Re: Two Types of Meditation: Stabilizing and Analytical

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 16, 2004
      About why this Concept of Meditation was posted.....
      At least every other month, we have some genius who emails us telling
      us that we should take this off of our site, because they understand
      Einstein and they insist that the E=Mc2 thing doesn't refer
      to "everything in the universe being relative". Well, this happened
      again this AM, and as usual, I laughed at the "missing the forrest
      for the trees" and appreciated again the obviousness of how our so-
      called intellect can get our inner chatterer chattering so much that
      we miss an opportunity to "get" a pointing to something that we might
      benefit from. In any event, for many, I'm confident that what is
      shared in this article can clear up some ???'s and will turn them
      into !!!'s ... and that's what we are all about.

      <no_reply@y...> wrote:

> [...]
      > action over and over like yantra (the continual gazing at an
      object,
      > ie: a picture or statue of a deity, the symbol for OM, a flame,
      > etc.). The other type of meditation is Analytical. In this form,
      the
      > practitioner doesn't simply repeat a word over and over or look at
      > picture repeatedly. The meditator would try to understand
      everything
      > they know or everything that can be known about the object of their
      > attention. As an example of the difference between a stabilizing
      and
      > an analytical meditation, let's use the word peace. You could
      repeat
      > peace, peace, peace, ad infinitum and eventually go deeper and
      deeper
      > into a state of quietude that could be described as Peace. This is
      > very nice but perhaps might not be fulfilling relative to an
      increase
      > in understanding about peace. This is where analytical meditation
      > might bring a benefit. The meditator who is trained in analytical
      > methodology might also start by repeating the word peace, but once
      > firmly concentrated on it would then proceed to analyzing
      everything
      > they knew about peace. They might think about the things that bring
      > them peace like swimming, or eating, or maybe holding a baby. They
      > may also think about the things that make them lose their peace
      like
      > their boss, or unfulfilled desires, or driving in heavy traffic. In
      > theory, eventually, if they kept at it, they would connect
      everything
      > in the universe, because everything is in some way connected with
      > peace (Einstein's' theory of relativity - all things are relative
      > everything else). But what actually happens is that the object of
      > your meditation starts to present itself to you and you can sit
      back
      > in your minds-eye and simply witness your Higher Mind reveal every
      > aspect of peace to you. Your inner Witness, who is your Real Self,
      is
      > always receiving, knowing, and at one with everything and once we
      > remove the false concept that we are different (a body, a mind, an
      > emotion, even a separate soul) from it, we will know and be at one
      > with everything. Our consciousness awakens to its real natural of
      > infinite, eternal Peace, Love, Knowledge, and Bliss, and we live
      > happily ever after. This is the state known as Contemplation. So,
      > summarize, you start by Concentrating, then Meditate by the
      > analytical method, and then this segues into Contemplation. It is
      > then when all the ???'s turn into !!!.The Tibetans Buddhists
      consider
      > analytical meditation techniques to be superior to the stabilizing.
      > For you, now, it may be possible that this may bring about the
    • Jeff Belyea
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 16, 2004
        Thanks, Bob -

        When I first came across the "Yantra" meditation,
        I had just opened an office, as part of an holistic
        health center (way back in 1981). My focus was
        on stress, weight control, smoking cessation,
        and sports improvement - using meditation/hypnosis/
        visualization/relaxation techniques.

        While waiting for a client one afternoon, I opened
        the Yantra book and spent about 20 minutes looking
        at a geometric design of yellow and purple with
        a red center. When the client came in I closed the book.

        On a guided meditation, the client was asked
        to see herself walking along a path in a field
        and finding a tree stump to sit on. Then she
        told that she would see a flower right across
        from where she sat down, and she was
        asked to focus on the flower while I continued
        to talk to her achieving her specific goal.

        Near the close of the session, I asked her
        to describe the flower she had seen. She
        precisely described the colors and arrangement
        of the Yantra I had meditated upon while
        waiting for her. I was a little startled.

        The following day, again while waiting for
        a client, I did different Yantra meditation.
        Hoping to dismiss the "coincidence" of
        the day before, I asked this clilent, who
        wanted to quit smoking, to also see a
        flower as part of his guided meditation.

        You guessed it....he also described the
        same colors and pattern of the Yantra I
        had seen earlier. This time it kind of
        freaked me out.

