RE: [Meditation Society of America] Inner Sounds

  • Thomas R. Strauman
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 29, 2004
      Yes, I was wondering the same thing.

      Tom
    • sarif mir
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 30, 2004

        "Sara M. Leiste" <leiste@...> wrote:

        A few posts have mentioned inner sounds. COuld someone explain this to me?

        THanks!
        Sara

        Thanks sara for your mail.I am sorry that I have no better knowledge about inner sounds.I have some some knowledge about meditation and aura.

        Thank you

        sarifmir

        http://my.yahoo.com

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/OnSolB/TM

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Do you Yahoo!?
      • Tony Osime
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 30, 2004

          Message: 3
          Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 07:12:27 -0800 (PST)
          From: "Sara M. Leiste" <leiste@...>
          Subject: Inner Sounds

          A few posts have mentioned inner sounds. COuld someone explain this to
          me?

          THanks!
          Sara
          __________________________________

          Hello Sara,

          I will be glad to share my personal experience of inner sounds
          meditation. First let me say that I am not an expert in meditation - my
          knowledge does not extend very far outside of my personal experience.

          Also, to keep things in perspective, let me say that this is just one of
          possibly hundreds of meditation techniques. Again, with my limited
          experience, I am not sure any technique is fundamentally superior to any
          other. I suggest just going with whatever you are comfortable with.

          And just to stretch my current thinking a little more, let me give you
          the disadvantages of this technique first.

          1) I think that once you start and make progress, it is harder to switch
          to other techniques.
          2) Once you get used to it, it is very hard to meditate outside of your
          normal meditation place. For instance, if you were in a crowded airport,
          people who use other techniques would likely find it easier to meditate
          in that environment.

          Basically, inner sounds meditation is using ear plugs to cut out
          external sounds so you can concentrate on your natural, inner sounds to
          guide you to deeper levels of meditation.

          When you put in ear plugs and remain calm, (closing your eyes will help)
          you will notice that there is a faint background sound that appears to
          come from inside you. It is like the sound of wind through pine trees or
          the sea when you put a sea shell against your ear.

          At first this sound appears constant - like the white noise you get when
          a TV is not tuned to a station. After a while you begin to notice subtle
          variations. After some months of practice, you should be able to hear a
          complex kaleidoscope of sounds swirling as in a dance. Eventually you
          will begin to appreciate that these sounds ebb and flow with your state
          of mind. As you go deeper and deeper into your meditation you should
          notice that the sounds change octave. My thinking is that eventually you
          should be able to interpret the sounds as feedback of your meditation.

          One of my favorite uses of the inner sounds is to guide me in a
          meditation direction. What I do is select one of the sub sounds and
          simply focus my attention on it. As that sound becomes more prominent,
          my meditation goes in a particular direction. For me the discoveries are
          fascinating.

          One word of advice is to exercise patience. Let your body relax first.
          Be more of a passive listener than an aggressive searcher. The more
          passive and introspective you are the clearer you will notice the
          variations in sounds.

          I hope you will try out this type of meditation and share your
          experiences with us.

          ...Tony
        • Tony Osime
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 1, 2004
            Hello Everyone,

            Since there was some interest in inner sounds meditation, I decided to
            approach today's session as if I were new to this technique and see what
            suggestions I could give.

            My first reaction was that nothing was happening. I was sitting there
            with earplugs in, eyes closed and yes I could hear a faint background
            sound, but that was it.

            My comment here would be that the quality of sounds that are possible is
            the result of going deeper in to meditation rather than the objective of
            meditation. In other words the sounds respond to your meditative state,
            rather than causing your meditative state (so far as I know). So we need
            to relax and calm our bodies. It takes about 5 - 15 minutes for my
            physical body to become calm enough for me to effectively use my inner
            sounds to guide me. I am so used to calming my body that it happens by
            itself - it is like entering an elevator and simply waiting to get to
            the floor you have selected. I suggest focusing on your breath or some
            other technique to get you to a calm enough level to appreciate your
            inner sounds.

            Some external sounds still enter despite using ear plugs.

            My comment would be to just ignore them and focus on claming your body.
            It is possible that an external sound will trigger a physical reaction
            in you and this will result in a distinct change in the inner sounds. I
            see this as a good sign because you are now using your inner sounds to
            monitor your physical reactions.

            Another comment is on the subtlety of the inner sounds. They respond to
            even the slightest thought. However you will not be able to detect that
            change until you reach a deep enough level of relaxation. The analogy
            that might work is to picture a bath that is full of water. The bottom
            of the bath has a miniature landscape with hills, valleys and all kinds
            of activity. Imagine you are at the same scale as the miniature
            landscape, but floating on top of the water. From that perspective,
            nothing is happening. You just see the flat surface of water. It is not
            until you drain the bath and gently descend to the level the miniature
            landscape that a whole new world unfolds. From my experience the best
            way to drain the bath is to not drain it. That is, do not think about
            it, let it happen on its own.

            Hope that helps...Tony
          • Tony Osime
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 1, 2004
              Hi Bob,

              Thanks for your encouragement and the information on inner sounds. It
              has been a great help to me - both in knowledge and inspiration.

              Many thanks also to Jeff and Sandeep - I always look forward to your
              posts.

              ...Tony
            • bhalla sandeep

                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 2, 2004
                  No expectations... no judgements... "just do it."  :-D

                  Tom S.