Inner Sounds

  • Tony Osime
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 2004
      Hello Everyone,

      Since there was some interest in inner sounds meditation, I decided to
      approach today's session as if I were new to this technique and see what
      suggestions I could give.

      My first reaction was that nothing was happening. I was sitting there
      with earplugs in, eyes closed and yes I could hear a faint background
      sound, but that was it.

      My comment here would be that the quality of sounds that are possible is
      the result of going deeper in to meditation rather than the objective of
      meditation. In other words the sounds respond to your meditative state,
      rather than causing your meditative state (so far as I know). So we need
      to relax and calm our bodies. It takes about 5 - 15 minutes for my
      physical body to become calm enough for me to effectively use my inner
      sounds to guide me. I am so used to calming my body that it happens by
      itself - it is like entering an elevator and simply waiting to get to
      the floor you have selected. I suggest focusing on your breath or some
      other technique to get you to a calm enough level to appreciate your
      inner sounds.

      Some external sounds still enter despite using ear plugs.

      My comment would be to just ignore them and focus on claming your body.
      It is possible that an external sound will trigger a physical reaction
      in you and this will result in a distinct change in the inner sounds. I
      see this as a good sign because you are now using your inner sounds to
      monitor your physical reactions.

      Another comment is on the subtlety of the inner sounds. They respond to
      even the slightest thought. However you will not be able to detect that
      change until you reach a deep enough level of relaxation. The analogy
      that might work is to picture a bath that is full of water. The bottom
      of the bath has a miniature landscape with hills, valleys and all kinds
      of activity. Imagine you are at the same scale as the miniature
      landscape, but floating on top of the water. From that perspective,
      nothing is happening. You just see the flat surface of water. It is not
      until you drain the bath and gently descend to the level the miniature
      landscape that a whole new world unfolds. From my experience the best
      way to drain the bath is to not drain it. That is, do not think about
      it, let it happen on its own.

      Hope that helps...Tony
    • Tony Osime
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 1, 2004
        Hi Bob,

        Thanks for your encouragement and the information on inner sounds. It
        has been a great help to me - both in knowledge and inspiration.

        Many thanks also to Jeff and Sandeep - I always look forward to your
        posts.

        ...Tony
      • bhalla sandeep
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 1, 2004
          Hi Tony,
          It was nice to read the exhange of thoughts between you and Bob. I would like to share something with you. Having gone through a lot many meditation techniques and lot many experiences ranging from out of body astral travels ( without any control on my part ), hearing of the nada sounds, blissfull experiences such as feeling one with the entire creation, rising of extreme love and compassion , startling levels of intution and also very intense and initially scary eruption of the kundalni in the chakra channels, and also having read widely after i had such experiences, so as to clarify my mind, i have changed, the approach itself is changed totally. I dont follow any particular system for meditation. It is all a very natural process. My realisation today is that one should not restrict to any particular technique. My experience is that all these experiences act as speed breakers as you try to replicate your experiences thereafter and the moment one tries, the whole state is gone off the track. All that i do and wish that everyone should do is to get in touch with that common matrix which exists in the entire created and uncreated universe, that common matrix which is there in all living and nonliving, that common matrix which is there in the minutest particle of the creation and in which the entire creation rests. It is colorless, shapeless, formless, without any attributes and yet has it all. All comes from that common field.It is a changeless and yet dynamic state, it is that reality which is your faceless reality before you were born and shall be after you die. Its the only permanent state. Just resting your awareness in that field, the field of common matrix, without expecting any modifications or without desiring for any experiences is the best form of meditation that is possible. It is not a journey at all. its already there and is there right now and shall ever remain to be. Its the birth right of the entire creation. So leaving all practices behind let us all rest our awareness in that which is already present and carry forward no impressions or understandings and go beyond the stage of verbalising. love love love- Sandeep

          Tony Osime <tony.osime@...> wrote:
          Hi Bob,

          Thanks for your encouragement and the information on inner sounds. It
          has been a great help to me - both in knowledge and inspiration.

          Many thanks also to Jeff and Sandeep - I always look forward to your
          posts.

          ...Tony

          Do you Yahoo!?

        • Thomas R. Strauman
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 2, 2004
            No expectations... no judgements... "just do it."  :-D

            Tom S.