Starting Over 4

  • Tony Osime
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 28, 2004
      Hello Everyone,

      This morning's meditation session reminded me of the problem of the
      inner voice. That self-talk that provides a constant commentary inside
      our heads. After over a year of not meditating, I had almost forgotten
      that it was one of the hurdles you had to clear to reach deeper levels
      of meditation.

      During today's session, I noticed that the inner voice did not have one
      character or personality but subtly different ones based on the topic
      and mood. What I did was to associate an appropriate face with each
      voice and simulate that face talking to me with the words of the inner
      voice. As the voice changed, I changed the face to make it more suitable
      for the voice.

      This approach had an interesting effect. I noticed that the strength of
      the inner voice lessened as I associated a face with the voice. The act
      of associating a face seemed to distance the voice from myself. It was
      as if I was disassociating the voice and my real self. My real self was
      more like an impartial observer. The voice was more like a reaction or
      commentary to different things.

      After doing this a few times I noticed that the last face was very close
      to my own real face. This was fascinating. It was like looking into a
      mirror and seeing yourself talking. The beauty of this was that it
      helped me really appreciate that my real or inner self was not voice but
      the watcher of the voice. My real or inner self did not care what the
      voice said, it just observed.

      It was a nice mediation session. I felt I had made some progress in self
      understanding. My inner sounds took on new, deeper tones giving me a
      sense that I had covered new ground. The session gave me a nice feeling
      of peace that I carried with me during the day. Whenever a disruptive
      situation arose, I could recreate the meditation feelings and this would
      bring a nice calmness to my responses.

      I am still happy with not being a slave to a particular technique or
      process in meditation. I sense that these were more of a distraction
      than I appreciated at the time. In a similar way I feel that our
      emotions are distractions to our natural state which is close to that
      observer state I experienced in today's meditation.

      Bye...Tony
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 28, 2004
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Osime"
        <tony.osime@f...> wrote:
        > Hello Everyone,
        >
        > This morning's meditation session reminded me of the problem of the
        > inner voice. That self-talk that provides a constant commentary inside
        > our heads. After over a year of not meditating, I had almost forgotten
        > that it was one of the hurdles you had to clear to reach deeper levels
        > of meditation.
        >
        > During today's session, I noticed that the inner voice did not have one
        > character or personality but subtly different ones based on the topic
        > and mood. What I did was to associate an appropriate face with each
        > voice and simulate that face talking to me with the words of the inner
        > voice. As the voice changed, I changed the face to make it more suitable
        > for the voice.
        >
        > This approach had an interesting effect. I noticed that the strength of
        > the inner voice lessened as I associated a face with the voice. The act
        > of associating a face seemed to distance the voice from myself. It was
        > as if I was disassociating the voice and my real self. My real self was
        > more like an impartial observer. The voice was more like a reaction or
        > commentary to different things.
        >
        > After doing this a few times I noticed that the last face was very close
        > to my own real face. This was fascinating. It was like looking into a
        > mirror and seeing yourself talking. The beauty of this was that it
        > helped me really appreciate that my real or inner self was not voice but
        > the watcher of the voice. My real or inner self did not care what the
        > voice said, it just observed.
        >
        > It was a nice mediation session. I felt I had made some progress in self
        > understanding. My inner sounds took on new, deeper tones giving me a
        > sense that I had covered new ground. The session gave me a nice feeling
        > of peace that I carried with me during the day. Whenever a disruptive
        > situation arose, I could recreate the meditation feelings and this would
        > bring a nice calmness to my responses.
        >
        > I am still happy with not being a slave to a particular technique or
        > process in meditation. I sense that these were more of a distraction
        > than I appreciated at the time. In a similar way I feel that our
        > emotions are distractions to our natural state which is close to that
        > observer state I experienced in today's meditation.
        >
        > Bye...Tony

        Dear Tonyji,
        Beautiful! Witnessing that "...my real or inner self was not voice but
        the watcher of the voice. My real or inner self did not care what the
        voice said, it just observed." is a profound understanding. It seems
        that your year off has given you great growth in meditation. Thanks
        you for sharing.