game Sunday and
                                        I expect to be back home for it. After all,
                                        I do try not to miss religious events, and
                                        sometimes there are only 16 of them a year.

                                        After the show we'll probably be going out to dinner
                                        with several friends, so if you'll be in the area
                                        please stop in and say "High!" and maybe join the
                                        probably somewhat transcendental fun.

                                        PS: You can see the knives at:
                                        http://www.bobroseknives.com
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Sep 26, 2009

                                          > Once again I'll be displaying my knives,
                                          > and like what seems like just very few knife
                                          > makers do, talking about meditation. The show
                                          > is in Easton PA and will be held Sat and
                                          > Sun from 9 to 5. I expect to only be there
                                          > for Sat as there is an Eagles game Sunday and
                                          > I expect to be back home for it. After all,
                                          > I do try not to miss religious events, and
                                          > sometimes there are only 16 of them a year.
                                          >
                                          > After the show we'll probably be going out to dinner
                                          > with several friends, so if you'll be in the area
                                          > please stop in and say "High!" and maybe join the
                                          > probably somewhat transcendental fun.
                                          >
                                          > Peace and blessings,
                                          > Bob
                                          > PS: You can see the knives at:
                                          > http://www.bobroseknives.com

                                          Well, we just got back from the show and it
                                          was very pleasant, fun and interesting. Nice
                                          people, good conversation, lots of amazing
                                          knives by some of the most talented makers
                                          in the world. As is available in every moment,
                                          lots of new in-sights and out-sights. I also
                                          was pretty surprised to find right around the
                                          corner quite a coincidence. There was the Belyea
                                          Electric Supply Company, and just as Papajeff
                                          deals with Transformation, they specialize
                                          in Transformers. Yes, this incarnation is always
                                          at least semi-interesting!
                                          Peace and blesings,
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Nov 20, 2009
                                            The 2 latest knives that have appeared have
                                            very ancient handle materials. One is from
                                            mammoth tooth and is between 15,000 and
                                            30,000 years old. The other is fossil coral
                                            and is between 1.8 million and 230 million
                                            years old.
                                            As I worked with them,their antiquity radiated as
                                            a sensation beyond just their appearance. Just as
                                            when you enter a church or are at a holy place,
                                            or in the company of a holy being, saint or
                                            newborn, there was a feeling that was far from
                                            the same old same old. I felt a connection to the
                                            Earth and a unity with all life that has been and
                                            is and will be her life's work. Humility and reverence
                                            are the closest adjectives to describe the mood
                                            that flew through, and still remains. And now the
                                            beauty that for some reason was hidden within their
                                            environments is now visible and to me is a
                                            demonstration of the gifts of love from a sentient
                                            universe that are available within and without.
                                            I consider it a blessing to be able to spend moments
                                            in the company of such simple yet so fantastic
                                            creations.
                                            PS: I am posting pictures of them in the Photo section
                                            in the Zen and the Art of Knifemaking album.
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Dec 9, 2011
                                              This weekend I'll be displaying my knives
                                              http://www.bobroseknives.com
                                              at the Harrisburg PA Gun Show.
                                              If you feel like sharing meditation concepts,
                                              methods and experiences, I'll be glad to
                                              spend time with you. This show is really unique
                                              even for weapon-addicts. It's the only place I
                                              know of where they not only sell weapons and
                                              ammo, but where you can also buy and drink beer.
                                              Talk about non-conduscive to meditation venues!
                                              But in reality, it's a perfect place to put into
                                              practice your non-distractability, keeping
                                              calm in all situations, and awareness to the test.
                                              So stop by and say hello. These days, it's actually
                                              a safer environment than some college campuses, and
                                              we may even find it to be a good opportunity to
                                              evolve in consciousness.

                                              Visitor Information
                                              LOCATION
                                              The show will be held in the Pennsylvania Farm Show Complex & Expo Center, North Cameron and Maclay Streets, Harrisburg, PA.

