Journal Entry-Eve

  • eveneon
    Message 1 of 37 , Nov 7, 2002
      Date: November 7, 2002
      Time: 8:15am
      Duration 55 minutes (open)
      Position: sitting cross-legged on the bed, eyes closed, hands resting
      on lap
      Technique: Body and breath awareness; chanted OM silently

      Mind chatter was medium today. My concentration would teeter back and
      forth from very focused to lost in thought, but I was able to notice
      this and bring my awareness back after only a few breaths. When I
      would find myself getting sidetracked by a thought I would trace it
      back to the point of where I lost my focus. Was it a sound, a body
      sensation, a smell, another thought? I found it easiest to maintain
      my concentration when I focused my awareness on several things at
      once; the sound of my breath going in and out, my lungs expanding and
      contracting, the blackness I see when my eyes are closed, chanting OM
      on the out breath, and overall sensation of my body. Complete
      awareness of all these things would only last a breath or two before
      a thought would come up.
      Several times I felt the urge to end my session and so I asked
      myself "are you ready to end?" This prompted me to keep going. I
      wanted to make sure I came out of my meditation consciously and
      slowly. Today's session was the longest I have had.
    • Tony
      Message 37 of 37 , Nov 15, 2002
        Hi Eve,

        The sound you can hear comes up not only during meditation but at any time
        you become present enough to "listen" to yourself.

        I have found I have up to 5 or more different voices depending on the
        situation and my frame of mind. My typical voice is a logical, reasoning
        type of person - a bit like a college professor I think! I sometimes have
        the voice of child-like astonishment. A very long time ago (over 25 years) I
        was very surprised to hear a dark, mysterious, frightening voice telling me
        to stop playing mind games and go to sleep.

        As you get to know your different voices you get a better picture of your
        frame of mind at the time. The next stage might involve switching voices
        when you need a different way of looking at a situation. A further stage
        still might be inventing a new voice to achieve a desired effect. But maybe
        that is going too far in the wrong direction. Keeping it simple might be a
        better approach. If it happens we notice a change in voice at any time we
        can simply take that into account.

        ...Tony