Inner Sounds

  • Sara M. Leiste
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 29, 2004
      A few posts have mentioned inner sounds. COuld someone explain this to me?

      THanks!
      Sara

      http://my.yahoo.com
    • Thomas R. Strauman
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 29, 2004
        Yes, I was wondering the same thing.

        Tom
      • sarif mir
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 30, 2004

          "Sara M. Leiste" <leiste@...> wrote:

          A few posts have mentioned inner sounds. COuld someone explain this to me?

          THanks!
          Sara

          Thanks sara for your mail.I am sorry that I have no better knowledge about inner sounds.I have some some knowledge about meditation and aura.

          Thank you

          sarifmir

          http://my.yahoo.com

          http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/OnSolB/TM

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Do you Yahoo!?
        • Tony Osime
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 30, 2004

            Message: 3
            Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 07:12:27 -0800 (PST)
            From: "Sara M. Leiste" <leiste@...>
            Subject: Inner Sounds

            A few posts have mentioned inner sounds. COuld someone explain this to
            me?

            THanks!
            Sara
            __________________________________

            Hello Sara,

            I will be glad to share my personal experience of inner sounds
            meditation. First let me say that I am not an expert in meditation - my
            knowledge does not extend very far outside of my personal experience.

            Also, to keep things in perspective, let me say that this is just one of
            possibly hundreds of meditation techniques. Again, with my limited
            experience, I am not sure any technique is fundamentally superior to any
            other. I suggest just going with whatever you are comfortable with.

            And just to stretch my current thinking a little more, let me give you
            the disadvantages of this technique first.

            1) I think that once you start and make progress, it is harder to switch
            to other techniques.
            2) Once you get used to it, it is very hard to meditate outside of your
            normal meditation place. For instance, if you were in a crowded airport,
            people who use other techniques would likely find it easier to meditate
            in that environment.

            Basically, inner sounds meditation is using ear plugs to cut out
            external sounds so you can concentrate on your natural, inner sounds to
            guide you to deeper levels of meditation.

            When you put in ear plugs and remain calm, (closing your eyes will help)
            you will notice that there is a faint background sound that appears to
            come from inside you. It is like the sound of wind through pine trees or
            the sea when you put a sea shell against your ear.

            At first this sound appears constant - like the white noise you get when
            a TV is not tuned to a station. After a while you begin to notice subtle
            variations. After some months of practice, you should be able to hear a
            complex kaleidoscope of sounds swirling as in a dance. Eventually you
            will begin to appreciate that these sounds ebb and flow with your state
            of mind. As you go deeper and deeper into your meditation you should
            notice that the sounds change octave. My thinking is that eventually you
            should be able to interpret the sounds as feedback of your meditation.

            One of my favorite uses of the inner sounds is to guide me in a
            meditation direction. What I do is select one of the sub sounds and
            simply focus my attention on it. As that sound becomes more prominent,
            my meditation goes in a particular direction. For me the discoveries are
            fascinating.

            One word of advice is to exercise patience. Let your body relax first.
            Be more of a passive listener than an aggressive searcher. The more
            passive and introspective you are the clearer you will notice the
            variations in sounds.

            I hope you will try out this type of meditation and share your
            experiences with us.

            ...Tony
          • Tony Osime
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 1, 2004
              Hello Everyone,

              Since there was some interest in inner sounds meditation, I decided to
              approach today's session as if I were new to this technique and see what
              suggestions I could give.

              My first reaction was that nothing was happening. I was sitting there
              with earplugs in, eyes closed and yes I could hear a faint background
              sound, but that was it.

              My comment here would be that the quality of sounds that are possible is
              the result of going deeper in to meditation rather than the objective of
              meditation. In other words the sounds respond to your meditative state,
              rather than causing your meditative state (so far as I know). So we need
              to relax and calm our bodies. It takes about 5 - 15 minutes for my
              physical body to become calm enough for me to effectively use my inner
              sounds to guide me. I am so used to calming my body that it happens by
              itself - it is like entering an elevator and simply waiting to get to
              the floor you have selected. I suggest focusing on your breath or some
              other technique to get you to a calm enough level to appreciate your
              inner sounds.

              Some external sounds still enter despite using ear plugs.

              My comment would be to just ignore them and focus on claming your body.
              It is possible that an external sound will trigger a physical reaction
              in you and this will result in a distinct change in the inner sounds. I
              see this as a good sign because you are now using your inner sounds to
              monitor your physical reactions.

              Another comment is on the subtlety of the inner sounds. They respond to
              even the slightest thought. However you will not be able to detect that
              change until you reach a deep enough level of relaxation. The analogy
              that might work is to picture a bath that is full of water. The bottom
              of the bath has a miniature landscape with hills, valleys and all kinds
              of activity. Imagine you are at the same scale as the miniature
              landscape, but floating on top of the water. From that perspective,
              nothing is happening. You just see the flat surface of water. It is not
              until you drain the bath and gently descend to the level the miniature
              landscape that a whole new world unfolds. From my experience the best
              way to drain the bath is to not drain it. That is, do not think about
              it, let it happen on its own.

              Hope that helps...Tony
            • Tony Osime
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 1, 2004
                Hi Bob,

                Thanks for your encouragement and the information on inner sounds. It
                has been a great help to me - both in knowledge and inspiration.

                Many thanks also to Jeff and Sandeep - I always look forward to your
                posts.

                ...Tony
              • bhalla sandeep

                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 2, 2004
                    No expectations... no judgements... "just do it."  :-D

                    Tom S.