Two Types of Meditation: Stabilizing and Analytical

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 16, 2004
      From the Concepts of Meditation section of our web site, Meditation
      Station http://www.meditationsociety.com

      Two Types of Meditation: Stabilizing and Analytical

      Tibetan Buddhism speaks of two different types of meditation. One is
      Stabilizing and could be characterized by a type of "mindless"
      repetition of a word or phrase (mantra/japa) or by simply doing an
      action over and over like yantra (the continual gazing at an object,
      ie: a picture or statue of a deity, the symbol for OM, a flame,
      etc.). The other type of meditation is Analytical. In this form, the
      practitioner doesn't simply repeat a word over and over or look at a
      picture repeatedly. The meditator would try to understand everything
      they know or everything that can be known about the object of their
      attention. As an example of the difference between a stabilizing and
      an analytical meditation, let's use the word peace. You could repeat
      peace, peace, peace, ad infinitum and eventually go deeper and deeper
      into a state of quietude that could be described as Peace. This is
      very nice but perhaps might not be fulfilling relative to an increase
      in understanding about peace. This is where analytical meditation
      might bring a benefit. The meditator who is trained in analytical
      methodology might also start by repeating the word peace, but once
      firmly concentrated on it would then proceed to analyzing everything
      they knew about peace. They might think about the things that bring
      them peace like swimming, or eating, or maybe holding a baby. They
      may also think about the things that make them lose their peace like
      their boss, or unfulfilled desires, or driving in heavy traffic. In
      theory, eventually, if they kept at it, they would connect everything
      in the universe, because everything is in some way connected with
      peace (Einstein's' theory of relativity - all things are relative to
      everything else). But what actually happens is that the object of
      your meditation starts to present itself to you and you can sit back
      in your minds-eye and simply witness your Higher Mind reveal every
      aspect of peace to you. Your inner Witness, who is your Real Self, is
      always receiving, knowing, and at one with everything and once we
      remove the false concept that we are different (a body, a mind, an
      emotion, even a separate soul) from it, we will know and be at one
      with everything. Our consciousness awakens to its real natural of
      infinite, eternal Peace, Love, Knowledge, and Bliss, and we live
      happily ever after. This is the state known as Contemplation. So, to
      summarize, you start by Concentrating, then Meditate by the
      analytical method, and then this segues into Contemplation. It is
      then when all the ???'s turn into !!!.The Tibetans Buddhists consider
      analytical meditation techniques to be superior to the stabilizing.
      For you, now, it may be possible that this may bring about the result
      you seek.
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 16, 2004
        About why this Concept of Meditation was posted.....
        At least every other month, we have some genius who emails us telling
        us that we should take this off of our site, because they understand
        Einstein and they insist that the E=Mc2 thing doesn't refer
        to "everything in the universe being relative". Well, this happened
        again this AM, and as usual, I laughed at the "missing the forrest
        for the trees" and appreciated again the obviousness of how our so-
        called intellect can get our inner chatterer chattering so much that
        we miss an opportunity to "get" a pointing to something that we might
        benefit from. In any event, for many, I'm confident that what is
        shared in this article can clear up some ???'s and will turn them
        into !!!'s ... and that's what we are all about.

        <no_reply@y...> wrote:

> [...]
        > aspect of peace to you. Your inner Witness, who is your Real Self,
        is
        > always receiving, knowing, and at one with everything and once we
        > remove the false concept that we are different (a body, a mind, an
        > emotion, even a separate soul) from it, we will know and be at one
        > with everything. Our consciousness awakens to its real natural of
        > infinite, eternal Peace, Love, Knowledge, and Bliss, and we live
        > happily ever after. This is the state known as Contemplation. So,
        > summarize, you start by Concentrating, then Meditate by the
        > analytical method, and then this segues into Contemplation. It is
        > then when all the ???'s turn into !!!.The Tibetans Buddhists
        consider
        > analytical meditation techniques to be superior to the stabilizing.
        > For you, now, it may be possible that this may bring about the
      • Jeff Belyea
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 16, 2004
          Thanks, Bob -

          When I first came across the "Yantra" meditation,
          I had just opened an office, as part of an holistic
          health center (way back in 1981). My focus was
          on stress, weight control, smoking cessation,
          and sports improvement - using meditation/hypnosis/
          visualization/relaxation techniques.