                                              DIRECTIONS

                                              TRAVELING WEST ON THE PENNSYLVANIA TURNPIKE:
                                              Take Exit 247. Travel north on PA-283, which merges with I-83. Follow I-83 North and merge with I-81 South. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street off I-81. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                                              TRAVELING EAST ON PENNSYLVANIA TURNPIKE:
                                              Take Exit 236. Travel north on Route 15 to 581 West. Travel west on 581 and merge onto I-81 North. Follow I-81 North across the Susquehanna River, and then take Exit 67 for Cameron Street off I-81. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                                              FROM THE HARRISBURG INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT:
                                              Head north on 441 to 283 North. Travel north on PA-283, which merges with I-83. Follow I-83 North and merge with I-81 South. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street off I-81. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                                              FROM THE WEST SHORE/CARLISLE:
                                              Take I-81 North to Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                                              FROM DOWNTOWN HARRISBURG:
                                              Take Second Street north to the 2100 block and turn right onto Maclay Street. Follow Maclay Street east across the railroad bridge to the traffic light at the Farm Show Building. Turn left onto Cameron Street and travel north. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                                              FROM THE NORTH:
                                              Take 11/15 South following the Susquehanna River to I-81. Follow I-81 North across the river and take Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                                              FROM THE UPPER DAUPHIN AREA:
                                              Take Route 147 South or Route 225 South to Route 322 (River Relief Route). Route 322 becomes Cameron Street after crossing over I-81. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                                              FROM HERSHEY:
                                              Take Route 322 West to I-83 North and merge with I-81 South. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                                              FROM LANCASTER:
                                              Take 283 North towards Harrisburg to I-83 North and merge with I-81 South. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                                              FROM YORK:
                                              Take I-83 North across the Susquehanna River. Follow I-83 North and merge with I-81 South. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                                              FROM LEBANON:
                                              Take I-81 South towards Harrisburg. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                                              FROM PROGRESS AVE EXIT OFF 81N:
                                              Take Exit 69. Merge right with Progress Avenue Traffic. Turn right onto Elmerton Avenue at traffic light. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                                              FROM PROGRESS AVE EXIT OFF 81S:
                                              Take Exit 69. Turn right at traffic light onto Progress Avenue. At second traffic light turn right onto Elmerton Avenue. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.
                                              Message 22 of 27 , May 4 5:30 PM
                                                Once again, I'll be displaying my knives at a gun
                                                show this weekend. It's at the Philly Convention Center
                                                in Oaks PA. Here's the URL for info.
                                                http://www.eaglearms.com/Eaglearmsproductionfullpage.html
                                                The last show we were at was one of the "highest" ones we've
                                                attended. We had the pleasure of sharing meditation concepts
                                                and techniques with several of our members who were there,
                                                and it was a very nice experiential demo of transcending
                                                what would normally be a semi-insane environment. Fun too!

                                                One of the surprises was when we got to interact with a
                                                great 11 year old kid who's father is one of the real
                                                masters of martial arts. This guy is so tough he wears
                                                a kilt to a gun show and nobody would dream of making fun
                                                of him. And yet he has a wisdom and righteousness that is
                                                all too rare. Glad to say that his son seems to be going
                                                right along the same path.

                                                Anyway, if you're in the area, please stop by and say hello.
                                                If you'd like to see some of the newest knives I've made,
                                                and that will be on display, they're at the bottom of the
                                                web page here: http://www.bobroseknives.com

                                                Message 23 of 27 , Sep 7, 2012
                                                  I'll be displaying my knives this Sat and Sun at
                                                  the gun show at the Harrisburg PA Farm Show Complex and
                                                  Expo Center 2300 North Cameron Street Harrisburg, PA 17110
                                                  I've enjoyed meeting and sharing time and experiences
                                                  with several of our members there in past shows and
                                                  look forward to that doing this again. Semi-interesting
                                                  venue - 800 tables of weapons and ammo... and they
                                                  serve beer!?!?!?
                                                  Relative to knife-making, I've been using amazing new materials
                                                  for the handles on my most recent knives and wonder at
                                                  the beauty of these man-made high-tech products.
                                                  They're so nice that one may not even notice the
                                                  hardly expert level my knife skills demonstrate. It's
                                                  kind of analogous to how having a loving personality can
                                                  make you attractive even if visually you're no Brad
                                                  or Angelina. These knives can be seen at the bottom of
                                                  my knife site at: http://www.bobroseknives.com
                                                  Anyway, if you do come, please don't wear some other
                                                  teams shirts than the Eagles. You know that this could
                                                  become a distraction from sharing meditation concepts
                                                  and methods as I might go off on rants about football:)
                                                  Hope to see you soon!
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Sep 9, 2012
                                                    OK, by semi-popular request, here's a brief report of the
                                                    gun show. One of the most interesting things was that a forum
                                                    member and a friend of his have started to make knives
                                                    and seemingly are walking a similar path as I am relative
                                                    to finding it at times to precede interesting, pleasant, and
                                                    unusually informative meditative experiences...
                                                    IE: They report entering a focus of attention so intense and
                                                    yet so effortless that a shift in consciousness takes place
                                                    that they sort of defined as a transcendent level of non-dual
                                                    attention where one's individual identity melts away and
                                                    a new awakening reveals an infinite unification with what
                                                    Gurdjieff labeled "All and Everything". In any event, they
                                                    still have all their fingers and other body parts, and that
                                                    itself is a great result of clear meditative focus while
                                                    using very powerful and potentially dangerous power tools.
                                                    BTW, as a bonus, their knives looked very good and
                                                    should prove highly functional. And just like me they report
                                                    being surprised at having nice knives in their hands appear
                                                    almost magically when the sparks, smoke, smells, sounds and
                                                    heat subside.
                                                    Anyway, thanks to those who came out and shared their
                                                    wisdom and humor. Much appreciated!

