Re: Meditation Insight - shaping our thoughts

  • Jeff Belyea
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 5, 2004
      Tony -

      This sort of thoughtful analysis,
      while fun and entertaining, and
      not without some value, is not
      meditation in the classic way.

      One does not think (mind chatter)
      their way to the meditative experience,
      and one does not simply not not think.

      While one may use tools and
      techniques as a road map, but they
      eventually must give way in order
      for the meditative experience to
      come in its subtle yet startling
      way of bringing an entirely new
      perspective on how we "know"
      and who we are in this life.

      One must disappear entirely, with
      no concern for or attachment to
      the process, either mind chatter
      or not, or silence or not, or phenomenon
      (the experience of light, sound, taste...)
      or not, before one is in "meditation".

      The meditative way of being is
      a spontaneous way of existing
      in the world, without being "of the world".
      As soon as we stick a mind probe in,
      we are back to our senses and
      out of meditation.

      To ask, "Am I thinking or not thinking"
      is thinking. And thinking or not thinking
      is not meditation.

      Ummmmm?

      Maybe Sandeep's succinct response
      said it all, and my attempts to clarify
      are unnecessarily muddying the water.

      Enjoy the day.

      Seize the moment.

      Then disappear.

      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Tony
      Osime" <tony.osime@f...> wrote:
      > During my session today, I had some insights about our mind
      chatter. I
      > wonder if anyone has any comments to add?
      >
      > As I listened to my usual mind chatter during the period when
      my body
      > was relaxing sufficiently for me to start the deeper part of my
      session,
      > I had this mechanical picture of a thought held in one hand
      while the
      > other hand tried to attach alternate thoughts. If the new thought
      did
      > not fit, it would be discarded and another thought would be
      picked up.
      > This process would continue until some sort of conclusion
      was reached
      > and the modified thought would now be discarded in favor of a
      new
      > thought to be worked on.
      >
      > My sense is that this is a continuous process going on 24
      hours a day.
      > During the night we turn off the thought recording mechanism
      because
      > this makes the process less efficient.
      >
      > The insight I had was that since we can see the process of
      thought
      > development, we can influence the choice of thought to attach.
      We can
      > actually train ourselves to be better thinkers...Maybe not a good
      thing
      > to do while meditating!!!
      >
      > My internet connection will go in a few minutes.
      >
      > The second insight is that the quality of meditation without
      mind
      > chatter is very different from when there is mind chatter.
      Without mind