Re: [Meditation Society of America] Meditation Insight - shaping our thoughts

  • Sandeep Chatterjee
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 4, 2004

      Sent: Sunday, December 05, 2004 3:24 AM
      Subject: [Meditation Society of America] Meditation Insight - shaping our thoughts

      During my session today, I had some insights about our mind chatter. I
      wonder if anyone has any comments to add?

      As I listened to my usual mind chatter during the period when my body
      was relaxing sufficiently for me to start the deeper part of my session,
      I had this mechanical picture of a thought held in one hand while the
      other hand tried to attach alternate thoughts. If the new thought did
      not fit, it would be discarded and another thought would be picked up.
      This process would continue until some sort of conclusion was reached
      and the modified thought would now be discarded in favor of a new
      thought to be worked on.

      My sense is that this is a continuous process going on 24 hours a day.
      During the night we turn off the thought recording mechanism because
      this makes the process less efficient.

      The insight I had was that since we can see the process of thought
      development, we can influence the choice of thought to attach. We can
      actually train ourselves to be better thinkers...Maybe not a good thing
      to do while meditating!!!

      My internet connection will go in a few minutes.

      The second insight is that the quality of meditation without mind
      chatter is very different from when there is mind chatter. Without mind
      chatter adds depth. With mind chatter adds breadth.

      ..Tony

      Without mind chatter

      and

      with mind chatter,.....