                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Dec 14, 2012
                                                      Once again, I'll be displaying my knives and sharing
                                                      meditation concepts and techniques (the usual combination
                                                      for a meditation teacher:) at the Philly Gun Show in Oaks PA
                                                      this weekend, Friday Dec 14 from 4PM to 8PM, Sat 9AM to 5PM, and
                                                      Sun 9AM to 4PM. Here's where you can get info and a discount coupon:
                                                      http://www.eaglearmsgunshows.com/oaks-gun-show-philadelphia-expo-center.html
                                                      There will be about 1,000 tables full of weapons, ammo, and just
                                                      about anything you can think of that brings about violence and
                                                      destruction, as well as thousands of people who are anxious to buy
                                                      these items. And there will also be my table where consciousness
                                                      evolving methods will be shared (as well as complaining about the
                                                      Eagles). Many of the knives I have made will be available and with
                                                      the holidays coming, I expect lots of activity that interrupts our
                                                      "high" conversations. But this is all part of what life is about...
                                                      and maintaining a meditative mode in active as well as in passive situations is what a meditative practice should include. And when
                                                      someone approaches you carrying a machine gun, and has ammo around
                                                      their neck, to discus how best to use a certain knife, or whatever else is making their mind chatter, it's certainly an excellent opportunity to witness your own chatter, and to apply Self
                                                      control and maintain your serenity, or to see just when and
                                                      how you lose it (which might be a more valuable benefit).
                                                      So it is actually an excellent environment for learning about and experiencing meditation in real life. Hope to see you there!
                                                      BTW, here's where you can see my knives:
                                                      http://www.bobroseknives.com
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Dec 16, 2012
                                                        Well, this weekend I spent displaying knives I've made at
                                                        the Philly Gun Show. 1200 tables full of weapons and their
                                                        accoutrements and thousands of people there to buy them.
                                                        Much discussion about the duality of "guns don't kill people,
                                                        people do" and "if there weren't guns available, there wouldn't
                                                        be so many killings" Of course there were local TV crews there filming the goings on and promising to be "fair" in their
                                                        reporting as they focused the cameras on assault rifles and
                                                        other semi and full automatic weapons. This will be just a
                                                        small part of the ongoing and now top news discussion.

                                                        In between actually selling some knives, I spent time
                                                        discussing meditation with people and even conducted some
                                                        mindfulness exercises semi-maintaining a Witnessing
                                                        perspective on whatever was flowing by moment to (what seemed
                                                        like) another moment. And as is common when in a wordless
                                                        meditative mode, words appear that (right or wrong) point to
                                                        "an answer", and here are some that flowed by...

                                                        I'm guessing that just as there are hundreds of millions of
                                                        words available to us, and they don't seem to solve anything,
                                                        there being hundreds of millions of guns and rifles right now
                                                        in the USA, and they aren't solving anything either, maybe
                                                        just being conscious is the only real "problem solver".
                                                        As Gurdjieff put it...
                                                        "Do not be affected by externals. In themselves they are
                                                        harmless; it is we who allow ourselves to be hurt by them."

                                                        (the above is a para-phrase of a post on the Gene's Gulag
                                                        forum)