Re: [Meditation Society of America] Inner Sounds

  • sarif mir
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 30, 2004

      "Sara M. Leiste" <leiste@...> wrote:

      A few posts have mentioned inner sounds. COuld someone explain this to me?

      THanks!
      Sara

      Thanks sara for your mail.I am sorry that I have no better knowledge about inner sounds.I have some some knowledge about meditation and aura.

      Thank you

      sarifmir

      http://my.yahoo.com

      http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/OnSolB/TM

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • Tony Osime
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 30, 2004

        Message: 3
        Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 07:12:27 -0800 (PST)
        From: "Sara M. Leiste" <leiste@...>
        Subject: Inner Sounds

        A few posts have mentioned inner sounds. COuld someone explain this to
        me?

        THanks!
        Sara
        __________________________________

        Hello Sara,

        I will be glad to share my personal experience of inner sounds
        meditation. First let me say that I am not an expert in meditation - my
        knowledge does not extend very far outside of my personal experience.

        Also, to keep things in perspective, let me say that this is just one of
        possibly hundreds of meditation techniques. Again, with my limited
        experience, I am not sure any technique is fundamentally superior to any
        other. I suggest just going with whatever you are comfortable with.

        And just to stretch my current thinking a little more, let me give you
        the disadvantages of this technique first.

        1) I think that once you start and make progress, it is harder to switch
        to other techniques.
        2) Once you get used to it, it is very hard to meditate outside of your
        normal meditation place. For instance, if you were in a crowded airport,
        people who use other techniques would likely find it easier to meditate
        in that environment.

        Basically, inner sounds meditation is using ear plugs to cut out
        external sounds so you can concentrate on your natural, inner sounds to
        guide you to deeper levels of meditation.

        When you put in ear plugs and remain calm, (closing your eyes will help)
        you will notice that there is a faint background sound that appears to
        come from inside you. It is like the sound of wind through pine trees or
        the sea when you put a sea shell against your ear.

        At first this sound appears constant - like the white noise you get when
        a TV is not tuned to a station. After a while you begin to notice subtle
        variations. After some months of practice, you should be able to hear a
        complex kaleidoscope of sounds swirling as in a dance. Eventually you
        will begin to appreciate that these sounds ebb and flow with your state
        of mind. As you go deeper and deeper into your meditation you should
        notice that the sounds change octave. My thinking is that eventually you
        should be able to interpret the sounds as feedback of your meditation.

        One of my favorite uses of the inner sounds is to guide me in a
        meditation direction. What I do is select one of the sub sounds and
        simply focus my attention on it. As that sound becomes more prominent,
        my meditation goes in a particular direction. For me the discoveries are
        fascinating.

        One word of advice is to exercise patience. Let your body relax first.
        Be more of a passive listener than an aggressive searcher. The more
        passive and introspective you are the clearer you will notice the
        variations in sounds.

        I hope you will try out this type of meditation and share your
        experiences with us.

        ...Tony
      • Tony Osime
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 1, 2004
          Hello Everyone,

          Since there was some interest in inner sounds meditation, I decided to
          approach today's session as if I were new to this technique and see what
          suggestions I could give.

          My first reaction was that nothing was happening. I was sitting there
          with earplugs in, eyes closed and yes I could hear a faint background
          sound, but that was it.

          My comment here would be that the quality of sounds that are possible is
          the result of going deeper in to meditation rather than the objective of
          meditation. In other words the sounds respond to your meditative state,
          rather than causing your meditative state (so far as I know). So we need
          to relax and calm our bodies. It takes about 5 - 15 minutes for my
          physical body to become calm enough for me to effectively use my inner
          sounds to guide me. I am so used to calming my body that it happens by
          itself - it is like entering an elevator and simply waiting to get to
          the floor you have selected. I suggest focusing on your breath or some
          other technique to get you to a calm enough level to appreciate your
          inner sounds.

          Some external sounds still enter despite using ear plugs.

          My comment would be to just ignore them and focus on claming your body.
          It is possible that an external sound will trigger a physical reaction
          in you and this will result in a distinct change in the inner sounds. I
          see this as a good sign because you are now using your inner sounds to
          monitor your physical reactions.

          Another comment is on the subtlety of the inner sounds. They respond to
          even the slightest thought. However you will not be able to detect that
          change until you reach a deep enough level of relaxation. The analogy
          that might work is to picture a bath that is full of water. The bottom
          of the bath has a miniature landscape with hills, valleys and all kinds
          of activity. Imagine you are at the same scale as the miniature
          landscape, but floating on top of the water. From that perspective,
          nothing is happening. You just see the flat surface of water. It is not
          until you drain the bath and gently descend to the level the miniature
          landscape that a whole new world unfolds. From my experience the best
          way to drain the bath is to not drain it. That is, do not think about
          it, let it happen on its own.

          Hope that helps...Tony
        • Tony Osime
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 1, 2004
            Hi Bob,

            Thanks for your encouragement and the information on inner sounds. It
            has been a great help to me - both in knowledge and inspiration.

            Many thanks also to Jeff and Sandeep - I always look forward to your
            posts.

            ...Tony
          • bhalla sandeep
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 1, 2004
              Hi Tony,
              It was nice to read the exhange of thoughts between you and Bob. I would like to share something with you. Having gone through a lot many meditation techniques and lot many experiences ranging from out of body astral travels ( without any control on my part ), hearing of the nada sounds, blissfull experiences such as feeling one with the entire creation, rising of extreme love and compassion , startling levels of intution and also very intense and initially scary eruption of the kundalni in the chakra channels, and also having read widely after i had such experiences, so as to clarify my mind, i have changed, the approach itself is changed totally. I dont follow any particular system for meditation. It is all a very natural process. My realisation today is that one should not restrict to any particular technique. My experience is that all these experiences act as speed breakers as you try to replicate your experiences thereafter and the moment one tries, the whole state is gone off the track. All that i do and wish that everyone should do is to get in touch with that common matrix which exists in the entire created and uncreated universe, that common matrix which is there in all living and nonliving, that common matrix which is there in the minutest particle of the creation and in which the entire creation rests. It is colorless, shapeless, formless, without any attributes and yet has it all. All comes from that common field.It is a changeless and yet dynamic state, it is that reality which is your faceless reality before you were born and shall be after you die. Its the only permanent state. Just resting your awareness in that field, the field of common matrix, without expecting any modifications or without desiring for any experiences is the best form of meditation that is possible. It is not a journey at all. its already there and is there right now and shall ever remain to be. Its the birth right of the entire creation. So leaving all practices behind let us all rest our awareness in that which is already present and carry forward no impressions or understandings and go beyond the stage of verbalising. love love love- Sandeep

              Tony Osime <tony.osime@...> wrote:
              Hi Bob,

              Thanks for your encouragement and the information on inner sounds. It
              has been a great help to me - both in knowledge and inspiration.

              Many thanks also to Jeff and Sandeep - I always look forward to your
              posts.

              ...Tony

              Do you Yahoo!?

            • Thomas R. Strauman
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 2, 2004
                No expectations... no judgements... "just do it."  :-D

                Tom S.