Inner Sounds

  • Tony Osime
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 30, 2004

      Message: 3
      Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 07:12:27 -0800 (PST)
      From: "Sara M. Leiste" <leiste@...>
      Subject: Inner Sounds

      A few posts have mentioned inner sounds. COuld someone explain this to
      me?

      THanks!
      Sara
      __________________________________

      Hello Sara,

      I will be glad to share my personal experience of inner sounds
      meditation. First let me say that I am not an expert in meditation - my
      knowledge does not extend very far outside of my personal experience.

      Also, to keep things in perspective, let me say that this is just one of
      possibly hundreds of meditation techniques. Again, with my limited
      experience, I am not sure any technique is fundamentally superior to any
      other. I suggest just going with whatever you are comfortable with.

      And just to stretch my current thinking a little more, let me give you
      the disadvantages of this technique first.

      1) I think that once you start and make progress, it is harder to switch
      to other techniques.
      2) Once you get used to it, it is very hard to meditate outside of your
      normal meditation place. For instance, if you were in a crowded airport,
      people who use other techniques would likely find it easier to meditate
      in that environment.

      Basically, inner sounds meditation is using ear plugs to cut out
      external sounds so you can concentrate on your natural, inner sounds to
      guide you to deeper levels of meditation.

      When you put in ear plugs and remain calm, (closing your eyes will help)
      you will notice that there is a faint background sound that appears to
      come from inside you. It is like the sound of wind through pine trees or
      the sea when you put a sea shell against your ear.

      At first this sound appears constant - like the white noise you get when
      a TV is not tuned to a station. After a while you begin to notice subtle
      variations. After some months of practice, you should be able to hear a
      complex kaleidoscope of sounds swirling as in a dance. Eventually you
      will begin to appreciate that these sounds ebb and flow with your state
      of mind. As you go deeper and deeper into your meditation you should
      notice that the sounds change octave. My thinking is that eventually you
      should be able to interpret the sounds as feedback of your meditation.

      One of my favorite uses of the inner sounds is to guide me in a
      meditation direction. What I do is select one of the sub sounds and
      simply focus my attention on it. As that sound becomes more prominent,
      my meditation goes in a particular direction. For me the discoveries are
      fascinating.

      One word of advice is to exercise patience. Let your body relax first.
      Be more of a passive listener than an aggressive searcher. The more
      passive and introspective you are the clearer you will notice the
      variations in sounds.

      I hope you will try out this type of meditation and share your
      experiences with us.

      ...Tony
    • Tony Osime
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 1, 2004
        Hello Everyone,

        Since there was some interest in inner sounds meditation, I decided to
        approach today's session as if I were new to this technique and see what
        suggestions I could give.

        My first reaction was that nothing was happening. I was sitting there
        with earplugs in, eyes closed and yes I could hear a faint background
        sound, but that was it.

        My comment here would be that the quality of sounds that are possible is
        the result of going deeper in to meditation rather than the objective of
        meditation. In other words the sounds respond to your meditative state,
        rather than causing your meditative state (so far as I know). So we need
        to relax and calm our bodies. It takes about 5 - 15 minutes for my
        physical body to become calm enough for me to effectively use my inner
        sounds to guide me. I am so used to calming my body that it happens by
        itself - it is like entering an elevator and simply waiting to get to
        the floor you have selected. I suggest focusing on your breath or some
        other technique to get you to a calm enough level to appreciate your
        inner sounds.

        Some external sounds still enter despite using ear plugs.

        My comment would be to just ignore them and focus on claming your body.
        It is possible that an external sound will trigger a physical reaction
        in you and this will result in a distinct change in the inner sounds. I
        see this as a good sign because you are now using your inner sounds to
        monitor your physical reactions.

        Another comment is on the subtlety of the inner sounds. They respond to
        even the slightest thought. However you will not be able to detect that
        change until you reach a deep enough level of relaxation. The analogy
        that might work is to picture a bath that is full of water. The bottom
        of the bath has a miniature landscape with hills, valleys and all kinds
        of activity. Imagine you are at the same scale as the miniature
        landscape, but floating on top of the water. From that perspective,
        nothing is happening. You just see the flat surface of water. It is not
        until you drain the bath and gently descend to the level the miniature
        landscape that a whole new world unfolds. From my experience the best
        way to drain the bath is to not drain it. That is, do not think about
        it, let it happen on its own.

        Hope that helps...Tony
      • Tony Osime
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 1, 2004
          Hi Bob,

          Thanks for your encouragement and the information on inner sounds. It
          has been a great help to me - both in knowledge and inspiration.

          Many thanks also to Jeff and Sandeep - I always look forward to your
          posts.

          ...Tony
        • bhalla sandeep
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 1, 2004
            Hi Tony,
            It was nice to read the exhange of thoughts between you and Bob. I would like to share something with you. Having gone through a lot many meditation techniques and lot many experiences ranging from out of body astral travels ( without any control on my part ), hearing of the nada sounds, blissfull experiences such as feeling one with the entire creation, rising of extreme love and compassion , startling levels of intution and also very intense and initially scary eruption of the kundalni in the chakra channels, and also having read widely after i had such experiences, so as to clarify my mind, i have changed, the approach itself is changed totally. I dont follow any particular system for meditation. It is all a very natural process. My realisation today is that one should not restrict to any particular technique. My experience is that all these experiences act as speed breakers as you try to replicate your experiences thereafter and the moment one tries, the whole state is gone off the track. All that i do and wish that everyone should do is to get in touch with that common matrix which exists in the entire created and uncreated universe, that common matrix which is there in all living and nonliving, that common matrix which is there in the minutest particle of the creation and in which the entire creation rests. It is colorless, shapeless, formless, without any attributes and yet has it all. All comes from that common field.It is a changeless and yet dynamic state, it is that reality which is your faceless reality before you were born and shall be after you die. Its the only permanent state. Just resting your awareness in that field, the field of common matrix, without expecting any modifications or without desiring for any experiences is the best form of meditation that is possible. It is not a journey at all. its already there and is there right now and shall ever remain to be. Its the birth right of the entire creation. So leaving all practices behind let us all rest our awareness in that which is already present and carry forward no impressions or understandings and go beyond the stage of verbalising. love love love- Sandeep

            Tony Osime <tony.osime@...> wrote:
            Hi Bob,

            Thanks for your encouragement and the information on inner sounds. It
            has been a great help to me - both in knowledge and inspiration.

            Many thanks also to Jeff and Sandeep - I always look forward to your
            posts.

            ...Tony

            Do you Yahoo!?

          • Thomas R. Strauman
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 2, 2004
              No expectations... no judgements... "just do it."  :-D

              Tom S.