        I've never tried it again. But it gives me
        pause before blithely denying the
        possibility of "transmission" in the guru/
        student relationship.

        medit8ionsociety <no_reply@y...> wrote:

> [...]
        > your meditation starts to present itself to you and you can sit
        back
        > in your minds-eye and simply witness your Higher Mind reveal
        every
        > aspect of peace to you. Your inner Witness, who is your Real
        Self, is
        > always receiving, knowing, and at one with everything and once
        we
        > remove the false concept that we are different (a body, a mind,
        an
        > emotion, even a separate soul) from it, we will know and be at
        one
        > with everything. Our consciousness awakens to its real natural
        of
        > infinite, eternal Peace, Love, Knowledge, and Bliss, and we live
        > happily ever after. This is the state known as Contemplation.
        So, to
        > summarize, you start by Concentrating, then Meditate by the
        > analytical method, and then this segues into Contemplation. It
        is
        > then when all the ???'s turn into !!!.The Tibetans Buddhists
        consider
        > analytical meditation techniques to be superior to the
        stabilizing.
        > For you, now, it may be possible that this may bring about the
        result
        > you seek.
      • Nina
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 18, 2004
          <no_reply@y...> wrote:

          > The Tibetans Buddhists consider
          > analytical meditation techniques to
          > be superior to the stabilizing.

          That's an interesting article, Bob.
          Something came to mind while reading
          that article. Are these two styles of
          meditation so different, afterall?
          Could it be that the analytical
          meditation, in how it repeatedly
          addresses the concept of 'peace'
          with focus and determination, is
          actually... stabilizing?

          It's an interesting piece for me,
          as I've been wondering at the apparent
          gap between the practice of hatha yoga
          by the intuitive (what might be termed
          stabilizing) and analytical streams.
          An example of the intuitive stream
          might be Diane Long's practice, which
          she originally cultivated by working
          closely with Vanda Scaravelli. An example
          of the analytical stream might be yoga
          as practiced by Iyengar, or his students.
          Are they so different?

          I can see the differences and the
          similarities. Probably, the differences
          arise from focus, and what is plucked
          out of 'all the possibilities' as the
          piece to be shared. It is a matter of
          'interest', which has evolved into a
          matter of 'importance'. The moment you
          open your mouth to teach something, you
          capture it, bound it, fix it... and you
          lose site of 'it' as a fluid 'thing'
          at the same time! Though neither necessarily
          represent (so sadly! arumph!)
          the whole picture, they both retain a
          connection to that whole picture... and
          presumably, it would be possible to access
          that whole picture by jumping on the tail
          of either system and climbing that tail
          past the head of that system.

          Nina
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 29, 2012
            From ur web site, Meditation Station
            http://www.meditationsociety.com/twotypes.html

            Tibetan Buddhism speaks of two different types of
            meditation. One is Stabilizing and could be characterized
            by a type of "mindless" repetition of a word or phrase
            (mantra/japa) or by simply doing an action over and over
            like yantra (the continual gazing at an object,
            ie: a picture or statue of a deity, the symbol for OM,
            a flame, etc.). The other type of meditation is Analytical.
            In this form, the practitioner doesn't simply repeat a
            word over and over or look at a picture repeatedly.
[...]

            of relativity - all things are relative to everything else).
            But what actually happens is that the object of your
            meditation starts to present itself to you and you can
            sit back in your minds-eye and simply witness your Higher
            Mind reveal every aspect of peace to you.

            Your inner Witness, who is your Real Self, is always
            receiving, knowing, and at one with everything and once
            we remove the false concept that we are different (a body,
            a mind, an emotion, even a separate soul) from it, we will
            know and be at one with everything. Our consciousness
            awakens to its real natural of infinite, eternal Peace, Love, Knowledge, and Bliss, and we live happily ever after.
            This is the state known as Contemplation.

            So, to summarize, you start by Concentrating, then Meditate
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 17, 2015
              • Tibetan Buddhism speaks of two different types of meditation. One is Stabilizing and could be characterized by a type of "mindless" repetition of a word or phrase (mantra/japa) or by simply doing an action over and over like yantra (the continual gazing at an object, ie: a picture or statue of a deity, the symbol for OM, a flame, etc.). The other type of meditation is Analytical. In this form, the practitioner doesn’t simply repeat a word over and over or look at a picture repeatedly. The meditator would try to understand everything they know or everything that can be known about the object of their attention.
[...]

              • In theory, eventually, if they kept at it, they would connect everything in the universe, because everything is in some way connected with peace (Einstein’s’ theory of relativity - in a way, all things are relative to everything else). But what actually happens is that the object of your meditation starts to present itself to you and you can sit back in your minds-eye and simply witness your Higher Mind reveal every aspect of peace to you.

              • Your inner Witness, who is your Real Self, is always receiving, knowing, and at one with everything and once we remove the false concept that we are different (a body, a mind, an emotion, even a separate soul) from it, we will know and be at one with everything. Our consciousness awakens to its real natural of infinite, eternal Peace, Love, Knowledge, and Bliss, and we live happily ever after. This is the state known as Contemplation.

              • So, to summarize, you start by Concentrating, then Meditate by the analytical method, and then this segues into Contemplation. It is then when all the ???’s turn into !!!.