          While waiting for a client one afternoon, I opened
          the Yantra book and spent about 20 minutes looking
          at a geometric design of yellow and purple with
          a red center. When the client came in I closed the book.

          On a guided meditation, the client was asked
          to see herself walking along a path in a field
          and finding a tree stump to sit on. Then she
          told that she would see a flower right across
          from where she sat down, and she was
          asked to focus on the flower while I continued
          to talk to her achieving her specific goal.

          Near the close of the session, I asked her
          to describe the flower she had seen. She
          precisely described the colors and arrangement
          of the Yantra I had meditated upon while
          waiting for her. I was a little startled.

          The following day, again while waiting for
          a client, I did different Yantra meditation.
          Hoping to dismiss the "coincidence" of
          the day before, I asked this clilent, who
          wanted to quit smoking, to also see a
          flower as part of his guided meditation.

          You guessed it....he also described the
          same colors and pattern of the Yantra I
          had seen earlier. This time it kind of
          freaked me out.

          I've never tried it again. But it gives me
          pause before blithely denying the
          possibility of "transmission" in the guru/
          student relationship.

          medit8ionsociety <no_reply@y...> wrote:

> [...]
          > remove the false concept that we are different (a body, a mind,
          an
          > emotion, even a separate soul) from it, we will know and be at
          one
          > with everything. Our consciousness awakens to its real natural
          of
          > infinite, eternal Peace, Love, Knowledge, and Bliss, and we live
          > happily ever after. This is the state known as Contemplation.
          So, to
          > summarize, you start by Concentrating, then Meditate by the
          > analytical method, and then this segues into Contemplation. It
          is
          > then when all the ???'s turn into !!!.The Tibetans Buddhists
          consider
          > analytical meditation techniques to be superior to the
          stabilizing.
          > For you, now, it may be possible that this may bring about the
        • Nina
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 18, 2004
            <no_reply@y...> wrote:

            > The Tibetans Buddhists consider
            > analytical meditation techniques to
            > be superior to the stabilizing.

            That's an interesting article, Bob.
            Something came to mind while reading
            that article. Are these two styles of
            meditation so different, afterall?
            Could it be that the analytical
            meditation, in how it repeatedly
            addresses the concept of 'peace'
            with focus and determination, is
            actually... stabilizing?

            It's an interesting piece for me,
            as I've been wondering at the apparent
            gap between the practice of hatha yoga
            by the intuitive (what might be termed
            stabilizing) and analytical streams.
            An example of the intuitive stream
            might be Diane Long's practice, which
            she originally cultivated by working
            closely with Vanda Scaravelli. An example
            of the analytical stream might be yoga
            as practiced by Iyengar, or his students.
            Are they so different?

            I can see the differences and the
            similarities. Probably, the differences
            arise from focus, and what is plucked
            out of 'all the possibilities' as the
            piece to be shared. It is a matter of
            'interest', which has evolved into a
            matter of 'importance'. The moment you
            open your mouth to teach something, you
            capture it, bound it, fix it... and you
            lose site of 'it' as a fluid 'thing'
            at the same time! Though neither necessarily
            represent (so sadly! arumph!)
            the whole picture, they both retain a
            connection to that whole picture... and
            presumably, it would be possible to access
            that whole picture by jumping on the tail
            of either system and climbing that tail
            past the head of that system.

            Nina

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 17, 2015
[...]

                • In theory, eventually, if they kept at it, they would connect everything in the universe, because everything is in some way connected with peace (Einstein’s’ theory of relativity - in a way, all things are relative to everything else). But what actually happens is that the object of your meditation starts to present itself to you and you can sit back in your minds-eye and simply witness your Higher Mind reveal every aspect of peace to you.